Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
ManUtdFans

Re: Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Post by ManUtdFans » Thu May 06, 2010 11:26 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
ManUtdFans wrote:"4. I will gladly make a bet with you about how much can be downloaded in a 6 hour window for 30 days of the month."
- It depends on the time range, are you going to keep the pc on from mid-night till 8am? I don't know if the pc sits in your bedroom, may be not, but this is in my case. My pc sits in my bedroom.
- 6 hours for me is fine if the time range is 6am to 12pm.
There are many options available to you which would enable you to harness the 2am-8am off-peak window. Do you have an ultra noisy computer that prevents sleep? If so, invest in a more silent computer, or a netbook that you can locate in a different room. You can now even get routers which have a hard drive in them that can schedule downloads themselves without any need for a computer.

The entire purpose of off-peak as a high quota download period is that it is not convenient for everyone. It operates on the same principles as off-peak electricity rates (water heaters that operate overnight, etc).
Then why wouldn't me churn away to other ISP instead of investing in a more silent computer?

The point is still the same: we are not opposing the off-peak download period, this is Exetel staffs trying to mislead us, 'BUT' we are opposing the so much reduction in the off-peak download time from 2am-12pm to 2am-8am.

PaulT

Post by PaulT » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 am

RyanC wrote: Paying to switch accross to a 'Unlimited' 12am-12pm plan and then the next month it being taken off you isn't fair. File a complaint with the TIO. The more people that do, the more the TIO are likely to do something. (not to mention each complaint will hit the hip pocket of these greddy and incompetent idiots running this place).
theokalat wrote:...
As far as I recall from a recent case somewhere,under Australian contract law, this IS a breach of contract by Exetel, .... Any customer who feels robbed by this decision to reduce the off peak hours will be able cancel their contract and go elsewhere, and I will be one of them.
I presume these posts were written in the heat of the moment. RyanC's advice seems to misunderstand the role and process of the TIO. The TIO in the first instance will simply refer you back to Exetel. Unless you take it up with Exetel and seek resolution with them, the TIO won't get involved. If the TIO get involved, they do so on a case by case basis and are no more or less likely to do something whether there is one or one hundred complaints. When they do get involved, the letter of the contract will hold and I think you'll find yourself hosed. "Theokalat" also seems to show a complete lack of finesse.

I understand the need to vent but a public forum probably doesn't help your cause.

For those who feel aggrieved by this announcement, in the first instance you'd be much better off to try and negotiate a settlement directly with Exetel. In my experience with an issue I had (that was fairly unique to me), they made an offer which was fair. Avoid demanding anything. Rather enter a conversation that seeks to remedy your complaint. You may make suggestions, but you're unlikely to get anywhere if you demand. While I doubt you'll get anywhere trying to maintain the current 12am-12pm off peak, you may find it beneficial to talk to Exetel about dropping any remaining contractual periods and/or pay costs to churn to another ISP with a similar plan to your current contract. Be realistic, rational and willing to negotiate.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 06, 2010 12:03 pm

ManUtdFans wrote:Then why wouldn't me churn away to other ISP instead of investing in a more silent computer?
You are welcome to, if that is what you want. But other ISPs have 2am-8am or 2am-10am as well, so your issue still remains.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Muffinguy

Post by Muffinguy » Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I am with the mob here I'm afraid, not at all happy with this desicion, but having said that i beleive this is a move out of circumstance not one out of company greed.
Going from Exetel's past performance (in my case anyway), the plan i originally signed up to back in 2008 has been getting better and better. So now Exetel have to tighten the strings a little.
I beleive Exetel are also a company that will take our feedback into consideration, so from the 4 pages of complaints I have just been through, I trust Exetel will come up with a compromise.

dtn22

Post by dtn22 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Coreyplover,

My plan is INC2DSLA, i had all the extra when i joined 10 months ago and all the extra was scraped on my 5th months while i'm still on my contract. After that incident i refused to upgrade my plan no matter how attractive it is. I dont know what you were saying when you said no contract were affected when Exetel scraped the extra .
Last edited by dtn22 on Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Having been with Exetel since 2004, I generally find that on average the plans give me better value for money as the years roll on. Sure there may be ways to structure plans that I like more, however I can live with things as they are, especially since the last missive saying in part:

Code: Select all

"Legally" there is absolutely no doubt that Exetel has the right to exercise the option of changing the 'free download period' or, in fact, removing it completely at any time.

