Many many many dropout and disconnections

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
clee0syz

Many many many dropout and disconnections

Post by clee0syz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:57 pm

For the past week had a few dropouts but came good again. Since last Friday 12/2/10 I'd many dropouts and disconnections. The ADSL light ont modem slow flash, fast flash and then off or hard on for a short period then repeat. If it is hard on it may last for less than a minute or for a few minutes and then repeat the above. Turned the modem off for 15 minutes and on again with no result. The modem was connected to the wall directly with no filter/splitter. There are no other equipments connected to the wall socket. I've no Foxtel etc. The cable is what comes with the modem. Unable to get on the net at all. If I'm lucky I have a few minutes. I desperately need help. Any idea what is the problem?

clee0syz

Re: Many many many dropout and disconnections

Post by clee0syz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Tech Support gave me the most stability profile but it's still no good.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:04 pm

Does it coincide with a rainy spell when underground telephone line joints get a soaking? What are the noise and attenuation figures reported by your modem? And is the phone crackly when you listen to it? A stability profile is an attempt to give you a bit more headroom for line noise. Drop outs are usually local affairs.

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Thank you for the response Dazzled. How do I do the noise and attenuation figure report by the modem? The phone line is noisy. We had some rain and the ground was wet. I'm currently using a public computer.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm

You use the browser to enter the modem, in the same way you did when you first configured it. (Depending on brand, it may live at 192.168.1.1) Post the model if you don't know the address.

Once logged in, there is a status page which has the results of the line tests that were made when you last booted the modem. Look for rate, attenuation and noise margin (SNR).

A noisy crackly phone that has "static" is always a reason to log a phone fault. Curing that will probably cure the drop outs as well.

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Thank you Dazzled. Will go home and try that.

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am

Thank you Dazzled. The ADSL light has come and stayed on. As a matter of interest, what are the acceptable Noise Margin and Attenuation levels? lost my piece of paper. From memory the Noise Margin was around 14-15 dB upload and down load, the Attenuation was 38-44 dB upload and down load. Thanks again Dazzled.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Attenuation varies with distance from the exchange, typically 13-14 dB per km, so we would have to know the distance to decide if it is excessive. You have plenty of noise margin, probably because of the stability profile. If wet weather affects your phone again, report it when the trouble location is still findable.

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

What is the acceptable noise level?

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm

At a minimum, 6dB, the profile you are on aims for between 9db and 12dB.

I can't see your service connected at the moment. The last connection was 11am - do you normally leave the modem on all the time?

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:14 pm

When it's not in use I turn the modem off. Should I do that or should I leave the modem on? I'll turn it on tomorrow morning.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:31 pm

clee0syz wrote:When it's not in use I turn the modem off. Should I do that or should I leave the modem on?
Most people leave their modems on at all times but there is nothing wrong with switching them off regularly (overnight or during vacations).
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

The line is not stable. Keep dropping off. Telstra man came to fix the line. Now I've only one phone socket and nothing else is connected to it and I've no phone either. This is not right. This is my line status. Please help!!!

Current DSL line status is displayed as the below.

Line Mode RE-ADSL2 Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:00:00:04
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 10
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2930 Kbps 32 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 3220 Kbps 96 Kbps
Noise Margin 10.1 dB 11.4 dB
Line Attenuation 26.5 dB 52.0 dB
Output Power 16.4 dBm 11.1 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 30 2
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 12 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 8 16
D (interleave depth) 16 4
Super Frames 0 166
Super Frame Errors 0 0
RS Words 0 751
RS Correctable Errors 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 8225 0
Data Cells 0 0
Bit Errors 0 0
Total ES 72 39
Total SES 34 31
Total UAS 320 214

dsheludko

Post by dsheludko » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Yeah I've been having problems with drop outs lately too. Sync is maintained when the connection dies, though. Planning to do an isolation test tonight when I get home. See this thread at whirlpool for details:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... =-1#bottom

clee0syz

Post by clee0syz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 pm

The line connecting to the 2nd socket is causing the problem which affect the main socket. When the man he disconnected the 2nd socket so that the main socket can be used for ADSL access. I did an isolation test and the modem took a few goes to connect after I turned the modem off for 15 mins. Once it's connected it was good. I then tried connecting the phone then it would'nt connect. After a few goes I did the isolation test again and this time nothing works. Does that mean that I can't have the phone when I'm connected? It's more than a week coming to 2 weeks now since I have any decent service. why is it it was good for a few days and now I've so much problem connecting? Now I have no 2nd socket, no ADSL connection and out of pocket. I've lost out on every aspect. Any kind soul out there able to help resolve the problem?