connection after maintenance

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
msp

connection after maintenance

Post by msp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:26 am

My computer returned after being away for a service. It has Windows XP re installed on it. However, the problem is how to reconnect to our wireless network. At present, we have the ethernet cable plugged in but both the Ethernet and USB lights on the netcomm modem are not on. I can use the internet using LAN. However, when I go to Network connections via Control Panel, there is no "view available network connections" icon. So, I can't connect to my own connection. When I visit netcomm setup, I have noticed that all our previous details are still there; that is, the SSID name, passphrase, security etc.. But no icon ,either on task bar or within internet connections or anywhere, saying 'view available network connections" for me to choose from. There is only the LAN connection which I have been using. How do I get back to Exetel ADSL+2 wireless connection please? thanks from MSP

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: connection after maintenance

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:15 am

The Netcomm shouldn't have changed, but how are you using the LAN? The modem LAN lights should be lit to show an electrical connection if the computer ethernet hardware is working. There is often a small tell-tale LED on the computer ethernet port as well.

If Windows has been reinstalled, you will have to reconfigure the wireless connection in the Control Panel.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:18 am

That's a computer issue - I'd check Device Manager to see if you have your wireless adapter drivers installed, and if so, then ensure you have the latest service pack for windows.

msp

Post by msp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:38 am

Yes, we have the latest service pack installed. The internet is going well. But I'm not using exetel connection. It is not connected and no available networks are appearing on the screen. Usually I can see Bigpond, Optus and our own Exetel. I was thinking of switching everything off and leaving it off for 10minutes then switching everything back on again. What do you think?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:43 pm

As I said in my PM reply to you: since your computer has had it's operating system re-installed, you will need to reinstall the drivers for your wireless adaptor
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

msp

solution found to get internet working again

Post by msp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Thankyou Jason and Corey:

You were both right. I did have to update the device - "NETGEAR USB" (WgV112). And I did this by running 'devmgmt.msc' and clicking on the device that I wanted updated. This opened the Hardware Update Wizard which I followed to completion and immediately the blue light lit up on the USB. I removed the ethernet cable and we're up and running wirelessly again. So,now I have to remember that whenever the operating system is re-installed for whatever reason, specific devices connected to the computer have to be updated, otherwise the internet will not work properly. Thankyou both for your help.

msp

Re: connection after upgrading computer with Windows 8

Post by msp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 am

Have new computer with windows 8,as well as new router (netgear DGN2200v3). All lights on while the ethernet cable is plugged in but once cable removed, dsl light goes out and consequently no internet. It should really be functioning wirelessly. Any suggestions please?

saadbafik
Exetel Staff

Re: connection after upgrading computer with Windows 8

Post by saadbafik » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 am

msp wrote:Have new computer with windows 8,as well as new router (netgear DGN2200v3). All lights on while the ethernet cable is plugged in but once cable removed, dsl light goes out and consequently no internet. It should really be functioning wirelessly. Any suggestions please?
Hi,

I have sent you an e-mail, please have a look

Your reference : 6175737

Regards,
Saad B

msp

Post by msp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:35 am

where was the email sent to? I only have yahoo email.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am

msp wrote:where was the email sent to? I only have yahoo email.
Hi,

The email has been sent to the nominated email address in the account, which is a '@y7mail.com' email address.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================