Equally obviously no commercial company wants to retain any customer who is not happy with the services that Exetel provides.

We will therefore delay any change to the introduction to the off peak period for all customers who are within their initial contract period until their contract period ends.

We will also delay any change in the off peak period for all customers who are out of contract until September 1st  to allow more time for them to look for a more suitable provider of ADSL services.
Since I just entered into a 12 month contract, things will remain as they are until next year.

I'm sure there will be a plan/limits change or three between now and then, and I'll evaluate the situation as it evolves, talking politely with Exetel if required, since the few issues I've had with Exetel over the years have all been resolved reasonably, even if one took a little time.

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
ManUtdFans wrote:Then why wouldn't me churn away to other ISP instead of investing in a more silent computer?
You are welcome to, if that is what you want. But other ISPs have 2am-8am or 2am-10am as well, so your issue still remains.
You don't get the point.
We all know other ISPs are having the same off-peak period from 2am-8am, we all know most of the ISPs are like that. The point is Exetel are getting more frequent that whenever there are 'new plans' come out, they also impose some restrictions or cut out bits and pieces off the plan not long after that, this is from my 6 years experiences with Exetel.

Exetel just released some plans:
Z/20INCTEL,....Z/23INCTEL (unlimited off-peak download)

I just switched to Z/21INCTEL last month.
These are pretty new plans, back few months ago, charge $10 for plan switching, and then announced reduced off-peak period this morning.

They tempted to pursuade users to the new plans (+ $10, although that's not much but from my point of view it is ridiculous)

Shonky

Post by Shonky » Thu May 06, 2010 2:10 pm

Seriously Exetel. I know the company line seems to be "if you don't like it leave" but come on. That costs more money in connection fees and the hassle of downtime during the changeover. Not that you care by that stage because you've lost the customer. The ever moving goal post of plans has become a farce. They are changing monthly now.

I think it's only fair to refund the plan change fee for a start. I had to pay a fee to change, now I'm told my plan is changing. How about Exetel pays a fee to me? Had I known this was going to happen I would have kept my old plan. But no, that's not going to happen either.

I see there is a secondary announcment email today to cover as a result of the backlash in an attempt to point us at T&Cs. Nice to see you're acknowledging the complaints exist but then ignoring the customers. Remebering of course that many people weren't on unlimited plans before this. Also your "T&Cs" refer to to an "uncharged" period. Funny that we are on "unlimited = no limit" plans. The old term was "uncharged" and referred to quite different plans. Did the legal eagles let that one through? You might have have trouble arguing that.

There is nothing in this for the customer. Exetel have sucked in enough people with the draw of the plans and whilst some will leave I doubt everyone will because of the aforementioned costs in changing ISPs.

This is bait and switch tactics.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 pm

ManUtdFans wrote:You don't get the point.
I absolutely get the point, but imagine the following:
* Company A offers a plan that you rate as, let us say, 85 out of 100
* Company B offers a plan that you rate as, say, 90 or 95 out of 100, but then 1 month later make an announcement that they are making changes. After those changes, you rate the plan as 85 out of 100

How can you rationally say that Company B is worse than Company A? For whatever frustration you may feel, they are still offering something equal (actually in my opinion, still better) than the competitors.

Personally, I prefer Exetel's hit-and-miss constant innovation. n my opinion, they hit more often than they miss and I'd rather take this sort of chance and get additions to my plan while on contract than be stuck in a different company's 12 month contract, without any benefits added while the ADSL landscape around me is constantly changing.

Besides which, read the update. Reduced off-peak will *not* apply to people on contract, and will only begin to apply in September for everyone else.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

ManUtdFans

Post by ManUtdFans » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
ManUtdFans wrote:You don't get the point.
I absolutely get the point, but imagine the following:
* Company A offers a plan that you rate as, let us say, 85 out of 100
* Company B offers a plan that you rate as, say, 90 or 95 out of 100, but then 1 month later make an announcement that they are making changes. After those changes, you rate the plan as 85 out of 100

How can you rationally say that Company B is worse than Company A? For whatever frustration you may feel, they are still offering something equal (actually in my opinion, still better) than the competitors.

Personally, I prefer Exetel's hit-and-miss constant innovation. n my opinion, they hit more often than they miss and I'd rather take this sort of chance and get additions to my plan while on contract than be stuck in a different company's 12 month contract, without any benefits added while the ADSL landscape around me is constantly changing.

