Skype/gmail chat with video Issues

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
slai02

Skype/gmail chat with video Issues

Post by slai02 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Hey I didnt know where to put this, so Im having problems with using Skype/gmail chat.
I've been using these two programs to call my girlfriend in china, but everytime I call I always have an issue with video. The problem is that on my end I receive video and audio fine, But on her end she the video feed is horrible and the audio is just audible. She doesnt have this problem with anyone else she calls. I was wondering if this was a connection issue? or is it something else?

Adrianau

Re: Skype/gmail chat with video Issues

Post by Adrianau » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:21 am

It might be a connection Issue, but you might also want to check that your both using the same version of Skype.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 am

slai02 wrote: She doesnt have this problem with anyone else she calls. I was wondering if this was a connection issue? or is it something else?
is she calling anyone else in Australia, the link between Australia and China is ok but not great and can vary from time to time

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Might be related to your upload sync. Check your modem sync stats, or do a speedtest.net test to determine your upstream speed. Should be 700kbps or higher.

Are you uploading anything else at the same time? Because this will very quickly use up your connection's bandwidth.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

soaper

Post by soaper » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 pm

i do a bit of skyping into china and it is usually good quality both ends
there one exception was recently when i obviously had a very slow connection for some reason in the evening and skype was hopeless .
it was me as my sister than called someone else in both australia and UK and the connection was ok

but after 16 months of it i can say i have had no real issues bar that one time