ADSL2+ Slow in WA

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
zebra3

ADSL2+ Slow in WA

Post by zebra3 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm

WA, Rivervale - a new service, Modem syncs at over 4Mb/s

Throughput is just above dialup speeds of 56-70kbps to http://exetel.com.au/speed, consistent at this slooooow speed since installed as a new service. Exetel blaming everyone except themselves and they want me to pay Tesltra to get the line checked out !

Regards
Has the 'Big Zee' finally flipped?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ADSL2+ Slow in WA

Post by Gidget » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:18 pm

Yep, the 'Big Zee" has finally flipped :)

1) If you think it was Exetel's fault that would mean there was an Exetel network issue which affected more customers than just you - that is clearly not the case (I'm sure you don't think they are out to get just you).

2) I imagine you are talking about Telstra's fee for service - this ONLY applies if Telstra finds no fault in their infrastructure. In other words, if Telstra checks your line and determines there is no fault between the exchange and the first connection to your property, or if they determine that there this a fault within your property, then they charge Exetel for having their time wasted and Exetel simply passes this charge on to you. If, on the other hand, Telstra finds a fault in their infrastructure, they will fix it at no cost to you.

If I have misunderstood your complaint please post again.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

zebra3

Post by zebra3 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:24 am

Sorry, my oriiginal post was out of line - and I do apologise for being so abrupt - it was out of frustration :x . I'm an early March 2004 Exetel customer and have loyal for all these years. :D

What is not clear from the helpdesk email, is if Telstra finds no fault with the premises and charge Exetel for a visit , but the slow response is not fixed and is subsequently found to be an issue outside of my scope of influence, will the charge be passed back to me ? If it is passed back, then why?

I'm more than happy to pay for Telstra if I have stuffed up and and failed the simple test as passed on by the Exetel helpdesk.

So a simple question is if after the Telstra visit, the ADSL2 service is still performing just above dialup speeds, will Exetel charge me for the visit given that they believed it was a CPE error and organised a Tesltra visit as part of their fault finding process?

Regards
Zee

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Zee

I can obviously only speak in general terms here, but Exetel will charge you if Telstra charges them (i.e. Exetel will pass the charge on).

Before requesting a Telstra visit you need to eliminate as far as possible the parts of your telephone line and your CPE that ARE your responsibility eg by doing an isolation test at the first socket, preferably with a new cable, without an extension cord etc. You should also test another modem, possibly a different brand as well. If you are now living in a block of units, that makes the situation even more complicated (if this is your situation, post again and I'll explain.)

If you are charged for an incorrect call-out and the issue is subsequently found to be an issue outside of your scope of influence, then you would need to take that up with Billing at Exetel who in their turn would need to take it up with Telstra. In this case, although it appears unfair that you are out of pocket, it is similarly unfair that Exetel should be out of pocket by simply refunding you. The matter would need to be taken back to Telstra first.

I hope this helps.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

zebra3

Post by zebra3 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 pm

Gidget

Quote:

"Before requesting a Telstra visit you need to eliminate as far as possible the parts of your telephone line and your CPE that ARE your responsibility eg by doing an isolation test at the first socket, preferably with a new cable, without an extension cord etc."

I can understand this, and it is totally logical and acceptable. In the same vain, Exetel should also need to eliminate as far as possible the parts of their infrastructure that they control both directly and indirectly via their suppliers. - such as DSLAM configurations, bandwidth limitiations from a previously used port on the MUX etc. I would hope and expect that all avenues open to Exetel are explored before getting Telstra involved and not after.

Simply, there are only three parties involved.

1. End User - provides service infrastructure after the first socket (and equipment that is connected to Telstra copper at their premises [phone(s)/modem/filters/back to base alarm/foxtel/fax etc])

2. Exetel - Provides the actual internet service through their suppliers.

3. Tesltra -provides copper from the DSLAM to the customers

In short, the person/organisation who should pay is the one where the fault lies.

If Tesltra is Ok and the CPE is Ok and Exetel is Ok - but there is still a fault (somewhere) then the product is obviously not fit for the purpose it was purchased, but there are already consumer protection laws that cater for that situation.