Slow Speeds at night

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
mouseman

Slow Speeds at night

Post by mouseman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi all,

Hope someone can help. In the last few months, I have been getting extremely slow speeds at night to the point where I cant even watch a Youtube clip.

I contacted Exetel about this and I got the reply along the lines of 'we dont guarantee our speeds as shown in the contract that you signed'. End of. Nice eh? But surely I should be able to use the net for basic functions. It is 2010 after all. My contract is actually up this month and thnking of trying elsewhere. Would a different company have the same speed problems?

I live in Coburg, VIC. I have attached my sync speeds.

Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 951 kbps
Downstream 17918 kbps
Noise Margin (Upstream) 6.5 db
Noise Margin (Downstream) 5.5 db
Attenuation (Upstream) 12.6 db
Attenuation (Downstream) 20.0 db

Using a Billion 7300g (through Ethernet connection and not wirless)

I there anything else I can do in order to try and fix this problem? Let me know f you need any more ino

All help greatly appreciated

adrianadrian

Re: Slow Speeds at night

Post by adrianadrian » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Im in Preston, close by, and im having the same problems and received similar reply from helpdesk..

Heres a graph for the last two nights:

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 pm

My internet speed has been attrocious since Sunday and the whole time, not the best. My old ADSL1 8000/384 was all round quicker. I am going elsewhere regardless of the contract.

I used to be with TPG for several years and they were great (thats where I had the 8000/384). Not one speed issue. Problem is they don't offer Naked ADSL2+ unless you are on a TPG enabled exchange otherwise I would never have left.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:20 pm

mouseman and adrianadrian, can you post ticket numbers of your respective cases. While technically any speeds of over 1.5Mbps are acceptable by industry standards I would have hoped that Exetel support would be more accomodating, especially given your (mouseman's) solid sync stats.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Are either of you guys on a PowerTel DSLAM (BYO Plan)? I'm just curious if this is related to a speed issue I have been having during "busy" periods.
Moved onto greener pastures

adrianadrian

Post by adrianadrian » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Murphy09: Yeah, on a byo plan so presuming thats it?

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Yep I'm starting to think many/all PowerTel users are affected by congestion in the late evenings, just after midnight, and just before midday (i.e. the busy times).

More discussion about it here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1394812

There is a clear and unmistakable increase in packet loss during this troublesome times.

dunnowhathuh

Post by dunnowhathuh » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:10 am

Yeh, I'm on one of the BYO plans too. Gets pretty bad at night (like now). A lot of the time, sites don't load at all. Have to hit the refresh button fairly often nowadays to get any sites to load during the dead of night.

bandario

Post by bandario » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:13 am

Getting 220KB/s from a usual 1600 connection. 10am in Brisbane.

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 am

dunnowhathuh wrote:Yeh, I'm on one of the BYO plans too. Gets pretty bad at night (like now). A lot of the time, sites don't load at all. Have to hit the refresh button fairly often nowadays to get any sites to load during the dead of night.
Exactly the same here. The 'Refresh' button is getting a major workout ever since switching over from Optus cable.
bandario wrote:Getting 220KB/s from a usual 1600 connection. 10am in Brisbane.
PowerTel (BYO) connection as well? Join the club. :roll:

Edit: Please Exetel acknowledge this issue and put some sort of action/plan together to resolve it! I am going to try and put the packet loss into a chart so we can see how it comes in and out throughout the day. This will be useful in getting others to acknowledge if they are having the same issue.

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:39 am

I've recorded some packet loss stats. Here is my conclusion over the last 24 hours.

a) Everything was running fine yesterday (Saturday) afternoon from 1pm.
b) Packet loss returned immediately after midnight (peaked at 12% packet loss at 12.40am) and continued for about 3.5 hours.
c) Things cleared up at about 3.30am and there was no packet loss at all until 9am on Sunday.
d) It is 10.30am now, for the past 1.5 hours I have been getting 6% packet loss which causes noticeable interruptions on web pages.

Again this all seems to correlate with the "busier" periods as shown in the MRTG graphs. I don't mind if my total throughput drops but I can't stand packet loss as that makes web surfing, VOIP calls, etc, unusable.

As discussed in the Whirlpool forums, this is affecting many PowerTel DSLAM users.

adrianadrian

Post by adrianadrian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:55 am

I'm experiencing the same thing:

No packet loss till midnight, good in the morning the started around 9am again as can be seen on this graph:

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Looks like exactly the same problem. Have you also raised a ticket at https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/ ?

Send them some pings to http://www.exetel.com.au showing the packet loss.

I expect that Exetel will have no problems reproducing this problem at all, since it is so widespread and so predictable. They must surely be aware of this problem. Only question is a) when will they acknowledge it, and b) when/how will they fix it?

adrianadrian

Post by adrianadrian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Yes have raised a ticket, waiting on reply.

mouseman

Post by mouseman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I havent been on here in a while. I assumed the thread would die a slow death. Thanks for replying

Here was my picket number 2315881.

I'm on PTL B (I guess I should be changing this)