speed test

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
trev12

speed test

Post by trev12 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:42 am

this isnt a complaint but im wondering about the speed test with exetel site . wouldntr it be better to also have a international one as well as most download fromn international site i notice trhat when i try one my download speed is half what the exetel one is

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: speed test

Post by Dazzled » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:14 am

The normal aim is to test your particular connection, so the server needs to be as close to you on the network as possible. You also need to be sure that the server is faster than your connection, or you will be testing it instead.

The Exetel test is nothing more than a timed download of a file of known size, written in javascript, so you could do the same yourself for any server anywhere in the world. It is a trivial task in any modern scripting or programming language. Most browsers, downloaders and newsreaders report instantaneous speed from the server, and all the downloaders will show average speed (usually kB/s) for the download, so you could test your international speeds that way. The trouble with long distance tests is that the route can be quite circuitous.

Klaas

Re: speed test

Post by Klaas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:58 pm

I use the Exetel speed test to determine if there is a problem with my connection (home-exchange-Exetel routers), as that's the only place there is really any control over the speed (via Telstra for the physical line from me to the exchange, and the backhaul to Exetel).

Anything the "the other side of Exetel", ie, the internet, has so many qualifications as to the speeds obtainable (server set up, international links, etc), that all you are doing with international tests is testing the remote sites speed, as per Dazzled's comment.

I also tend to the ignore the actual reported speed as an absolute measure, and just look for consistency over a number of tests - if I get the same reported speed as I usually get, then there's likely nothing wrong with the connection.