Just need some advise regarding my ADSL2+ speed

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
jromz03

Just need some advise regarding my ADSL2+ speed

Post by jromz03 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm not really here to complain (;)), more like wondering why there are sometimes my ADSL2+ would sync to godly speeds but most of the time it would be 'normal'.

First off, my modem is a D-Link DSL-604T and I'm in Ermington, NSW. Phone number of 0296385969

Now, 'normally' my sync speeds are between 6-7Mbps. Which is already acceptable to me. Sure I may get the occassional out of sync event, but generally I'm happy with that.
But sometimes it just syncs to 12Mbps! I'm very happy with that! :D
Of course that usually will not last long. Usually a few hours or until I get an out of sync.

Before I tried doing an isolation test and even called up Telstra and ask them to try to fix my 'noisy' line (I tell them I hear a buzzing noise when I use the phone). None of them worked and my sync speeds remains at 6-7, which is still great for me.

But now I just sync'd up to 12Mbps again and doing a speed test (http://www.exetel.com.au/speed) confirms the speed. Sometimes I can't take this teasing :( ;)

So anyway, whats happening with my line anyway? Please advise, thanks. :)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Just need some advise regarding my ADSL2+ speed

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:40 pm

You shouldn't have an audibly noisy phone line. If that is fixed the internet speed may well stabilise. Have you noticed the noise margins as well as the rate changes? If you have a bundled ADSL2 service (Optus-based), you should raise a fault with Exetel. If you have a Powertel plan, the phone is Telstra's baby. It wouldn't hurt to check that the phone is still noisy with everything else disconnected as a kind of phone isolation test.