Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Tazz

Re: Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Post by Tazz » Wed May 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Give us a choice between offpeak 12-12 with a limit, or if we want unlimited then offpeak is 2-8.
Please don't penalise us all!!

GalantDave

Post by GalantDave » Wed May 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Your staff James so what are you saying???

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Wed May 05, 2010 11:55 pm

It's not only the reduction of my off peak downloads by 50% which stuffs me up, but also the increase in my peak period - which means my already thinly spread 12GB peak usage will become unsuitable. This means more change of line fee's (Just paid $10 to change 2 months ago, glad that worked out so well....) and an increased monthly cost - for less total downloads than what I was getting before. Not only that, going off their history it's most likely whatever plan I go to will be changed within a month anyway, so I'm sure we'll face further reductions in value in the future.

I've gone from a 12gb / 86gb - $45 p/m - 12 hour peak / 12 hour off peak plan to a 12gb / 96gb (fully saturated) - $50 p/m - 18 hour peak / 6 hour off peak plan and paid $10 for the privilege of doing so. Makes a customer feel good.

All this started with the introduction of unlimited plans (oh sorry "unmetered" plans) which no one asked for, which has lead to a dramatic downhill spiral for Exetel. Please just go back to the good old days where there is a set peak, set offpeak, and a 12 hour offpeak window so everyone know's exactly what the situation is and everyone is happy.

In compensation they are offering something completely useless to me, and I'm sure many other people.

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Thu May 06, 2010 12:27 am

http://www.tio.com.au/make_a_complaint.htm

Paying to switch accross to a 'Unlimited' 12am-12pm plan and then the next month it being taken off you isn't fair. File a complaint with the TIO. The more people that do, the more the TIO are likely to do something. (not to mention each complaint will hit the hip pocket of these greddy and incompetent idiots running this place).
Last edited by CoreyPlover on Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Curb your langauge. Also, your post is disastrously incorrect. But it is a free world and you are free to misrepresent facts if you choose to

YOUNGCHUL76

Post by YOUNGCHUL76 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 am

I agree with the comment that our PEAK DATA allowance is directly affected by this change.

I sincerely hope Exetel listens to their customers, which has the reason why it has been growing successfully.

Musicinbed

Post by Musicinbed » Thu May 06, 2010 12:37 am

I think that this was the right thing to do.

Exetel need to have the 'unlimited' name if they wish to compete in the future. This is the only way they can do that.
Perhaps now we can download to our hearts content in offpeak and not worry about going over our 'unlimited' quota? :P

There is just NO WAY that exetel can compete with TPG offering their large shaping speeds and uncapped downloads otherwise, same with AAPT.

Don't complain to the TIO, exetel do what they must to keep AFLOAT, they only make like $1 a month per customer, they simply can't offer more without going into debt. They certainly aren't greedy.

It would be nice if exetel do allow users to break their contracts though, even though exetel is entirely within their rights to not allow it.

j tripolone

Post by j tripolone » Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 am

The carrot dangling free Wi Fi is not even a baby carrot, i also will be shopping around to other suppliers, as 6 hours of off-peak downloads during nite shift is great if your a shift worker or live in SRI LANKA, but not Australasia. 50% reduction is too much too soon, why not 25% reduction and then take a wait and see attitude as you have with your announcement to us on this issue.

GalantDave

Post by GalantDave » Thu May 06, 2010 1:06 am

Give us a choice between offpeak 12-12 with a limit, or if we want unlimited then offpeak is 2-8.

david256

Post by david256 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:21 am

As the Peak times have been increased by 50% Exetel should offer Plans with a higher peak Download Quota, 120GB+ ( at an extra cost) and bring back the .50c per GB Excess charge for the peak period.

Personally I think a change to 12am - 8am off peak would have been reasonable, cutting the off peak by 50% is excessive.

or as GalantDave suggested, give us a choice.