Besides which, read the update. Reduced off-peak will *not* apply to people on contract, and will only begin to apply in September for everyone else.

Don't you see what is happening? You can see there are flooding of messages in this topic, don't you see that. We are not saying Exetel have worse service than other ISPs, there are tons of messages saying Exetel keeping changing, reducing the 'benefits' from time to time.
I can site an example,
Resturant A, I gave 85 out of 100.
Resturant B, I gave 95 out of 100, now suddenly resturant B increase the price (or some holiday charge, admin fees, ..etc) and decrease the quality or quantity( a sort of). So I still give it 85 out of 100.
BUT, I am angry, so I will go to resturant A, because I am angry.

Exetel don't you see we are angry?

For you second point,
I just switched to Z/21INCTEL, and I think I am NOT in contract.

ronm

Post by ronm » Thu May 06, 2010 2:46 pm

I have to add my voice to the disapproval of this change. I also have just recently changed my plan.

I think Exetel have struck trouble with the unlimited traffic for off peak use. I suggest Exetel go back to allowing a reasonable download limit for off peak say 60GB and then charge say $2 for each additional GB. This should slow down the surge after midnight and if we do go over its not a lot of money. Also off peak could start at 2pm and finish at 12pm.

I think this would be better than a knee jerk reaction to changing conditions in the market place. Also loyal users would feel inclined to stay with a very good ISP and tell their friends also.

ronm

Post by ronm » Thu May 06, 2010 2:57 pm

This is getting ridiculous every time I look at the change plan option it changes. Now there's hardly any ADSL1 plans and no mention of off peak use (which is redundant now anyway). Also shaping is being introduced, one of the reasons I joined Exetel was because they didn't have shaping.

Also no mention of just what the off peak period is, I suppose mainly because it changes hour to hour.

We poor ADSL1 users suffer again, some of us can't get ADSL2 in spite of the governments brave new world.

Please Exetel decide on what plans you need to have and stick with them.

Col

Post by Col » Thu May 06, 2010 3:18 pm

I personally would much prefer a windback to 60GB or 80GB offpeak with either a 10 or 12 hour period. Even if you could just make 6 hours of unlimited an alternative option in the user facilities for those that find it useful (mostly heavy ADSL2+ users that should be pushed into a small quiet time period anyway). A move to 6 hours of offpeak would be disappointing, though I will just try to adapt. At 1500/256 in a smaller/busier offpeak I think I am drawing a bit of a short straw. I will stick with Exetel though because I do believe you are a good ISP and I like your transparency and your charity involvement.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 pm

dtn22 wrote:Coreyplover,

My plan is INC2DSLA, i had all the extra when i joined 10 months ago and all the extra was scraped on my 5th months while i'm still on my contract. After that incident i refused to upgrade my plan no matter how attractive it is. I dont know what you were saying when you said no contract were affected when Exetel scraped the extra .
You are correct, no Free SMS applied after it was removed.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 06, 2010 3:43 pm

ManUtdFans wrote:BUT, I am angry, so I will go to resturant A, because I am angry.
Prime example of irrational behaviour actually. You are "angry" when in actuality, you shouldn't be. Human nature I guess.
ManUtdFans wrote:Don't you see what is happening?
I see a whole lot of people getting worked up over...what? One of two things:
1. Instead of being able to download "ultra massive" quantities of stuff, they are now only able to download "large" quantities of stuff
2. Constant amendments to their service and conditions

I can understand the frustration. And I agree Exetel could have done things differently. But, take a breath and step back. Look at the service that you have and the service that you will have come September...It is a good, value-for-money service. Exetel constantly "innovate" and "modify" in an attempt to provide users with the best low priced service. Sometimes, this doesn't work and creates angst. However, most of the time it does work and users benefit. Hit and miss really, and while the last week / month may have been a "miss" just look back at all the "hits" you've benefited from in the past (massively high quotas that are constantly increased even while you are in contract, shaping *options* (few other ISPs provided the *option* to shape), free benefits (that have since been removed, sure, but you did derive benefits from them), Email-to-SMS/Fax/etc and vice versa, ultra cheap wireless that competitors are only now starting to match, etc).

All I'm saying is, try to be reasonable, empathetic and recognise that there are many, many more important things in life than how much you can download on an internet connection.