Many many many dropout and disconnections

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Many many many dropout and disconnections

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm

If a technician disconnected your second outlet, he found a fault in the cabling within your house, and bypassed it, rather than fixed it. A licensed cabler/electrician can put this back correctly for you if you need it.

If you unplug the modem, and the splitter, if any, does a phone work in the first socket? If not, log a fault with the phone provider.

If you have a bundled service the phone provider is Exetel, otherwise it is Telstra. There is little point worrying about slow ADSL if the line won't carry a phone. Get the phone fixed first.

If the phone works in the first socket you can have both phone and ADSL if you use a suitable splitter/filter.

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean the phone wouldn't work, I meant the ADSL light wouldn't stay on.The phone is working fine. Either the ADSL light wouldn't come on or it stayed on for a minute or 2 then back to handshaking etc. The man did say I can connect the second socket later. That is no problem. What I wanted was a decent service and make do with one socket. Today, I'm unable to connect with the spliter therefore I've no phone service. The whole day I tried connecting with only the modem directly connecting to the socket but has not been successful until now. Any idea what else I should do or try?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:15 am

Summarising what you should be doing:
1. Ensure that you are connecting everything correctly so there is no possibility of your equipment causing the issues. I'm sure you've done most of this, but reiterating:
a. Try connecting under isolation; unplug all phones filters, faxes, back-to-base alarms and anything and everything that uses a phone line. Then plug modem in without filters or splitters and see if it gets a sync. Elaborating on this point, it is not clear in your posts what you are doing with your second phone and your splitter. *Any* phone plugged into *any* socket in your house must be filtered or unplugged for your ADSL to work. So ensure the "second phone" is filtered correctly. With the splitter, even if ADSL is not working, you should still be able to plug the modem and the phone into the splitter and the splitter into wall and have your phone work perfectly. If you can't do this it means you've got stuff plugged in wrong (for instance, if you have the modem and phone plugged into the splitter the wrong way it may account for the issues you describe).

b. If you have access to another modem (like a friend or family member) borrow it and see if you can connect (under isolation again) with it in place of your modem
If either of the above work, the problem is your hardware. If not:

2. Contact Exetel to do a line test. I suggest you PM a reply back to JasonM for this. These forums can't help you if you actually have a line fault. You need to communicate with Exetel and also explain what, if anything, the Telstra technician found or did.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

dsheludko

Post by dsheludko » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:21 am

If, once you've done the isolation test, you still can't connect, I re-iterate point (b): try another modem. Mine turned out to be faulty - a new one this morning has me up and running again (so far, at least!). $50 at CPL can save a lot of headaches!

mgforum

Post by mgforum » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:29 am

Check out my fix for Billion 7404VGP at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 59#p269238

I've had similar problem since that date, just managed to fixed it and regain 24Mb/s profile and fast speeds again.

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am

Summarising what you should be doing:
1. Ensure that you are connecting everything correctly so there is no possibility of your equipment causing the issues. I'm sure you've done most of this, but reiterating:
a. Try connecting under isolation; unplug all phones filters, faxes, back-to-base alarms and anything and everything that uses a phone line. Then plug modem in without filters or splitters and see if it gets a sync. Elaborating on this point, it is not clear in your posts what you are doing with your second phone and your splitter. *Any* phone plugged into *any* socket in your house must be filtered or unplugged for your ADSL to work. So ensure the "second phone" is filtered correctly. With the splitter, even if ADSL is not working, you should still be able to plug the modem and the phone into the splitter and the splitter into wall and have your phone work perfectly. If you can't do this it means you've got stuff plugged in wrong (for instance, if you have the modem and phone plugged into the splitter the wrong way it may account for the issues you describe).

b. If you have access to another modem (like a friend or family member) borrow it and see if you can connect (under isolation again) with it in place of your modem
If either of the above work, the problem is your hardware. If not:

2. Contact Exetel to do a line test. I suggest you PM a reply back to JasonM for this. These forums can't help you if you actually have a line fault. You need to communicate with Exetel and also explain what, if anything, the Telstra technician found or did.

1. Done that.
a. Done that the whole day yesterday, with only the modem in the only socket I have without splitter, therefore I've no phone service. My 2nd socket is out of service now. Tried connecting isolation the ADSL light is flickered, may come on for a minute or so if I'm lucky, sometimes goes off for a few seconds and then repeat the flickers and so on. Turned the modem off for 15 minutes and on again. Been doing that the whole night. Finally, it came good. The ADSL light stayed on for what was left of the night( did not do anything different). So the modem is in working order. When I finished I pluged in the splitter, connected the cordless phone and the modem to the splitter, the ADSL light went while I did the change but came back on and stayed on. I don't understand this. That's where I'm baffled. Will try again tomorrow to see if I have the same problem again. Had this for a few days and then it goes away for a few hours then back to bug me for another few days.

b. See last bit of a.

2. How do I PM JasonM? The technician found the line from the 1st socket to the 2nd gives the slight hum to both sockets and disconnected it so that I have a socket with no noise.

Thank you CoreyPlover. I appreciate talking to someone who knows what he's talking about.

dsheludko

Post by dsheludko » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Yeah, I spoke too soon. Mine's just died again, too. I'm up at the moment, having set my modem's modulation down to G.DMT, but it's still dropped out at least twice, even in this mode. Line attenuation looks strangely large: 40.5dB Could be a problem. Have re-opened the support ticket...

