Change phone provider while on BYOline ADSL2 plan

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Pyotr

Change phone provider while on BYOline ADSL2 plan

Post by Pyotr » Fri May 07, 2010 9:10 am

Are there any complications if I want to move from Telstra to a cheaper phone provider while the telephone line continues to be used for an Exetel BYOline ADSL2 plan?

peteru

Re: Change phone provider while on BYOline ADSL2 plan

Post by peteru » Fri May 07, 2010 5:10 pm

I am on a BYO plan and have switched phone line providers a few months ago. It was a seamless process with no outages. I made sure that I confirmed with the new phone line provider that the change was only for billing and that it would not affect my existing ADSL2+ connection.

Pyotr

Post by Pyotr » Sat May 08, 2010 10:50 am

Thank you; would you mind advising which providers you changed from and to. I take it that you did not see any need to let Exetel know.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat May 08, 2010 11:13 am

Pyotr wrote:Thank you; would you mind advising which providers you changed from and to. I take it that you did not see any need to let Exetel know.
You need to let them know you have DSL on the line, as there is a chance it would be removed, and you would be up for a reconnection fee.

peteru

Post by peteru » Sat May 08, 2010 7:27 pm

I went from iiNet to Telstra (iiNet would not let me keep a phone line without an associated Internet service) and I made sure that I confirmed with Telstra that my line would not be moved from the existing port on a Powertel DSLAM. My local exchange doesn't have an Optus DSLAM since our street has cable, so there really isn't much choice. I did not advise Exetel of the change in the phone service provider, but I definitely made sure that Telstra knew that the switch must not affect my ability to use the ADSL2+ service.