No internet except Exetel? (BNE)

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
yorkhoh

Re: No internet except Exetel? (BNE)

Post by yorkhoh » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Finally went back to "server assigned DNS"

Noticed that "Default Gateway" and "Primary DNS" is somewhat different to what I remember.
Default Gateway = 58.96.1.205
Primary DNS = 58.96.1.226
Secondary DNS = 220.233.0.3

I have stored in my ATA the old Primary and Secondary DNS that were issued previously (taken from about 4 months ago maybe)
Primary DNS = 220.233.0.3
Secondary DNS = 220.233.0.4

The new 58.96.1.226 reminds me of the VoIP SIP server address, I'm sure it isn't.
Either way, I've since watched 12+ minute clips on youtube with the newer 58.96.1.226 DNS without a hitch. Seems like it may be slower - but hey ... at least I'm consistently online now. And that's quite important to us Naked ADSL2+ users.

WilliamC

Post by WilliamC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 am

That is strange,

By any chance was this at the same time of the outage ?

approximately 12:00am AEST.

yorkhoh

Post by yorkhoh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

WilliamC wrote:That is strange,

By any chance was this at the same time of the outage ?

approximately 12:00am AEST.
I doubt it. My problems started at 00:40 hours on April 8, 2010. That's 02:40 AEST.
All I could really do was get onto the Exetel website, and when I browsed "Network Status" there was no mention of any outages.
Checked out the Planned/Unplanned outages - no mention there when I had my issue.

I reset the modem several times around 07:00 (AWST) with no fix - varying the length of times the modem was off. Though nothing longer than 3 minutes.
Hours later when I returned from golf, the problem was still persisting - again reset the modem several times. Again no real long resets like the 15 minutes one user mentioned here.

Problem stopped around 18:30 AWST (20:30 AEST) for me after about 2 hours of trying other public DNS servers, that did not work well with Exetel. Google and OpenDNS DNS servers sporadically would fail the ping test - affected my ATA's ability to maintain registration.

Does that mean this Primary DNS (beginning with 58) is a temporary service while this current outage, you speak of, is worked out?
I notice on http://www.exetel.com.au/supportindex.php#dnsset it states the 220 numbers.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:56 pm

yorkhoh wrote:Does that mean this Primary DNS (beginning with 58) is a temporary service while this current outage, you speak of, is worked out?
I notice on http://www.exetel.com.au/supportindex.php#dnsset it states the 220 numbers.
No, the 58.96.1.226 IP is the WA DNS Server (it was added on the 1st March).

adriansmith

Post by adriansmith » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 am

Now seeing this problem with ADSL2 connection in Sydney.

Have been away for 10 days so not sure when it started.

Will try power-cycling the modem and see what happens.

Exetel 3G connection working fine.

platash

Post by platash » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:59 am

Hi All

I am in Guildford (eastern suburb of Perth) and I've had similar problems. I can get email, I am getting windows updates and my anti virus updates, I can get on to exetel and westnet websites but can't get on to any other web sites. I have used both Internet Explorer and Firefox to get onto the internet and both are the same. I have run many antivirus and malware scans using a variety of products and everything is clear. According to the Exetel website my connection speed is 1.9mbps so I am definitely connected. It has been going on since the weekend.

Any ideas?

Thanks

peter

Private message

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 am

Can you please PM your number to me ?