Dsl connection drops out when heavy traffic

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Dinocool

Dsl connection drops out when heavy traffic

Post by Dinocool » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to let you guys know that my DSL connection will drop out at random times.
Especially when playing games (its very annoying) but can also happen when i'm surfing the net.

I read somewhere that it could be because my adsl line cant support the speed or something along those lines.

Anyways, i've installed filters on all the phones (realising that this was probably the problem) however to no avail.

also if this helps, our old (but slower) AAPT service provider did not d/c like this and no new line changes have been made.

so do you think it could be the quality of the line causing it to d/c or could it possibly be something I have overlooked.

thank you in advance.

~Dinocool

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Dsl connection drops out when heavy traffic

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:49 pm

All ADSL1 services are actually provided by Telstra, over your Telstra phone line, so you can't compare an "AAPT line" with an "Exetel line". It could be a modem fault, but it would help get a useful comment if you post the line status figures from your modem - rate, attenuation and noise margin. Your modem may also log the dropouts.

When you boot a modem it conducts a series of tests with the exchange equipment to calculate the optimum speed for the condition of your line. ADSL1 is also speed capped at the exchange by Telstra, depending on the price you are paying.

All phones, alarms and Foxtel IQ phone connections should be filtered at all times, and faulty or missing filters can cause ADSL trouble. It would also be helpful to use the shortest possible cable to feed into the modem from the phone socket.

There is a help page at http://www.exetel.com.au/c_dropout.php

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Dsl connection drops out when heavy traffic

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Feel free to post the modem stats (speed, attenuation, etc) for comment but intermittent drop outs like this are probably worthy of logging a fault with Exetel so they can run basic diagnostic tests on your phone line (see sig). If you have easy access to an alternate modem just to test out temporarily it would be good to switch out your modem and test to see if drop outs continue as it may be related to a faulty / aging modem
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au