SIMPLE PORT RESET PLEASE

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Moleman

Re: SIMPLE PORT RESET PLEASE

Post by Moleman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:29 pm

This is your own speedtest that should be the quickest available to me.

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1

1.49Mb/s. Something is seriously wrong with your network.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:14 am

Moleman, it is usually quite easy to download at the full capacity permitted by your modem, the exchange and backhaul combination. Use downloading software, not a browser, and connect to a very fast large server close to you on the network, eg an Akamai server (microsoft.com), which can outpace the line, or you will be testing the server instead. This software is usually able to support multiple connections for large files as well. See what you get with 1,2,3,4 ... connections. Occasional modems cap individual connections. I prefer wget (1 connection) and axel (multiple) on my system. If you have Windows, try out Getright.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 pm

When you say "speedtest shows me able to receive 10Mb/s, you mean http://speedtest.net? As Dazzled says, what about concurrent connections (try Apple and microsoft simultaneously, or the much better Free Download Manager in place of Getright). Does this up the speed to over 100KB/s and over 1.5Mbps collectively?

So it is just the IP routing that is the issue now? Exetel does not filter any web ports. At the risk of covering the basics, you are sure there are no firewalls (software like Windows, or third party) preventing access and that you have opened ports correctly? Try Shields Up to test whether your ports are open or not. Which port / service are you aiming to open. If it is port 80 you should be aware that some routers 'hijack' port 80 for External Web Management of the router.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm

lieve me I checked everthing before I said anything on here, for hours and hours and hours.

The IP routing type problem didn't start until Wednesday night.

Wednesday night I reset the modem to factory defaults. After the reset the modem failed route my IP block correctly back to my machines from connections initiated outside of my network. Web browsing was working from the hosts on my public block so the modem was allowing established/related traffic to return but not connections initiated from the internet.

I establsihed this by turning NAT back on in my modem and setting the internal Ip address of the modem back to a private address. I then changed the network address of the client machine on my network. I then did a traceroute to one of my public IP addresses. The packet went to my modem masquerading as starting from my modems public address (which is a totally different address to my public block). The packet went to the first router on Exetels or Optuses (whichever owns the equipment) network and was returned to my modems public IP address. The packet could go no further as NAT was turned on in the modem and as such it returned no answer trying to reach the IP address I tested. This proved to me that as soon as that ICMP request went to the first public router on the internet, that request was returned to the correct gateway (my ADSL router at my premises). Therefore my modem was malfunctioning. I tried more power cycling, checking configuration, resetting to factory again and reconfiguring (3 or 4 times, maybe more), reinstalling firmware. At this point it was allowing pings from www.websitepulse.com but any other services were unavailable.

I tried an old ADSL modem I had here and it allowed my IP block to be again public and public requests were working. The throughput was still the same, very slow. Sub 1.5Mb/s.

On Wednesday it started getting better but I knew I needed a new ADSL2+ modem. I purchased that modem, installed and configured it. My webservers and mail servers were still working but the internet speed was still between 1.5 and 3Mb/s (from www.speedtest.net). Exetel speed test has always been slow for me at the best of times. It never goes over 4Mb/s. During this time it did exactly as it normally does. Sub 1.5 and deteriorating to sub 1.0 Mb/s. I tried downloading from close networks.`The more speedtests I did the worse it got. Even this morning it was .33 Mb/s. My upload was quicker at 0.67Mb/s. Everything still syncing at the correct speed, it was actually syncing a little faster with the new modem, sync was now around 12800 instead of 11900 and sometimes 12000 (approx of course). I tried again multiple simultaneous downloads with the same results. The peak download I was getting was around 170KB/s. Also downloading from Exetel mirrors, Exetel speed test, and
Pipe was the same. Muliple downloads 170KB/s, single downloads by themselves, nothing over 70KB/s. Late last night it seemed to come good when I was saying Speedtest.net is giving me 10Mbs but downloads from Exetel, Pipe, etc.etc. were still the same. Leading me to believe that there was some sort of major congestion somewhere.