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 pm

You can PM (private message) JasonM by clicking the PM button under his name in the post higher up.

In response to your response, I can now understand the 2nd line and what the technician did. Basically, what is happening is that you are getting interrmittent sync. Plugging in the splitter and the phone will not be affecting things (unless your splitter is faulty but from your description there doesn't seem to be any reason to suspect this). You are just getting random sync, sometimes when you reset the modem, sometimes when you are in isolation sometimes when splitter and phone are connected.

These symptoms are usually caused by one of three things (in loosely descending order of probability based on my forum experience):
1. Interference, due to your house wiring or unisolated phone devices
2. Faulty hardware
3. Interference in your phone line somewhere between your house and your phone exchange

We know that you used to have noise in your internal wiring but the technician fixed that by disconnecting the 2nd line which must have been feeding noise back and we know you can't consistently get ADSL under isolation, so this rules out cause 1. But we still don't know whether it is cause 2 (faulty modem) or 3 (line fault).

To diagnose whether it is cause 2 or 3 there are two possible courses of action:
1. Borrow another modem and test it on your line. Just saying "my modem sometimes gets an ADSL connection" is not good enough to say the modem is "working" and a large proportion of the time, replacing the modem fixes problems exactly like this. But rather than waste money, you should first borrow a modem to test (if possible). If it works perfectly, you have your answer and you should go and buy a new modem. If not, you have confirmation that it is not your modem and Exetel can use this information to escalate the issue to the carrier.
2. PM Jason or lodge a fault with Exetel to bring the possible line fault to their attention (and reply to any automatically generated message asking for you to try the basics like isolation tests as you have already done these plenty of times). They will try testing the line and detecting any anomaly that is known to be a line fault.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Many thanks CoreyPlover for your detailed response. Most appreciated.

Will try to PM Jason to do a check on line fault and will also try to borrow a modem to test out. At the moment it is behaving, ADSL light is hard on this morning when I turned it on. No problem at all.

Thank you once again. Now, I've an understanding where the possible problem is. There's a direction

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm not sure what else I should do to get the attention of Exetel support stuff. Sent them 4-5 emails since 220210 and receive no response at all. It's been 5 working days. The line has been up since yesterday. There's no noise from my phone but the noise level recorded from the modem is higher than the noise level I had before the correction. The noise level is about 3 times higher than before yet the line stayed up but I noticed the line rate is way below acceptable level (dialup rate). But at least I have a connection. They'll tell me I can't everything! Following is the display from my modem on 270210 @ 1125.

Current DSL line status is displayed as the below.

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:18:28:34
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 12
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 696 Kbps 189 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 4756 Kbps 252 Kbps
Noise Margin 31.7 dB 15.0 dB
Line Attenuation 34.0 dB 27.6 dB
Output Power 0.0 dBm 12.2 dBm

PM Jason but haven't heard from yet. Corey, would you be able to wake residentialsupport.

JeremyP

Post by JeremyP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 am

As i believe, you have been in contact with support (over the weekend) and it appears the issue is being dealt with.

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Had an email from ShoneR on 28/2 that software changes was done. On the 7/3/10 emailed back with the following

"The service has been up since until today. Unable to get the ADSL light to stay on. The ADSL light was hard on for a short a while but unable to access the net during that time. Then it went off. At the moment it's slow blinking. Kindly check the status and help me connect." No reply from Support.

Today 11/03/10 emailed Residential Support the following:

"Went home after I emailed you the ADSL light came on and was able to access the net. It was good on Monday and Tuesday. The ADSL light was flashing again before 0600 on 10/03/10 again but came back on about 0830. It was flashing again this morning, noticed that before 0600. Turned the modem off for 15 mins and waited for another 15mins for the flashing light to come on but with no success. Wasted my whole morning doing that. It's good for a day or 2 then left me in the cold. Can you please monitor line to find the problem." Forgot this one. After turning it off for 15 mins it did stay on until I started to use it. After accessing the net for a few minutes the ADSL light started flashing again and would not stay on.

Every time I want to use the service it went on the blink! Very frustrating!

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Not sure what's going on. Now, the ADSL light stayed on. When I turned the modem on it did the normal flashes, slow and then fast and stayed on but I'm unable to access the internet. Able run a daignostic test. Took a copy of it but it's on my computer. Following is what I took down.

DSL Sync Pass
Test your Ethernet Connection Pass
ATM OAM F5 Segment Ping Failed
ATM OAM F5 end to end Ping Failed
ATM OAM F4 Segment Ping Failed
ATM OAM F4 end to end Ping Failed
PPP server connection Failed
Anybody has any idea where the problem is likely to be? Badly needed help. My modem is new but still looking for a known working modem to borrow. Make sense?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Ignore the F4 tests, but the F5 tests should pass and them failing is consistent with you not getting any external internet access. What are your modem's WAN IP and your default gateway (each is a set of four numbers, only need to know the first two of each).

But, as this is a line fault that you are experiencing, it is best to make all updates by emailing a reply to your ticket. These forums are unlikely to provide much help as Exetel residential support will need to diagnose and fix things at their end.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:52 pm

clee0syz wrote:Once it's connected it was good. I then tried connecting the phone then it would'nt connect. After a few goes I did the isolation test again and this time nothing works.
Do you have an ADSL filter on your phone connection?
Something like this http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-produ ... ers/em1550 ?
RAND-NBN50- ZTE H268A