How to minimize downtime when moving w Naked ADSL?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
thomas261989

How to minimize downtime when moving w Naked ADSL?

Post by thomas261989 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:26 am

Hi all,
I have been w Exetel more than a year and now I'm moving to a new property. My contract has expired and I also have VoIP w Exetel. What should I do to minimize the period w/o Internet?
BTW, I'm moving on the 28th of Dec, how soon should I expect to set up my new Internet connection?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: How to minimize downtime when moving w Naked ADSL?

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:00 pm

Best way to relocate ADSL is via your member facilities; there is an option to "Move ADSL to new location". Here you can select from the current range of ADSL services, and Exetel will provision the new service, migrate your account over then cancel the old service.

If you are on a Naked service, moving to a Naked service, then Exetel can activate the phone line for you (assuming there is a copper line to the premises). I don't know if they offer the same for Bundled services, but you are free to email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to confirm, or to see if you can tweak the cut-over date once you have submitted the application.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:08 pm

We do the same for Bundled services, if the number can't be kept, a new number for the area you move to is issued.

Submission via members facilities works best - "ADSL" -> "Move ADSL to New Address".

thomas261989

Post by thomas261989 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:57 pm

How do I know if the transfer is successful?
Well, usually they say it should be before the end of the month but due to the holidays, does anybody have any idea when is the latest for this transfer?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:00 am

thomas261989 wrote:How do I know if the transfer is successful?
Internet stops working in the old location and starts working at the new.

For status, check your member facilities. There should be record of the cut-over date if it is still pending. Otherwise, you can email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to request an update and you will likely receive a response within the same day.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 am

If you don't want any down time you should consider HSPA, it will keep you online and makes a good back up or access whilst travelling.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

rloemker

Post by rloemker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm

I notice now there is a service in the member facilities to "Move ADSL to new location". When I select this, it brings up a table of the NF/2#NOTEL services. It also shows that there is an Early Cancellation Charge ($100) and a Relocation Charge ($90). If I move to a new address, do I have to pay the early cancellation charge and the relocation charge or just the relocation charge...$190 seems a lot to relocate?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 pm

rloemker wrote:I notice now there is a service in the member facilities to "Move ADSL to new location". When I select this, it brings up a table of the NF/2#NOTEL services. It also shows that there is an Early Cancellation Charge ($100) and a Relocation Charge ($90). If I move to a new address, do I have to pay the early cancellation charge and the relocation charge or just the relocation charge...$190 seems a lot to relocate?
These charges apply to different things:
  • The Early Cancellation Charge is payable if you cancel your service before the end of your contract.
  • The relocation charge* is payable to connect up your new service
So if you are relocating your service before your contract is up, both apply.

It is also my understanding is that *relocation* charge covers the cost of activating your phone AND internet, so long as you are currently on, and staying on, Optus infrastructure as part of the relocation. For comparison, Telstra would charge $59 for activating phone and then another $100 "temporary line fee" if you cancelled the phone line for Naked ADSL2+ within 3 month.