Can't Reconnect After Maintenance This Moring

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
hagen

Re: Can't Reconnect After Maintenance This Moring

Post by hagen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am

It has to be said that this is extremely annoying. I hope we at least get some kind of explanation at the end of this (as in why etc.).

crazyhawk

Post by crazyhawk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 am

they should offer free dial-up as a backup.

Tim K

Post by Tim K » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 am

crazyhawk wrote:they should offer free dial-up as a backup.
The reason we don't offer this is because we don't offer dialup as a service - and therefore don't have the infrastructure to be able to do this.

On a more positive note, out of the connections I have received IM's for, most have come back online. From the few that haven't, I suspect either people have switched their modems off, or the modems need to be reset and reconfigured. In all the ones I've seen, I've now seen either a connection or recent connection attempts (meaning we can now see your modem trying to connect).

For those that are still having problems, can you please try resetting your modem and reconfigure them with your username and password.

chronographer

Post by chronographer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:03 am

Tim. It is not the modem. It is your end. We can access some sites, and some don't load. It is also not a DNS problem. See here:
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=293&t=35701
Last edited by chronographer on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

drewey10

Post by drewey10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 am

We are still down in the outer east of Melbourne, Kilsyth. 8.30 31st of march.

Does anyone know how long this will last?.

Tim K

Post by Tim K » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 am

chronographer wrote:Tim. It is not the modem. It is your end. We can access some sites, and some don't load. It is also not a DNS problem. See here: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=293&t=35701.
And as requested, I want to get traceroutes to the affected sites. Why? That can give us good information about what routers are doing what, and whether there's any consistency in the point of failure, which can be used to find out information as to where to look next.

kes1984

Post by kes1984 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 am

I am in Epping VIC and was out from around 1.30am to at least 9.30pm when I last tried to connect and gave up. I turned my modem off overnight, then put it on at 6am this morning and found I was back online....FINALLY!!

Found the whole thing incredibly annoying. I made no less than 5 calls to the service centre, all of which only suggested that I do things I had already tried (reset the modem, turn off the modem for a period of time etc). None told me it was a major problem with many affected. Had I known this, I'd not have tried so desperately to get connected. You see, I am a new user, only started my service Monday night so you can imagine, I was thinking it may have just been me being new. I wasted so much time and effort trying to get myself back online. My confidence in this ISP is shot and I have been with them not even 36 hours yet! Hope this is a rare incident. Does this kind of thing happen often with them?

Tim K

Post by Tim K » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 am

kes1984 wrote:I am in Epping VIC and was out from around 1.30am to at least 9.30pm when I last tried to connect and gave up. I turned my modem off overnight, then put it on at 6am this morning and found I was back online....FINALLY!!
Judging by the other thread that's open, others are also reporting issue resovled. Can others here please confirm?

forummaster

Post by forummaster » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 am

just bad timing mate, its the first time in over 2 years that this has happened. I can still only access selected sites even after a full modem factory reset and 30 minute modem turned off and on. Now its time for the traceroute.
Tim can you make it easy for beginners as not everyone knows how to do a traceroute. Most people will never get online again after a factory reset. Can you guys write up a quick and simple explenation of how to do these things :)

Getron

Post by Getron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Finally online this morning after about 32 hours, and many modem restarts later. :lol:

yanny

Post by yanny » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm

deleted to prevent confusion
Last edited by yanny on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim K

Post by Tim K » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 pm

yanny wrote:i am still without internet at the glen iris exchange. my modem's adsl and ppp lights are both off. what could this mean?
It means you're definitely not being affected by this outage - the modem is not even seeing the exchange, so it's not getting far enough for this outage to be a problem for you.

Probably best to start with an isolation test (ie. run the modem on the line by itself with no other devices connected) and, to avoid confusion, it's best to start a new thread once you've done that rather than replying in this one.

yanny

Post by yanny » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Tim K wrote:
yanny wrote:i am still without internet at the glen iris exchange. my modem's adsl and ppp lights are both off. what could this mean?
It means you're definitely not being affected by this outage - the modem is not even seeing the exchange, so it's not getting far enough for this outage to be a problem for you.

Probably best to start with an isolation test (ie. run the modem on the line by itself with no other devices connected) and, to avoid confusion, it's best to start a new thread once you've done that rather than replying in this one.
yes i forgot to plug in my phone line :oops:

Sp4nKy

Post by Sp4nKy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Big thanks to tim k and extel staff problem is fixed on my connection, unfortunatly these things do happen when upgrades are going ahead and after i sent my service number to tim everything seemed to be under control. Once again thank you to tim and the rest of the exetel staff...

dmcd

Post by dmcd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 pm

This is just to second Sp4nKy's thank you to Tim K and the Exetel staff for troubleshooting things. My connection's been restored now. Much appreciated.