Slow speeds on weekend mornings

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
marting

Slow speeds on weekend mornings

Post by marting » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 am

I've been complaining to exetel about very low speeds I'm getting in the weekends. 495.2 kbps this morning. I provided trace route and quite a few speed test results. (ticket #2460015). So this is the response I get:

Code: Select all

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please monitor the service and if you experience any speed issues please reply on this email. 

Regards,

Anushka
Support Engineer
Exetel Pty Ltd

What does it mean? That they have no idea what the problem is? What is it that you have to do that your speed problem would be properly investigated and fixed? In the evenings I sometimes get 8000kbps and there are no changes in my setup. And while I get the low speeds I can still stream HD on my lan. So the problem is obviously on the exetel side.

sykdup

Re: Slow speeds on weekend mornings

Post by sykdup » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:31 am

Same for me. As soon as it hits 12:01pm my speeds increase from 50KB/s to around 800KB/s on the same download.

Nathan

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Check the Exetel network graphs for your your State/Territory connection and other links.

If they show no problems on any of the Exetel links that deliver your service then that indicates that there is some sort of congestion on the carrier links between your exchange and the carriers hand off to Exetel.

If it is a carrier link problem there is nothing that Exetel can do to alleviate it....we could point it out to the carrier but nothing will happen.

If there is congestion on any link under Exetel's control then it will be quickly addressed....when any link hits a peak of 95% at any time an alarm is triggered and a bandwidth upgrade for that particular link is ordered.....lead time is usually a few days between order and upgrade.

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: Check the Exetel network graphs for your your State/Territory connection and other links.
Where and how to check the graph?

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 am

I had the same problem too and did some searching on the forum i found this
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=33356

Apparently during the off peak hour Exetel contrains the download speed, i normally get 300-400k during offpeak but now i only get 20-30k. I cant even stream video on youtube during the offpeak, Its so slow. I wonder if TPG have the same policy limiting the speed during their off peak or not? i will definately change if this is not the case with TPG.

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:19 pm

My connection speed was also very slow in the morning of Sat, Sun and Public holiday.
Once after noon, the speed raises a lot more.

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 am

Exactly my concern. Exetel throttle the speed during offpeak where most of their plans have the most download during offpeak. What is the point when the users cant even use any of this download? I cant stream video on youtube or watch vidzone on my PS3. Now is this what you call value for money?

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:19 pm

So it looks like not related to the distance from the exchange.
This was the excuse that ISP always use to say your download speed is low because you are living not adjacent to the exchange.

But the actual fact is they slow down your speed.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:09 pm

dtn22 wrote:I had the same problem too and did some searching on the forum i found this

Apparently during the off peak hour Exetel contrains the download speed
Only for P2P apps, as far as I'm aware, so why would that affect YouTube, etc?

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Klaas wrote:
dtn22 wrote:I had the same problem too and did some searching on the forum i found this

Apparently during the off peak hour Exetel contrains the download speed
Only for P2P apps, as far as I'm aware, so why would that affect YouTube, etc?
And why is web surfing so slow during this time? And why do pages keep timing out? And why are VOIP calls so choppy?

Could it be that you need to upgrade your network capacity! :shock:
Moved onto greener pastures

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Murphy09 wrote:Could it be that you need to upgrade your network capacity! :shock:
Klaas is a customer ... like you - he is not an Exetel employee so the "you" and "your" in your post are misplaced. Please don't take out your frustrations on fellow customers - being petulant on the Forum doesn't help anyone.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Gidget wrote:Klaas is a customer ... like you
I am totally aware of that...seems pretty obvious to me! His name isn't in green!

I was agreeing with him, and the "you" was aimed at Exetel. I thought that was obvious since they're the only ones here with a network that could be upgraded. I certainly don't think that Klaas upgrading his (home) network would help me! :D
Moved onto greener pastures

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Murphy09 wrote:
Gidget wrote:Klaas is a customer ... like you
I am totally aware of that...seems pretty obvious to me! His name isn't in green!

I was agreeing with him, and the "you" was aimed at Exetel. I thought that was obvious since they're the only ones here with a network that could be upgraded. I certainly don't think that Klaas upgrading his (home) network would help me! :D
Okay, but to avoid confusion in future it is a good idea to only make comments directed to Exetel to Exetel employees, not fellow customers (green or otherwise - I'm not an employee either :mrgreen:.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 am

Murphy09 wrote:Could it be that you need to upgrade your network capacity!
Or Telstra need to increase their various backhauls, for example. If your exchange and its backhaul are congested, there's not a lot that Exetel can do.

Exetel only directly manage and control one part of the "end to end" network, and everything I've read in here, in John Linton's blog, and the publicly available graphs and network diagrams indicates that Exetel manage both sides of their connection to amply cope with peak demand.

Additionally, their cache implementation can only have improved access to popular files.