Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
rocknrolla007

Re: Off-Peak time reduction-This is a joke

Post by rocknrolla007 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Did I I misread something or did Exetel just scrap the off peak time altogether?? So let me get this straight...They reduce off peak period from 12 hours to 6 hours, some of the customers complain, and they react by scrapping it altogether?? Is this a joke or are they really trying to take the piss this time??

I am not sure if Exetel is serious about their own business here because when other companies are giving 130GB at 50 bucks, Exetel is giving 60 GB at $50.. not even half..
Forget about getting a score of 85, this does not even qualify for a 50 Pass grade.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat May 08, 2010 7:57 pm

rocknrolla007 wrote:Did I I misread something or did Exetel just scrap the off peak time altogether??

I am not sure if Exetel is serious about their own business here because when other companies are giving 130GB at 50 bucks, Exetel is giving 60 GB at $50.. not even half..
Forget about getting a score of 85, this does not even qualify for a 50 Pass grade.
The new plans have no off-peak but unlimited 512kbps shaped. This brings it up to a theoretical download quota of 158GB on top of the paid unshaped quota. though if you want to be more pragmatic, perhaps xGB download quota for the first portion of the month, then another, say, 60-100GB shaped extra should you require it. And all of this is accessible at any hour of the day (not just in 2am-8am like other providers). In my opinion, this is a much more beneficial plan for the majority of users.
Edit: From the members facilities:
Shaping will allow you to download up to 50% of your peak allowance after which your plan will automatically revert to charged at 50 cents per gigabyte downloaded in the peak period with no option to change back to shaped.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

lloong

Post by lloong » Sun May 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi James, There is no section 9 here: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun May 09, 2010 9:10 pm

lloong wrote:Hi James, There is no section 9 here: http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.php
Read from http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 21#p275421 forward a handful of posts. James's post was made prior to the new plans which replace off-peak with unlimited shaping any time of day.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

bathuu

Post by bathuu » Sun May 09, 2010 11:06 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:The new plans have no off-peak but unlimited 512kbps shaped. This brings it up to a theoretical download quota of 158GB on top of the paid unshaped quota.
So are you saying there's no peak or off peak period now? Just confirming that once this paid unshaped data ran out, connection speed will drop to 512kb? / :shock: if it is true, it is getting far worse/
Let is say you get 10GB Naked ADSL2 data for $45 a month. Since there is no daily divided period, it is very obvious that you will eventually run out of this paid data first, probably by middle of the month because of the day or night browsing /:!: yes just BROWSING, don't even think about downloading something/, and REST of the month you have to struggle with 512kb speed and limitless HUGE bandwidth. /what a generous give away, huh :lol:/

Am I getting this correctly? It basically seems like buying ONLY 10GB monthly data for $45. What an AWESOME deal. :arrow: But wait this is an ADSL2 not a wireless service. Something not right. :?:

When will this new no off peak period plan be effective? Will it affect to old contracted or non contracted customers. Because, in my user panel I am still seeing that 10GB paid data is assigned for peak period.
Last edited by bathuu on Mon May 10, 2010 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 09, 2010 11:19 pm

The new plans and details, for new users, are on the website. Note that there is an alternative to shaping at 512 which is quite usable for browsing. 10 gigs/month, BTW is an awful lot of just browsing.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun May 09, 2010 11:25 pm

bathuu wrote:When will this new no off peak period plan be effective? Will it affect to old contracted or non contracted customers. Because, in my user panel I am still seeing that 10GB paid data is assigned for peak period.
Purely a new plan. If you prefer your current peak / off-peak plan, you can stay on that one

Plus, you have the pricing wrong I think.
$40 per month for 10GB (not $45) would suit low usage customers, who would probably aim to keep their download quotas below the 10GB
If you are a high usage customer, you would most likely wish to retain an existing Z/ plan, or choose one of these new plan and deliberately aim to exceed the cap and then continue downloading as much as you can at 512kbps. Effectively amounts to upwards of 100GB per month. But, as has been stated before, these new plans are more so to appeal to a different demographic, not GB-hungry uber-downloaders.
Edit: From the members facilities:
Shaping will allow you to download up to 50% of your peak allowance after which your plan will automatically revert to charged at 50 cents per gigabyte downloaded in the peak period with no option to change back to shaped.

stahmoy

Post by stahmoy » Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 pm

The online facilities lists $45 for the same $40 plan that is also available to new customers on the website. Why is there a price difference; is it because of the off-peak downloads that's still 'unlimited' for current customers who change to the $45 plan?

What then is the off-peak period, for the $45 plan available to current customers (10GB peak / unlimited off-peak)? It's very confusing because of all the recent changes. Is it 0200-1400, or 0200-0800, or other?

By the way, there's no need for Exetel to write "Unlimited = no limit" in the plan. I know what unlimited means! More useful to have the time period that you define as "off-peak".

