I have this friend who...

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
gmphoto

Re: I have this friend who...

Post by gmphoto » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:46 am

CoreyPlover wrote:If it is a copper line that Optus leased from Telstra then Exetel provisioning should detect it and proceed with the ADSL activation. I would assume other resellers of Optus infrastructure services would also do something similar.

If it is an Optus cable then it gets rejected outright

If it is a copper line that is not leased from Telstra, then I don't know exactly.
As I thought. Exetel supplies DSL through Optus in the end anyway, don't they?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 am

gmphoto wrote:As I thought. Exetel supplies DSL through Optus in the end anyway, don't they?
For Naked and bundled services, yes.

Hierbs

Post by Hierbs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:10 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:But, now Telstra have introduced a "temporary line fee" where they charge $100 if a third party provider takes the line away from Telstra within the first 3 months. So you can still to the above process, but it now costs $100 more.

Unfortunately I do not know of any ideal alternative to the above. Exetel offer to do the phone line provisioning on your behalf but only if you are an existing relocating customer. This option is not yet available for new customers. There are some ways to make the cost cheaper, but they involve some level of inconvenience:
  • Get the Telstra line, keep using HSPA for 3 months and then apply for Exetel; or
  • Get the Telstra line, apply for Exetel ADSL1, keep the ADSL1 for 6 months (contract term) then upgrade to ADSL2+
Personally, I'd just pay the Telstra costs and get ADSL2 as soon as possible. The extra $100 is effectively recouped in monthly savings over an interval of several months and if your friend desires high quota downloads then I think the convenience of Exetel's ADSL2+ services would be worth the up-front cost
I have the same problem I guess, I'm an existing customer and tried to relocate my service to my new house, but was rejected because there is no copper line to work with. Called the owner and she said that they had an active phoneline with telstra 3 years ago, so I will assume that they disconnected their phone before leaving. Hence the copper line was disconnected. Is there way to avoid you know reapp with telstra and get charged the $100 early cancellation? As in exetel can contract someone to reconnect the phoneline without service and relocate me?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Do a forum search on relocation. CoreyPlover has several posts concerning the details of a lower-cost $90 connection available for existing Exetel customers. It is not mentioned in the main web site to my knowledge.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:50 pm

Dazzled wrote:Do a forum search on relocation. CoreyPlover has several posts concerning the details of a lower-cost $90 connection available for existing Exetel customers. It is not mentioned in the main web site to my knowledge.
It might be more expensive now. Previously, the $90 was intended to cover the $40 ADSL2+ activation charge, plus an extra $50 to get Optus to do the equivalent of Telstra's $59 phone line activation (effectively saving $9 and avoiding Telstra's temporary line fee). But for this to work, you need a physical copper line to the house.

If this is the case (that there is a physical copper wire going into a wall socket at the new premises, you are on a bundled or naked plan now and moving to a bundled or naked plan) then you can apply in your Member Facilities to relocate your service and avoid Telstra.

If any of these items are not the case, then you are stuck with using Telstra to activate the phone line first. In fact you may have to pay $159 for the phone line (instead of $59) if there is any wall point rewiring work needed and $299 if a new copper line needs to be laid. And then the $100 temporary line cancellation is on top of this.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Hierbs

Post by Hierbs » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:54 pm

So i guess i am stuck with telstra to reconnect my phone physically and since they said they will only connect my phone physically if I apply for one of their plans which gives me a 100 cancellation fee sigh...., is there a way to get a third party contractor/cable technician to just reconnect my phone line physically so i can avoid the 100 cancellation fee from telstra and so i can relocate my service?

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Hierbs wrote:So i guess i am stuck with telstra to reconnect my phone physically and since they said they will only connect my phone physically if I apply for one of their plans which gives me a 100 cancellation fee sigh...., is there a way to get a third party contractor/cable technician to just reconnect my phone line physically so i can avoid the 100 cancellation fee from telstra and so i can relocate my service?
A third party contractor can't reconnect your phone line at the exchange, which is what is required - the line needs to be active, ie, you need to have a dialtone and can make and take calls. Only Telstra themselves can do this.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:06 am

Hierbs wrote:Is there a way to get a third party contractor/cable technician to just reconnect my phone line physically so i can avoid the 100 cancellation fee from telstra and so i can relocate my service?
No. My advice is just pay the $100 Telstra fee. It is a sunk cost, but you recoup the value over a number of months of cheap Exetel internet anyway.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au