Account advice ....

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
danioj

Account advice ....

Post by danioj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Hello All,

I thought I would share some recent experiences of mine in the hope that others are / do not experience the same. I have been with Exetel for a couple of years now and I can not fault the ADSL service or in the main the customer service either. I signed up to what was a great plan:

Plan Type: NONPHONE A
Monthly Access Charge: $50.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 18000
Peak Period Option: N/A
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $6.00
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte):54000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $6.00
Service Line Speed: 18000/900

I have been on a 'rolling' contract with Exetel since my first 12 month contract exprired. I was browsing the user facility a few days ago when I clicked ADSL and Change Service.

I was shocked to say the least that I now have the ability to have the following plan for the same price:

Plan: NF/22NOTEL
Cost Of Plan Change: $0
Monthly Access Charge: $50
Included Peak Downloads : 30GB
Included Off Peak Downloads : 60GB
ExcessDownloadsPerGigabyte : $0.50
Contract Period : None as I am exisiting.

Note the key things. Same access charge. Larger Peak downloads, Larger Off peak downloads, SIGNIFICANTLY lower excess download charge and does not require an additional contract and is free for me to switch too.

Now I wanted to get mad with Exetel straight away, with questions like, why didnt you switch me automatically, why didnt you notify me of this (which I am not sure if they did) coupled with the fact I usually hit the peak charge every month (which granted is ony 6 bucks) and I clearly havent been receiving as much value for my money each month that I could have been.

I realise that this will probably all get thrown back at me in words like 'we told you', 'its all there', 'read the web site', 'read the forums' etc etc but I just feel let down.

I just hope this helps / prompts others in the same position or about to be in same position to review thier situation and avoid the same feeling.

Ta, Dan (loyal customer).

sable

Re: Account advice ....

Post by sable » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Why don't you sign up to some of the emails available to you in your member facilities.

Get the right ones and you would have known!

danioj

Post by danioj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 pm

This is something I have done now.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:18 pm

danioj wrote:This is something I have done now.
the new plans are great value no doubt but it does depend on your situation if it matters or not, I'm on an older plan and never hit my limit so the extra download wouldn't matter, I do get a lot of other inclusions like VoIP calls, SMS etc that make the plan really good value for me, so someone in my situation probably wouldn't be happy if I was automatically changed to a new plan, as always what suits one user doesn't suit another, there's pretty much something for everyone though, signing up to the mailing list will at least allow you to keep up to date on what's on offer, the rule of thumb with Exetel is that they are always looking to improve their offers so you do need to keep a lookout as the plans generally do keep getting better

danioj

Post by danioj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:10 pm

jokiin wrote:
danioj wrote:This is something I have done now.
the new plans are great value no doubt but it does depend on your situation if it matters or not, I'm on an older plan and never hit my limit so the extra download wouldn't matter, I do get a lot of other inclusions like VoIP calls, SMS etc that make the plan really good value for me, so someone in my situation probably wouldn't be happy if I was automatically changed to a new plan, as always what suits one user doesn't suit another, there's pretty much something for everyone though, signing up to the mailing list will at least allow you to keep up to date on what's on offer, the rule of thumb with Exetel is that they are always looking to improve their offers so you do need to keep a lookout as the plans generally do keep getting better
Hi jokiin, you actually make a good point there. I was only considering the download advantages of the new plan "assuming" quite wrongly that i I switched over I would not loose any other features of the old plan.

I have investigated and it seems by changing the plans (outlined in my OP) I will loose the 100 free VOIP calls. But what is not clear to me is if I will loose my DID and my VOIP service (which I currently have set up as part of the old plan). There are two sources of information I have found which seem to contradict each other on this issue:

Exetel ADSL and HSPA Post Paid Plans Include One DID (http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_planA.php)

A "DID" (Direct In Dial) number is a valid PSTN dial number that is in the same format as a standard wire line number and allows calls from standard telephones to be made to your VoIP number . Currently local numbers are available for all the major capitals: Newcastle, Penrith, Wollongong, Geelong and Central Coast. There are some other towns and areas available. You can email voice@exetel.com.au with your town and we can do a service area check.

'NAKED' ADSL2 (no frills) page on Whirlpool (http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/isp-340-6 ... frills.htm)

These “Naked” ADSL2 plans use a line that does not have a “standard” (PSTN) telephone service, and does not have a telephone number – it is only able to deliver your ADSL2 service.
The Naked ADSL2 service can be used to make "normal" telephone calls using VoIP if the customer has suitable VoIP equipment. (a VoIP capable modem or some sort of ATA)

(NOTE: A VoIP service is not included with these plans. If required, Exetel can provide one at extra cost.)

Can someone please confirm for me, given the swicth of plans I have outlined in my OP, what I stand to loose?

danioj

Post by danioj » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Is there an Exetel employee with knowledge of plans that can comment on my post above?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 pm

danioj wrote:Is there an Exetel employee with knowledge of plans that can comment on my post above?
You will not lose your DID, but you will lose the free calls.

danioj

Post by danioj » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Sweet. I can live with that for the extra download.

Thanks mate.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 pm

danioj wrote:Plan Type: NONPHONE A
Monthly Access Charge: $50.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 18000
Peak Period Option: N/A
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $6.00
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte):54000
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: $6.00
Service Line Speed: 18000/900
Hi danioj

It appears you may have selected the shaping option on your old plan a while back. It appears based on other threads on this forum that the shaping option and the $6 excess rate follows you across plans unless you specifically email residential support to 'manually' cancel the shaping option. I could be wrong. However, I suggest that you ensure that the shaping option is removed (before or after you change plans) such that you will indeed be on the 0.50 per GB excess rate for the new plan if you choose to change.