Kamakiri

Post by Kamakiri » Fri May 14, 2010 11:35 pm

So for ADSL2 'OTD' plan (including line rental) is $85 a month for 90gig.

I'm going to stick with my current plan where I can still download off peak.

I actually really like the direction Exetel is heading though. There is nothing worst wanting to download something peak and you can't because you have to wait off peak. These plans would of really suited my usage needs but $85 is a bit expensive for me. If say it was $70 I would of really considered to change. Shame really.

PS Exetel the new plan pricing on your members page, new customer signup page is all different. For example you sign up as new customer and next to 'Line rental' it says 'included in plan price'. So I assume complete total for line rental and plan is $55.

If I choose to change in my members area it says $85 but still says line rental included in plan price. And the $30 is in both tables.

To be honest I'm still very confused. Is it $85 or $55 (complete month price including line rental a month)? I could be just a bit 'simple' or something but it appears confusing.

foziebear69

Post by foziebear69 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Im so angry at Exetel, I signed up 11 months ago, for nak2a plan, which was perfect for me $45 a month, 100 VoIP calls 30 faxes and 30 sms and 60 GB off peak data 12am-12noon
in the 11 months I have been on this plan EXETEL have done the following

Changed my off peak from 12-12 to 2am-12 Costing me 720 hours or 60 hours per month of download time
the loss of the below options costs me an EXTRA $5-7 PER MONTH

Removed my 100 free VoIP calls
Removed my 30 free sms
Removed my 30 free Faxes

and when i sent them a email to complain they sent one back saying if i didn't like it i was free to go to another provider

they say my plan is no longer available and that they are free to do this under my terms and conditions and that I have to change plans
OK so i went in the at the start of this month and i changed my plan to 10GB naked with unlimited off peak 12-12 and i pay for VoIP calls
I thought OK this is good for me with phone calls about the same as im paying now and i get an extra 4GB peak so I looked at it as a win for me
But not to be outdone EXETEL turns round and changes the plans again, before the new plan even takes effect

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS AT EXETEL DOING

I notice that they say theres no case for going to the TIO or ACCC, but if i gave some one a 12 month contract and varied the terms and conditions of that contract 4 times in the 12 months i would have my rear end sued off me.
Personally i dont want to go thru the hassle of changing providers,
but what i want is some bloody consistency, I want what i signed up for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn Foster aka foziebear

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Thu May 20, 2010 3:13 pm

AFAIK. Everything you mentioned was declared upfront in the T&C's before commitment to the contract.

foziebear69

Post by foziebear69 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Where in my contract does it say " you can take all my services away and not compensate the customer"
If i sign a contract its binding on me to pay you for 12 months,
why isnt it binding on EXETEL to provide the same plan for 12 months

I understand the need to update plans from time to time, ive been on the net since the early 1990s and ive never seen a company change its plans and rules as often as exetel does, but ive also been with 4 companies that have gone under.

It does make one wonder what is going on and what the future holds for this company

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Read this: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... ls#p267490

Then read section 3 of T&C's. Opportunity/compensation is given to leave penalty free.

AUP use to state for donkey's that off-peak period could changed/removed at Exetel's discretion

As far as I am aware no one on contract has been forced to change plans until after expiry of the term. If they were then the above applied. I have been on the same plan TL-C1 since December and there had been several changes in offerings but I have never been forced off this plan.

I am sorry this is what you signed up for when you agreed to the T&C's,

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 pm

Free extras are exactly that: extras.
You plan stated, in the terms and conditions, that off-peak could be removed at *any* time.

In neither case is compensation applicable, and in both cases you were given adequate notice, and also given the ability to transfer without any termination fees being applicable.

A contract does not bind Exetel into providing an unchanged service for 12 months, but it does outline the conditions and procedures that need to be followed under certain circumstances. Variations to your contract are covered under clause 3.2(c):
If Exetel varies a Fixed-Term Agreement under clause 3.1 [and] if the variation relates to the characteristics of the Service (including price) and the Customer does not agree that the change is likely to benefit the Customer or have only a neutral or minor detrimental effect on the Customer, the Customer may , cancel the Service without incurring fees or changes other than Accrued Charges.
In summary, your contractual terms were upheld to their fullest extent.

WikiWill

Post by WikiWill » Mon May 24, 2010 1:47 pm

Dazzled wrote: ... 10 gigs/month, BTW is an awful lot of just browsing.
Incidental to the topic, but the above statement and my assumption re quota use caught my eye. In my household of three people (and two cats) I have to be careful about my 12 GB quota. I can average 6GB/month in my browsing without difficulty. Add in traffic from the other two people, OS updates, AV updates, iTunes, fridge, toaster, and cat door monitoring - I can get past 10GB without P2P or other high traffic apps.

Anyway, back on topic, I support Exetel's approach on off peak quota, free extras, and plans. This is a competitive business and I want my ISP to remain competitive, within the bounds of our service agreement, because it costs me a lot in my time to change ISP.