Whats happening with my clients order ?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Viss

Whats happening with my clients order ?

Post by Viss » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Ok my client got this email today im a bit stumped as to what it means ? The connection is a rural connection and I know for a fact that the neighbors on the next block of land have ADSL and as far as I can ascertain this letter is telling me the line is incompatible ? How can that be so if the neighbors have it connected ? I realize that all the ports at the exchange are full but my concern is the line issue can someone please explain.

The issue im referring to is INCOMPATIBLE PAIR GAIN SYSTEM

* ADSL Application Status (New Service)

Please enter your ten digit telephone number (including the area code: 0298765432) without any spaces in the 'box' below

Line Status for Telephone Number: 074128xxxx

Your DSL service has been ordered

WHAT WILL HAPPEN - NORMALLY
Exetel Submit Your Application To Supplier On This Date 2010-02-17
Supplier Confirms Receipt Of Your Application On This Date 2010-02-18
Estimated Date For Line Activation *
ADSL Activation Completed On This Date
* This is a guide only, services may be completed earlier or later. Please monitor for Activation Completed.

You didn't order a modem

WHAT WILL HAPPEN - IF YOU ARE PLACED ON HOLD
Your Application On Hold 2011-11-11
The Reason Your Application On Hold SERVICE IS ON AN INCOMPATIBLE PAIR GAIN SYSTEM. ALTERNATE PATH CHECK REQUIRED
Estimated Date Of Releasing Your Application From Hold (11/11/2011 means TBA)

EXPLANATION OF HOLD

* No CMUX Ports - this means the Telstra exchange to which your line is connected has temporarily run out of ADSL ports. The date that additional ports will be added is given on this Telstra web site: http://www.telstrawholesale.com/product ... slre03.xls Your application will be released from hold by Telstra once the new ports have been installed and, as a guide, you can expect to be connected to ADSL 7 days after the ports are installed.
* Alternate Path Check Underway - ths means that your current telephone line isn't suitable for ADSL and Telstra are now checking to see whether they can replace your line with a full copper line that can be used for ADSL. This is a long process that is currently averaging over 8 weeks to complete.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Whats happening with my clients order ?

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Telstra arranges phone services to share a line in rural and outer suburban areas - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_gain
It prevents an ADSL signal being superimposed on the line. To get round this may mean rearranging other people's phone lines, if that is possible. It often is in the country.

Some of my family got in first and were taken off pair gain. Their neighbours on both sides miss out.

Viss

Post by Viss » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:43 pm

So im guessing its going to be near impossible to get them connected as I cant see Helstra actually giving a hoot about the situation.... :roll:

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:01 pm

My bloke's line was altered by Telstra.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:35 am

Viss wrote:So im guessing its going to be near impossible to get them connected as I cant see Helstra actually giving a hoot about the situation.... :roll:
There is a good chance it will happen, it can just take a while.

Viss

Post by Viss » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Ok so we are on the waiting list so we just wait now or is there something else that needs to be done ?

Viss

LindaB

Post by LindaB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Pair Gain is the problem and Telstra is not supposed to be doing these days so it may be an old line. Pair Gain is where you share a line with a neighbour, can be up to 4 the way Telstra used to do it, you will not get adsl on it until the line is replaced from the street to the house in question. Being in a rural area they are being disadvantaged and its costing more than a city line, so use that when demanding the line be corrected.
Make the complaint an official one because otherwise the service people will just tell you sorry can't be done. If that doesn't work a bit of publicity won't hurt via the newspapers or current affair shows on TV.
It may cost to have the line replaced by copper or it may be a simple change of card at the exchange, but hit them hard with the disadvantaged by being in a rural area.
I had the same problem in Sydney yrs ago and demanded it be fixed due to pair gain. They changed a card at the exchange, presto I had an adsl line.
Same issue in Nowra 7 yrs ago with Pair Gain, so I hit them up for a new line at their cost. Still didn't get adsl due to no available slots at our exchange but when 1 became available I was on the waiting list and obtained adsl then.

Viss

Post by Viss » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Well Im not sure what happened but we got an email on Wed and an automated message stating the adsl had been enabled and I turned on the modem and viola line sync.... Im not sure what was done but its all up and running at full speed :) Thanks for all your reply's.