As of this point in time I am getting up to 10Mb/s from www.speedtest.net but still poor speeds from internet downloads of all the tested types. Multiple downloads, close networks, not using a browser, trying several different Linux servers here and several different Windows clients. Checking my managed swithces (3com Superstack III Layer 3 switches) for port errors, configuration, full duplex.

I have a Cisco router here. It is SOHO series and is an ethernet-ethernet router that routes between both 3com superstack iii swithes. The inside (private network) port of the cisco router is 100Mb/s. The outside is 10Mb/s. I put a huge file on my webserver and tried downloading it. I had a solid 11Mb/s the whole way through, no problem whatsoever. I tried several PC's on either side of the Cisco router, placing them in a public network and back on to the private network.

Only this afternoon am I now getting 4Mb/s from Exetel speedtest and 400KBs from downloads.

Dazzled I have never been able to download at the full capacity of my modem while being with Exetel. While I was with TPG with 8000 connection, it was a rare occasion that downloads were slow from places like Microsoft, www.speedtest.net, and reputable sites. While being with Exetel the maximum I have ever gotten on a download (or even simultaneous downloads) was around 600-700 KB/s. 700KB/s x 8 = 5600kb/s or 5.6Mbps. With syncing at 12Mbps and maximum download of 5.6Mbps (ever) I have no other assumption but that the infrastructure being used is insufficient somewhere along the line or misconfigured.

I have accepted this and can live with it for now but when that is halved again, I am not happy. Especially if this keeps up.

My first thought was that someone signed up for a SLA type connection with you guys and the rest of us have been limited to enable you to say that you have a 99.9% uptime and bandwidth availability for your more important customers. I have never experienced a true ADSL2+ connection as you are my first ADSL2+ isp. Even when I set my modem to ADSL1, it syncs at the correct 8000 but the speed tests from exetel are attrocious and also downloading. Again around half of the connection speed. As I stated before TPG was rare to be slow with Speedtest.net (the needle pegged at 8Mbps). I got ADSL2+ wih no improvement over my previous service. Again, was ok to accept but now that my average best speed is 400KBs and mostly worse.

Now you tell me, is it easy to achieve the maximum throughput of the modem (syncing at 12000). People around me that I know with ADSL2 get a solid 1MB/s download, again subject to the site in question. Not I. Not ever.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:59 pm

This is me syncing my IMAP mail to my own mail server on the other side of the Cisco router I mentioned. The drops are small sized mail transfer while the pegged is syncing videos sent to me by mail, voicemail and ppt's etc.

This is a typical multiple download now and since Sunday.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:28 pm

OK. Most of that is behind my usual aptitude for networking, but if I've digested the crux of it:

*Originally you were expereincing slow speeds and routing issues to your public IP block.
* On Wednesday you tried an old ADSL modem and it allowed the IP block to be again public and public requests were working. The throughput was still the same, very slow. Sub 1.5Mb/s.
* So after the above and other diagnostics that confirmed your original modem was faulty you then purchased a new ADSL2+ modem. Webservers and mail servers are now working but the internet speeds are still between 1.5 and 3Mb/s max
* As of this point in time you are getting up to 10Mb/s from http://www.speedtest.net but still poor speeds from internet downloads of all the tested types

I'm a little confused at the seemingly contradictory "This afternoon am I now getting 4Mb/s from Exetel speedtest and 400KBs from downloads" vs the screen shots of 60-80KB/s limited streams. But just to appease your comment about how "the rest of us have been limited to enable you to say that you have a 99.9% uptime and bandwidth availability for your more important customers", I am getting 500-550KB/s for a single download and 1.1MB/s when I use a download manager for files from microsoft.com.

What I suggest you do is confirm the current state of your issue (is routing still affect or has this been fully resolved? I assume "resolved". Are speed still low? I assume "yes" and that your most recent screen shot shows your typical throughput experience?) and I will raise the thread with someone.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 pm

You have obviously made quite some effort. I did mention "capacity permitted by your modem, the exchange and backhaul combination". Have you tried mtr?
Last edited by Dazzled on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Dazzled wrote:You have obviously made quite some effort. I did mention "capacity permitted by your modem, the exchange and backhaul combination".
Very hard to see that limiting throughput to 60KB/s per stream though...

