Frequent dropouts Brisbane

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
markosx

Frequent dropouts Brisbane

Post by markosx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi,

I've been with excetel at this current property for about 4 months using naked ADSL 2. I was having issues with frequent dropouts when synching in ADSL_2plus mode.
At that time the modem would rarely sync at all using ADSL_G.dmt if ever.

I spoke to the helpdesk and the guy dropped the port speed down to the bare minimum (I belive he said it was ADSL 1 speed) and it did synch pretty quickly using ADSL_G.dmt. The guy said if it drops out using this setting it will need attention from the provider (Optus).

I've now been using this very slow port speed and ADSL_G.dmt for about a month an I have seen periods of many days without dropouts and sometimes daily dropouts, although less frequent than when using ADSL_2plus (ADSL_2plus now won't work).

I would like some help from the forum guys as to what the issue may be and what we can do to get back to decent speeds and less dropouts. (btw I'm only about 2k's from the exchange).
Please don't just tell me to log a fault as emails only ever get standard responses and the phone support staff never know how to troubleshoot, they always tell me they did something and to wait half an hour and trust them that it will be fixed. of course it never is fixed.

So any help here would be appreciated.

oldman

Re: Frequent dropouts Brisbane

Post by oldman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm also in Brisbane (Strathpine exchange) and have been having frequent dropouts for the last month or so. On my Billion 7404 I changed the Connect mode from ADSL2+ to ADSL2. This has resulted in fewer dropouts but they still occur frequently enough to be annoying, particularly as I use VoIP.

I was about to get a loan of another modem to eliminate it as the cause of the problem, however, your post reinforces my belief that there is something wrong beyond my home.

richardk
Exetel Staff

Post by richardk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Hello,

Was wondering if when you pick up your handset do you get a beeping sound on the line?
Also have the support people performed a line test with devices connected and disconnected to see if there is a problem with the line itself?

A good link to look at is below regarding drop outs issues.

http://www.exetel.com.au/c_dropout.php

Thanks.

nuranj

Post by nuranj » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Well in this case its better to perform a line check on your connection if it is still dropping out. In this way we could see where there is any issues in the line or not. For this you may email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au including the service number. Please make sure you email from your contact email address.

We assume that you have done all the initial troubleshooting such as isolation test and connecting the modem directly to the wall socket using a shorter cable. Also its better to check with an alternate modem as well by borrowing from a friend or family.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:40 pm

To add to Nuranj's advice -- Drop outs are mostly local affairs - either your line to the exchange, your house wiring or your equipment. Sometimes the exchange port needs resetting (a quarter of an hour with the modem off will usually fix that). Obviously line testing can't be done at home, but there is a help page at http://www.exetel.com.au/c_dropout.php to try and pin it down.

[edit: sorry to duplicate, richardk, you snuck that in while I was typing]

oblong

Post by oblong » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:34 pm

richardk wrote: A good link to look at is below regarding drop outs issues.

http://www.exetel.com.au/c_dropout.php
That page needs updating to take account of naked ADSL services. The section called "No Dial Tone" will be misleading for a naked service.

richardk
Exetel Staff

Post by richardk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Hello,

For a naked DSL you won't have a normal dial tone.
However you should hear something similar to an engaged when you pick up the handset.

If you don't then there is a problem that needs investigating as there is a chance that there could be a fault with the line.
I'm sure at some stage the pages will be updated.

Thanks.

markosx

Post by markosx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help so far.

I'll try to provide some more detail here:
This is a Naked ADSL connection so no phone (I don't even own a handset anymore so I can't try to test).
The router isn't overheating, its just sitting on a bench of its own with heaps of air around all the vents. Its an Open Networks Iconnect 625W. The modem was working fine in Canberra with Exetel so I suspect its not the modem, also the modem still works fine i.e. the web console etc all work perfectly when its dropping out.
When it does drop out the link light goes out, then blinks as it tries to resync, then back to steady "link" and steady "internet" lights when the connection eventually comes back.
I have swapped the cable from the wall port to the modem and there is no change. I also have 2 ports for this line in the house and have tried both with no change.
I don't have access to another modem to try swapping.

I belive the helpdesk guy did some line tests as he was doing something and during that time asked me to disconnect, reconnect and turn on and off the device a few times. He didn't actually tell me the results, other than he could see my NTU when I had sync and couldn't see it when I didn't (seems obvious enough). I would hope he left notes about this in your issue / service records so if you have access to those it may be useful. The port was also reset on an earlier support call but this did not resolve the issue even in the short term.

oldman, I'm currently in Hawthorne so its a different exchange. Your issue may be related but if it's just been there the last month then maybe not, my line has had bad dropouts since I moved in, nearly 4 months ago.

I suspect the issue is with the line. When getting connected the Optus tech came to my house, then back to the exchange 3x before he was able to see a signal on the little line checker he was using. It's also an old suburb with trees in lots of the power / phone lines and thousands of possums running along them every night.

At the very least I would like to get my port set back to ADSL 2plus as going slower hasn't resolved the dropouts and I can't take the load times on youtube or even Gmail wich now prompts me to try the basic version!

I assume you'll need my service number, Not sure if its ok to post it here so let me know or I can PM it.

Cheers, Mark.

nuranj

Post by nuranj » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello,

Its better if you could PM me your service number for further investigations.

markosx

Post by markosx » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 am

Hey Guys,

I PM'd nuranj on Friday the 8th, no response. Is there anyone else willing to take a look a this? Jason has been very helpful in the past, not sure if your reading this one Jason?

nuranj

Post by nuranj » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 am

Hey Markosx

This issue is under investigation as the line test did on your connection failed to show the normal values. I will PM you with the REF number of this case and other details.

markosx

Post by markosx » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:57 am

Hey, Just emailed you.
There is absolutely nothing (not even the modem) on the line now.

nuranj

Post by nuranj » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Thank you,
I have seen the email and did all which is required. I have replied to you via your email. Still your line status is not good FYI.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 pm

I disagree with Nuran, line is testing fine - though, when you indicate nothing is on the line, we still get a cable length on the line test which is about 90m greater than it should be. This could be a plug in a socket still, or another device like an alarm sitting on the line.

I would recommend testing the modem elsewhere, or borrowing another modem, and check if the drops continue at this time, the port data shows a higher amount of modem side errors, there are 6869 unavailable seconds from the modem side.

It's possible the cabling from one socket to the other is poor, and that might cause drop outs as well (assuming the socket is a star wired configuration).
Aside from the modem side errors noted above, and the line test testing 90m higher than it should, it's all within spec.

I've increased the profile from 1.5Mbps to 24Mbps - you'll need to reconnect the modem to see how that performs.

markosx

Post by markosx » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi guys, Thanks for investigating.

I'm not sure what else would be wired into this house as its just a rental. I've never seen an alarm and there is no alarm panel.

Jason, I'm not sure what the unavailable seconds on the modem side is measuring. Can you provide more detail on what this and what it might mean?

It's now back and synced at 14274/812kbps using ADSL 2 plus and got 7.33 Mbps from http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results.php

I'll leave it as is for now and see if starts to drop out again. If it does dropout again, I can test with an old USB D-link DSL-200 (ADSL 1 modem). If I need to test with this modem, will I need to call up and have the port speed dropped or should it just work if the modem is configured properly?