Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
bathuu

Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Post by bathuu » Wed May 05, 2010 6:54 pm

:shock: I just got an email notification saying that off-peak time has been reduced by whole 6 hours, from 2am to 8am. I think this is a really joke that I can't bear. It is bit funny that you suggesting by scheduling downloader wisely, we will still be able to download as usual. In the off peak period, we don't just only download things we also browse til 12 or 2 o'clock afternoon effectively, however the period is set. By cutting this efficient hours and same time not increasing allocated peak bandwidth is seem like bit of rip off. :evil:
This makes me seriously consider different service providers like TPG already offering 130GB (70GB/60GB) for $49.99 plan. :!:

ToeJam

Re: Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Post by ToeJam » Wed May 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Agreed, it is crappy but they are giving us ”free” wireless for $1.75 per mb and a 12 month contract. So when will they change the Free bit or the $1.75 per mb? The contracts are only binding for us.

patrickmac

Post by patrickmac » Wed May 05, 2010 7:15 pm

:x come on exetel, the 12 hour off-peak times make exetel stand out from the crowd... tpg and iinet both have off-peak periods of 6 hours (2am-8am) and iprimus have 8 hours (2am-10am).

a downloading scheduler does not fix the problem of download intensive web browsing, namely streaming and the such, in the mornings (ie 10am) and late at night (1am).

i believe it's hardly fair to change the off-peak periods to customers who are on a contract...

a good compromise, as offered by bathuu, would be to increase the amount of peak data allowance. i think a 25% increase in the peak data allowance would be a fair compromise, as the length of our peak time is increased by 50%.

theokalat

Post by theokalat » Wed May 05, 2010 7:39 pm

I am sure before exetel threw this crap at us, they sought legal advise as to where they stand if their clients decided to opt out of the contract they signed by claiming that it is a breach of contract by exetel, therefore the other party has the right to cancel the contract without penalty in cancellation fees.
As far as I recall from a recent case somewhere,under Australian contract law, this IS a breach of contract by Exetel, regardless of what they post on their terms and agreements section at the time when they want you to sign up to any of their plans.
If I can find this case, I guarantee you exetel will not have a leg to stand on. I will make this case available to whoever wants to use it against exetel and optout of this crappy contract.
Any customer who feels robbed by this decision to reduce the off peak hours will be able cancel their contract and go elsewhere, and I will be one of them.
This is deliberate from them, as they very well know that people will not sit up till 2am to switch their computers on to do some heavy downloads all night while they go to sleep, most people go to sleep by midnight, as we all work or go to school,college, right?
This is clearly designed to reduce the number of night owls starting heavy downloads after midnight then hopping off to bed shrotly afterwards.

having said all this, I also think a better solution and fairer compromise would be to increase peak downloads proportional to the increase in peak hours. Anything short of this is simply bloody greedy by this mob. If they did increase peak downloads, I may stay with them.
Last edited by theokalat on Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mouseman

Post by mouseman » Wed May 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I for one shall be leaving to go elsewhere

Final nail in the coffin

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Wed May 05, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm not here to be bitching, but I find it funny how Exetel words some of the last few emails regarding plan changes. Yes, I can download a lot of data in a month. I think my highest off peak usage has been up around 75gb or something. But if you look at my annual stats I am well within the range of an "average" user as defined by exetel.

What I have noticed recently is that the 12Gb peak limit is rather limiting in this day and age of data transfer. For the last few months I have barely d/l anything at all peak or off peak. My wife, who is not so computer savvy just uses internet as she will. She only uses Facebook, ebay, Yahoo email and will occasionally watch episodes of Bold and Beautiful and Neighbours from Ten's website if she misses them. My usage comprises of Facebook, email, IRC (low usage) and the occasional Youtube videos. This type of usage almost consumes our entire peak period limit. Suprising to say the least.

The off peak time changes will mean that there is no realistic time I can advise my wife to watch streaming content which can count outside of the peak usage slot. Previously, I could advise her to watch these episodes in the mornings before 12PM, but now it is not the case.

Last time I looked, Exetel offered "Unlimited" in off peak. What does that mean? I dont recall reading an email about that change? Last I knew, we were allowed to use 3 times the average user's usage from the previous month? If Exetel can offer us "Unlimited" in off peak, why does the time frame have to be lowered? Could the time frame be pushed from 2AM forward so the end of the off peak period is within a more usable time slot for watching streaming content?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed May 05, 2010 7:52 pm

theokalat, I'm not too impressed either, although I have enough peak quota not to worry. But you don't need to sit up - every personal computer made has a clock and a simple way to schedule activity. Just schedule your downloader to wake up at the desired time, and go to bed. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=288&t=31976 and http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31664

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed May 05, 2010 7:53 pm

May as well dump off peak all together and create new 24/7 plans with increased usage. I don't think I will be churning but the difference between the different ISP's and Exetel is now non-existant.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

farah9

Post by farah9 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm not happy about this, I only just signed on a couple of months ago. :(

Teotwauki

Post by Teotwauki » Wed May 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Also not happy about the change, also have signed up recently. $1.75/mb isn't cheap and I do not see this as any form of compensation. Assuming that is a dollar value and not a value in cents, Exetel didn't specify.

nosmash

Post by nosmash » Wed May 05, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm also not happy with this. I've been a loyal customer. Have accepted their changes before including the $3.00 processing fee and the temporary change of off-peak period from 12am to 2am last year. I'm seriously thinking of churning. Also, their 1.75/mb PAYU offer is even higher than what they are now offering. New residential customer are offered 1.5/mb.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed May 05, 2010 11:13 pm

ToeJam wrote:Agreed, it is crappy but they are giving us ”free” wireless for $1.75 per mb and a 12 month contract. So when will they change the Free bit or the $1.75 per mb? The contracts are only binding for us.
It was meant to be 1.75c, or $0.0175/meg.

ash.wednesday

Post by ash.wednesday » Wed May 05, 2010 11:27 pm

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE.

I too just signed up for Exetel (last December). I signed up with Exetel specifically because of the 12am - 12pm off-peak offer. The deal they are offering now is so much WORSE than the services offered by other competing providers. Even their "free" wireless service is ridiculously expensive (again, assuming it's $1.75 per MB and not $0.0175). But even if it were $0.0175 per MB, it will still be more expensive than a normal plan.

FFS Exetel, get your act together. Don't drive all your customers away with these ridiculous changes especially for those still on a contract. I'm sure there is a legal loophole somewhere that gives us, the consumers, some rights in this scandalous turn of events...
Last edited by CoreyPlover on Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Curb your language. It is very easy to express yourself without having to resort to profanities

GalantDave

Post by GalantDave » Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Maybe you could offer users a choice of either:

12am-12pm off peak at a limit of say 60GB and at 50c per excess GB just as things were.

OR

2AM – 8AM unlimited (86GB whatever it is + full throttle)

Just my idea to help resolve this situation.
since the whole problem is about choice, Just give people the choice
Last edited by GalantDave on Wed May 05, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed May 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Ash Wednesday,

Please read your contract, particularly the bit about the AUP; http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php

Start from section 9.

James
Last edited by James on Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.