Slow speeds on weekend mornings

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
marting

Re: Slow speeds on weekend mornings

Post by marting » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Check the Exetel network graphs for your your State/Territory connection and other links.
If it is a carrier link problem there is nothing that Exetel can do to alleviate it....we could point it out to the carrier but nothing will happen.
Isn't there an agreement between exetel and the carrier to some minimal speed? Which in this case would be at least DSL speed.
Does it mean that exetel just leases lines without any commitment from the provider? Why would anybody do that?
How likely is it to happen with an ISP that has its own DSLAMs (TPG, Internode)?

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm

marting wrote:Isn't there an agreement between exetel and the carrier to some minimal speed?
Not for residential connections - I think you'll find this to be the case for any ISP - the carrier provides no Service Level Agreement.

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Klaas wrote:Or Telstra need to increase their various backhauls, for example. If your exchange and its backhaul are congested, there's not a lot that Exetel can do.
I don't think ADSL2 uses Telstra backhaul like ADSL1 does, so that's not really relevant. ADSL2 uses backhaul to/from the wholesaler (Optus/AAPT) and if this is underprovisioned then there certainly will be slowdowns and packet loss for Exetel customers even though the Optus/AAPT retails customers are not suffering a problem on these exchanges. From the testing and investigation I've done I suspect this is happening,
Moved onto greener pastures

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Exetel supplies graphs of the links under it's control in the members area:
Simply login to your account, and click on the link:
To see if there are any known issues with the Exetel controlled parts of the network please click here.

Half way down the page, there is this:
"Current ADSL Services Status"

Pick the service type you have, and click the link beside it, and you'll see the graphs of the links under Exetel's control, which management review and upgrade as they require.

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:14 pm

The PowerTel NSW graph looks like it get congested during busy periods (it flattens out). This was already discussed on the Whirlpool forums weeks ago. But that's not a big deal, it's just a pretty graph after all.

The real problem is that we do notice the congestion to the Exetel network during busy periods (no need to look at a graph to tell us that). So graph or no graph, I know there is congestion on the backhaul. 8)

marting

Post by marting » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:16 am

Klaas wrote: I think you'll find this to be the case for any ISP - the carrier provides no Service Level Agreement.
Do you mean all ISPs or only ISPs that lease DSLAMs from Optus? I suppose it's only ISPs that resell as someone mentioned that
Optus customers don't experience slowdowns.

Does Exetel plan to do something about it? What's the point of having ADSL2 when at the most important times it
drops to dialup speeds? You can't even watch youtube videos or make skype video calls when it slows down.
You can have the best value plan with the most extras and best customer service but if the product doesn't do
what it's supposed to do it's useless.

I don't quite understand how Exetel could get into a contract with Optus without an SLA. This is kind of what Accenture does with Optus
and none of their projects seem to work or even get to completion.

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am

This is painful. There shouldn't be any packet loss on my near-perfect line but the backhaul is always under-provisioned on weekend mornings, like the thread title says. It results in useless VOIP and Skype calls, slow browsing, and this:

Ping statistics for 220.233.0.9:
Packets: Sent = 125, Received = 106, Lost = 19 (15% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 36ms

jubba

Post by jubba » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:46 am

yeah browsing is damn slow abc taking 10 seconds to load :S

also getting packet loss
1709 packets transmitted, 1364 received, 20% packet loss, time 1711696ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.597/16.785/27.388/1.648 ms

senzan

Post by senzan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Yeah I had to go make a coffee waiting for a 01:30 youtube clip to load yesterday morning.

Really not acceptable for an Internet provider in 2010 :x

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 pm

i was told it would only affect p2p download because of the throttle during offpeak. Buy i think its apply to all traffic because i cant stream video on utube just like the rest and can not download from http such as updates from microsoft site. It just hang after a few mins and lost connection. Peak download is great but i only have 8G per month.