Horrible speed 12am onwards

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
thepeonwhocould

Horrible speed 12am onwards

Post by thepeonwhocould » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Now I realize that exetel has always tended to have a decrease in speed during these times. But it has always been acceptable, I could always still use my connection for viewing youtube and stuff.

But I noticed recently, in the last week or so, my speed is horrible during the offpeak period. I can not view youtube videos after 12am without huge buffering every 5 seconds (so its basically no youtube after 12am for me).

My speedtest.net during the afternoon is 6.5 mbps. From 12am-4am its about 1.3mbps (and this doesn't tell the real story...youtube ends up loading videos at about 0.3mbps...)

Has anyone else noticed their connection getting even slower then usual during offpeak?

jubba

Re: Horrible speed 12am onwards

Post by jubba » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:58 pm

if you look at the other threads u'll see that they're other people with problems during offpeak.
Your problems are most probably congestion related.
You can check the exetel network graphs on the members facilities (at the bottom of https://www.exetel.com.au/members/a_network.php) check the ones applicable to you (depending on what state your on and whether ur on a powertel or optus plan). This will tell you if there is any congestion.

If it is you just have to wait to see and hope exetel deals with the issue.

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:33 pm

i have the same problem and there are a few users as well. Here is one of the post from recently.
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=15

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:41 pm

thepeonwhocould wrote:Has anyone else noticed their connection getting even slower then usual during offpeak?
It is to be expected I reckon.

But I've noticed that Exetel go through fluctuations in off-peak congestion levels. It is just constantly changing demand vs regularly increased bandwidth supply that make the degree of congestion fluctuate month to month
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 pm

CoreyPlover wrote: But I've noticed that Exetel go through fluctuations in off-peak congestion levels.
Yeah, off peak usage "peaks" every weekend, school holidays, and end of month ... Exetel just seem to run too close to the bone.