Page 1 of 1

Move to ADSL2+

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:56 am
by Syalinho
Hi,

I am an exetel ADSL1 user (Plan Type:TELE) and I notices that there are

some plans which I am interested in transferring into. But I still

have some questions hope someone can help to answer.


a.ADSL1 Plans - You keep your existing Telephone (PSTN) service active

Q1: To me, does this means I don't need to change my modem?

Q2: How long can't I change to other plan or other ISP company
if I change to this plan (though I don't have any idea to change to other
ISP company)?

b.ADSL2+ PLAN PRICE - You keep your existing Telephone (PSTN) service active

Q3: My modem is Netcomm NB1. Should I buy splitter "Netcomm EM1550B" for
this change? I was advised that the other brand of splitter also work
for ADSL2+. (yes, it is cheaper)

Q4: How can I test if the ADSL2+ is faster that ADSL1? (because it says
"Speeds Achieved By Any User Will Depend On Many Factors")

Q5: Again, how long can't I change to other plan or other ISP company
if I change to this plan (though I don't have any idea to change to other
ISP company)?

Q6: I notices that the exetel sent a mail to ADSL2+ users for raising monthly fee
(5 dollars per month) from March. Does this mean I will also be charged
5 more dollars from March if I change to this plan?

Thank you and regards

Re: Move to ADSL2+

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm
by JasonM
Syalinho wrote:Q1: To me, does this means I don't need to change my modem?
You shouldn't need to change your modem, however, speeds obtained on some modems may be reduced where they operate in ADSL only mode.
The text referred to in your 'a' shows 'ADSL1'.
Syalinho wrote:Q2: How long can't I change to other plan or other ISP company
if I change to this plan (though I don't have any idea to change to other
ISP company)?
You can change plan with Exetel to any other plan of the same service type.
If you signed up to ADSL2+, a new 12 Month contract would apply.
Syalinho wrote: Q3: My modem is Netcomm NB1. Should I buy splitter "Netcomm EM1550B" for
this change? I was advised that the other brand of splitter also work
for ADSL2+. (yes, it is cheaper)
Netcomm NB1 is not ADSL2+ capable.
Syalinho wrote:Q4: How can I test if the ADSL2+ is faster that ADSL1? (because it says
"Speeds Achieved By Any User Will Depend On Many Factors")
There's no guaranteed method to predetermine this, only estimates.
One of our suppliers estimates speeds of 9Mbps for the number you posted from.
Syalinho wrote:Q5: Again, how long can't I change to other plan or other ISP company
if I change to this plan (though I don't have any idea to change to other
ISP company)?
Change plan to any of the same service type at any time.
Changing to another provider - 12 months.
Syalinho wrote:Q6: I notices that the exetel sent a mail to ADSL2+ users for raising monthly fee
(5 dollars per month) from March. Does this mean I will also be charged
5 more dollars from March if I change to this plan?
The plans on the website are priced at the quoted prices (and could change in March).

Re: Move to ADSL2+

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 pm
by Syalinho
Thank you, JasonM, for your kindly answer.
You can change plan with Exetel to any other plan of the same service type.
If you signed up to ADSL2+, a new 12 Month contract would apply.
Are you saying the same "speed" type or "ADSL" type?
Netcomm NB1 is not ADSL2+ capable.
I tried to find more information regarding whether NB1 is ok for ADSL2+, I found there are some

information said yes. see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... sa#p254992

I am confused.
One of our suppliers estimates speeds of 9Mbps for the number you posted from.
I am glad to hear this message.
The plans on the website are priced at the quoted prices (and could change in March).
Therefore, when I move to ADSL2+ in February, I will pay the quoted price.

But I might pay more in March if the price raised? I notice there is $100 Early Cancellation

Charge, that means I cannot say I want to move to the other ISP provider. (Again, I have no idea where to go)

Shouldn't it be a fixed price for a period time (such as 12 months contract time)?

Re: Move to ADSL2+

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:54 pm
by JasonM
Syalinho wrote:Are you saying the same "speed" type or "ADSL" type?
Naked ADSL2+ -> Naked ADSL2+.
ADSL2+ with phone -> ADSL2+ with phone.
Syalinho wrote:Shouldn't it be a fixed price for a period time (such as 12 months contract time)?
The price is not fixed, it can change during the contract.

Re: Move to ADSL2+

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 pm
by CoreyPlover
Syalinho wrote:
Netcomm NB1 is not ADSL2+ capable.
I tried to find more information regarding whether NB1 is ok for ADSL2+, I found there are some
http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-produ ... adband/nb1 says NB1 is ADSL2+ compatible

There are clauses in Exetel's T&C which say that price increases due to legislation are allowed and others are also allowed so long as termination fees are waived and the customer is given sufficient time (30 or 42 days depending on circumstances) to transfer their ADSL2+ service to another provider