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:52 pm

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/results. ... recorded=1. This speed test was done right now.

Sorry for not clarifying but the speed goes between (I think the max of the 3 downloads together in the screenshot was about 250KB/s) to 400KB/s achieved this afternoon for the first time since last week. Previous to that it was 600-700 KB/s for most downloads.

The http://www.speedtest.net test shows that there is a route to http://www.speedtest.net that isn't anywhere near as congested as the rest of the network.

Current status is IP routing was working the whole time and the modem, after a couple of resets had failed that caused that problem but not till I posted here on Tuesday (I think). Slow speed was previous to that and the slow speed now remains after buying a new ADSL2+ modem.

Sorry for the long winded story but I wanted to convey the fact that I have tried everything humanly possible here to rectify the issue, if there was an issue at my end. I have even retested and retuned my MaxMTU on my machine and through my Cisco router.

I have tried download managers.

Dazzled I thought you meant that with the capacity and backhaul (meaning that it is good). I believe the capacity and backhaul somewhere along the line, if not at maybe several places along the line to be insufficient. And yes, it has consumed my every spare minute (after working a normal day). Before work and after work causing me to have lost a fair bit of sleep over the last couple of days. I am now satisfied I have done everything I can.

I believe there to be an issue or issues elsewhere in the network. I don't know how many customers you have in Central/North Queensland but maybe something is awry that is common to only a few customers.

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=35415

There are several queensland users here with the same complaint also.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 pm

I just get upset after doing all the standard checks myself and checking config before even contacting support or this forum. Then I got the standard response, several downloads, etc. etc. sync speed (even though I put it in the original help ticket). It was just a standard response and my original request hadn't even been read properly.

Then I did the tests (45 minutes, 3 speed tests with 15 minutes between). Then got a standard response that said basically, the helpdesk member had made a change and to monitor it for 24 hours then do more speed tests (45 minutes, 3 speed tests with 15 minutes between). Ok I did it again and sent the results back. This time the response said that the helpdesk member had reset my port and again to do more speed tests (45 minutes, 3 speed tests with 15 minutes between) which I did to get the same generic answer yet again.

I got this response again today
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Could you please send us results of three speed tests which can be obtained from http://www.exetel.com.au/speed in order for us to investigate further?

(please arrange at least 3 test results, each 15 minutes apart)

Regards,

Anushka
Support Engineer
Exetel Pty Ltd
Does anyone understand the frustration, its like banging your head against a brick wall. This received today after days of this interaction back and forth. Now I could guarantee that if I was to respond then someone would probably be called out to check my line. Not where the problem lies, I think anyway. I guarantee that if I detailed everything I'd already done in a support ticket that it also wouldn't get read and it would be escalated in the wrong direction.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Moleman, get a copy of mtr (Linux, up-to-date and preferable, in most repos) or its rather long-in-the-tooth and less flexible Windows port, http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/ and aim it at some of your slow sites for a few minutes at a time. It's a kind of dynamic traceroute. Dropped packets, jitter, and slow router responses are usually revealed quickly. Don't run other internet activity at the time, as it is a bandwidth hog. No promises, but it might show up a bottleneck beyond your modem.

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Heres a few results

Thanks for putting me on to MTR Dazzled, I have never used it before and its been installed the whole time - lol.

Does that shed any light?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Only that there are a couple of Exetel routers that take quite a while on occasion, but they aren't dropping packets. Some of the distant sites you download from might. Did you notice any sudden increase in times, or was it random? Was there a sufficient number of cycles? There is a blog about it here http://technopotomus.com/2009/07/mtr/

Change to each display mode by pressing D as it runs to spot any pattern developing. Additional fields are available also (O). It helps to show the Sent column. See (H).