New plans - I'm confused

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
frugalest

New plans - I'm confused

Post by frugalest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 am

I've been comparing the new plans and I'm a little confused.

Check out this quick summary of four plans:

1. FP-B1 = 512kbps 12Gb + No charge for $40/m
2. Z/512 = 512kbps 12Gb + 24Gb for $40/m

3. FP-C1 = 1500kbps 12Gb + No charge for $50/m
4. Z/1500 = 1500kbps 24Gb + 36Gb for $50/m

Why not discard the Z plans and just offer B1 and C1? Am I missing something? I don't understand why anyone would choose #2 or #4, when B1 & C1 are unlimited downloads. Surely it's better to choose the "No Charge" plans #1 and #3, just in case you go over your Off Peak download limit.

Am I missing the point here!?

sable

Re: New plans - I'm confused

Post by sable » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:14 am

I would agree with you in the case of the 512 plans but with the 1500 Z plan peak download is 24GB which may be attractive to some, especially those who spend time on youtube, facebook et al and need high peak downloads

jubba

Post by jubba » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 am

frugalest wrote:Am I missing the point here!?
From the adsl1 plans section
**NO CHARGE DOES NOT MEAN UNLIMITED. Please check 9.1.d here: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for the replies...

jubba said:
"Please check 9.1.d here: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php"

Yep, I went there. It says off peak won't fall below 60Gb on "no charge" plans. I'm at a loss why anyone would go with the Z/512 plan and be limited to 24Gb off peak. Whereas they can probably safely get double that on the FP-B1 plan, before they're an "above average" user and/or exceed the Acceptable Use Policy.

So I guess what I'm asking is, are there other inclusions that I've missed? That one plan has over another??

sable

Post by sable » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:27 am

I woulf suggest the 512 Z plan with 12Gb peak is a typo and should have peak of 24Gb.

jubba

Post by jubba » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:57 pm

yeah that is weird.

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does seem like a typing error doesn't it.

The Z/1500 has double the peak quota of the FP-C1 plan.
But the two 512 plans have the same peak quota. And the Z/512 has 24Gb in the off peak, as if they copy/pasted but got distracted and forgot to complete the editing.

I've just emailed them. So if no-one from Exetel replies in here, hopefully they will via email and I'll post the answer.

sable

Post by sable » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:41 pm

jubba wrote:
frugalest wrote:Am I missing the point here!?
From the adsl1 plans section
**NO CHARGE DOES NOT MEAN UNLIMITED. Please check 9.1.d here: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php

You need to check the latest version of the plans and pricing page on the website.

Off peak for many plans is now true unlimited.

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Just got an email reply. Someone from overseas by the sounds of it. I don't think they read my question and just rattled off what it already says on the plan page. I don't see how it can be correct though!?

Is there anyone from Exetel (in Australia) reading that could confirm if the two 512 plans are tabled correctly or not?

I'd hate to upgrade, only to discover there really was a typo and I've chosen the wrong plan.

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Well it seems it was a typo after all because the 512 plans were this:

FP-B1: 12Gb/No Charge, $40
Z/512: 12Gb/24Gb, $40

They are now displaying as this:

FP-B1: 24Gb/No Charge, $40
Z/512: 12Gb/24Gb, $40

It would have been nice if the help desk guy had actually read my email, instead of just cut & pasting text, seeing I did half his job for him by indicating there seemed to be a simple typing error.

Thanks everyone...

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:49 am

Actually, looking at these again just now, I still don't think they have it right:

FP-B1 $40 512/128 24Gb/No Charge
Z/512 $40 512/128 12Gb/24Gb

These two plans are the same speed, the same price, but one has half the peak downloads AND only 24Gb off peak, whereas the other has double the peak quota and an "unlimited" off peak too.

So doesn't the FP-B1 plan make the Z/512 plan redundant!?

Man, I think I better wait at least another week until someone sitting at that keyboard makes up their mind. :shock:

frugalest

Post by frugalest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Update:

The second email I sent yesterday basically said, yes, I understood the plan info he just cut & pasted. But if he looked closely at the first two (512 plans) there seemed to be a typing error there. Because it just didn't make sense having two plans at the same speed and price, but different download quotas.

Then as we know - after sending that second email, late yesterday someone else corrected a typo - effectively doubling the quota on one plan. However it wasn't the correction I was expecting and only added to the confusion.

Today he reads my second email and I receive his second reply. (Keep in mind the plan details were changed in between his two replies.) Today he says:

The plan prices are the same (which is $40), and the only difference is with the download quota.

Er, yes I know - that was my point. First, yesterday you said there was no error. And today he hasn't noticed:

1. That yes, there was an error yesterday and it has now been corrected. He didn't even notice his second answer contradicted his first!

2. That there's probably still another typo. Because after comparing the two plans, EVERYONE would naturally pass on one of them. Whereas all other compareable plans have some benefit - one way or the other - for different people. But these two - everyone would choose the one with more downloads.

Wish they'd take notice and fix this, so I can make my decision - and wonder how many other people are putting it off for the very same reason.

jubba

Post by jubba » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:34 pm

this is just getting stranger/more confusing. I'm suprised staff haven't posted anything on this thread yet.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:24 pm

jubba wrote: I'm suprised staff haven't posted anything on this thread yet.
staff don't monitor the forums as such

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:31 pm

frugalest wrote:I'd hate to upgrade, only to discover there really was a typo and I've chosen the wrong plan.
I don't think this will happen. Exetel have, in the past, honoured whatever fees / quotas / etc were applicable at the time of a customer's application. Even if there is a typo / miscalculation then it should not affect you. You are correct in that the astute user should never select the Z/512 plan, but this should not delay you from making your decision (because even if they do correct it for a net improvement, you can always switch between ADSL1 plans in future months without lengthening of contract).

The same thing happened on some old "PAYU" plans, though it was a lot less obvious. In that case, it turned out that the excess usages fees meant that there were, again, 1-2 plans within each family of plans that were redundant.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au