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 am

Exetel is a shifty bunch, 1st it was the removal of free sms, fax and voip calls. Then they introduced new plan up grade with more download but charged 10 to change plan, then another plan for unlimited download during off peak and another $10 to change plan now this? Do you notice how the speed during offpeak is so slow? they throttle it but always denied they dont, with this new proposed time frame i bet you cant even download anything. You can say good bye to all your unlimited download. I will also join other users on here to report it to fair trading and ACCC and i encourage to all users to do the same, if the majority of users report they(fair trading and ACC) will take it seriously. Also what ever happen to the no exit fee offer to the users if they wish to leave when a change in contract? TPG is looking better everyday dont you agree?

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Thu May 06, 2010 9:24 am

Dazzled wrote:theokalat, I'm not too impressed either, although I have enough peak quota not to worry. But you don't need to sit up - every personal computer made has a clock and a simple way to schedule activity. Just schedule your downloader to wake up at the desired time, and go to bed. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=288&t=31976 and http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31664
This is not the point.
If that is the case, how about the off-peak period becomes 3 am to 6 am?

Freak Exetel.

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 am

Exetel can you tell me one reason why I stay with you after this off-peak period changed?
Any differences between you and other ISP's plans? eg. TPG.

mily

Post by mily » Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 am

Can't believe this. I just paid $10 to change my plan plus an extra $5 per month five days ago, then exetel will halve my off-peak time and effectively cut my peak-quota by 1/3. I do saw some better plans from the competitors, as least with 25% cheaper, same peak quota and a usable shaped speed with real unlimited usage. If exetel does not withdraw of amend this "decision", I will very likely vote with my feet next month.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 06, 2010 9:50 am

RyanC wrote:http://www.tio.com.au/make_a_complaint.htm

Paying to switch accross to a 'Unlimited' 12am-12pm plan and then the next month it being taken off you isn't fair. File a complaint with the TIO. The more people that do, the more the TIO are likely to do something. (not to mention each complaint will hit the hip pocket of these greddy and incompetent idiots running this place).
I can not find a single part of this post which is correct in any way.
1. The "Unlimited" part of the plans have not been "taken away". It has simply been "shortened".
2. The Acceptable Usage Policy and the plan's T&C allow modification, or even complete removal, of off-peak bonus downloads. You accepted these policies when you commenced your contract
3. The TIO cannot handle complaints about charges. They are also an office of "last resort", not first resort. So I suggest you stop scaremongering and making empty threats
4. Exetel are not greedy by any definition of the word. From admission of everyone one this thread, users here are of the opinion that Exetel is now equal value to competitors' services
5. Posting that Exetel are incompetent idiots constitutes slander.

One crucial of these forums is that people post in a civil manner. In hindsight, Exetel's treatment of unlimited plans could have been handled better. But hindsight is an ability that is only available to naysayers. How about offering concrete suggestions for future services rather than griping?
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 06, 2010 9:51 am

dtn22 wrote:Exetel is a shifty bunch, 1st it was the removal of free sms, fax and voip calls. Then they introduced new plan up grade with more download but charged 10 to change plan, then another plan for unlimited download during off peak and another $10 to change plan now this? Do you notice how the speed during offpeak is so slow? they throttle it but always denied they dont, with this new proposed time frame i bet you cant even download anything. You can say good bye to all your unlimited download. I will also join other users on here to report it to fair trading and ACCC and i encourage to all users to do the same, if the majority of users report they(fair trading and ACC) will take it seriously. Also what ever happen to the no exit fee offer to the users if they wish to leave when a change in contract? TPG is looking better everyday dont you agree?
Again, another post that is full of inaccuracies:
1. When they removed added extras, they also increased peak time download quotas
2. $10 for a plan charge fee sounds completely reasonable to me, especially if your benefits are increasing as you incur the fee
3. Exetel do not throttle. Go and look up the laws of supply and demand. And also ask your exchange what its capacity is.
4. I will gladly make a bet with you about how much can be downloaded in a 6 hour window for 30 days of the month.
5. There is no aspect of Exetel's conduct that I think the ACCC or TIO will deem to be unfair.
6. You are correct: The "No exit fee" only applies if there is a change in contract. There has been no change in contract here.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au