Exetel Usage Block? (and other issues)

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
IronM@sk

Exetel Usage Block? (and other issues)

Post by IronM@sk » Sun May 30, 2010 3:45 am

FIRST ISSUE

So my power just went off a couple of hours ago and when it came back on I was greeted with the Exetel Usage Block page. This is rather mystifying as as far as I was aware my plan tells me that I should be only shaped.
The default setting for your ADSL plan is to allow you to be "shaped" to 512 kbps once you reach your peak period limited.

Shaping will allow you to download up to 50% of your peak allowance after which your plan will automatically revert to charged at 50 cents per gigabyte downloaded in the peak period with no option to change back to shaped.
Now since I recently changed over to the Z/21INCTEL plan from my old INCPHONE A I actually thought it was a flat .50c / gig if I went over my peak cap (minus the 50% over shaped period) but ok cool whatever. For this reason I have not been too concerned about exceeding my peak usage (more money for Exetel). That still begs the question as to why I can't access the net, being stuck at the block page, since I haven't reached that "50% over shaped" mark yet. What gives?

Now normally I would just tick the "I accept these charges" box and move on, HOWEVER... according to the block page I am supposed to agree to $6/GB excess charges! WTF!?!? I thought it was supposed to be .50c/GB!?
You can restore your internet access 'instantly' by 'clicking' as indicated below but any additional downloads in this calendar month will be charged at $6.00 per gigabyte or part thereof.
I'm sorry that wasn't what I agreed to when I moved over to the newer Z/21INCTEL plan. It quite clearly stated .50c/GB.

Below is the info from my "Your ADSL Account Plan Details" page.

Code: Select all

Plan Type:  	Z/21INCTEL
Monthly Access Charge: 	$65.00
Peak Download Limit (Mbyte): 	30000
Peak Period Option: 	12:00pm - 12:00am
Excess Downloads per Gbyte: 	N/A
OffPeak Download Limit (Mbyte): 	Unlimited
OffPeak Excess Downloads per Gbyte: 	N/A
Service Line Speed: 	ADSL2+
SECOND ISSUE

Total email confusion from Exetel. Seriously what the hell is up with the newsletter/emails from exetel?. They say one thing and then a few days later there is a retration then a few days later one that says something completely different? "We're changing the off-peak...", "W're not changing the off-peak...". Now I see other forum users posting complaining that you have changed the off-peak? How are we, as users, supposed to decipher what the hell is going on? This isn't a very professional way to run a business.

As far as I am concerned all I can do is stick to the text as displayed on my member facilities page and challenge based on that.

So, in summary: Why does the block page say $6/GB instead of the .50c/GB as per the contract I agreed to?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Exetel Usage Block? (and other issues)

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 30, 2010 8:29 am

Did you ever agree to shaping/excess in the past? If you did it carries forward, and needs to be cancelled for your current arrangement. Write to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to have it permanently cancelled.

IronM@sk

Post by IronM@sk » Sun May 30, 2010 10:23 am

Dazzled wrote:Did you ever agree to shaping/excess in the past? If you did it carries forward, and needs to be cancelled for your current arrangement. Write to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to have it permanently cancelled.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, or exactly how it applies to my problem that, all of a sudden I have seemingly at random been shown the block page and asked to agree to $6/gb excess instead of the .50c/GB as stated on my plan, regardless of what I agreed to on my old plan.

For the record though I believe I chose the "shaped" option on the old INCPHONE plan.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sun May 30, 2010 12:41 pm

IronM@sk wrote:For the record though I believe I chose the "shaped" option on the old INCPHONE plan.
For the old shaping with that plan, you would get a block when you reached your quota, allowing you 2GB 'buffer' and then you need to agree to the $6 per GB excess charge.

You need to email Exetel to get it removed, as it stays with your account, regardless of what plan(s) you change to. After it is removed, you will be on the new shaping/excess charge system.

IronM@sk

Post by IronM@sk » Sun May 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Klaas wrote:You need to email Exetel to get it removed, as it stays with your account, regardless of what plan(s) you change to. After it is removed, you will be on the new shaping/excess charge system.
That's absolutely laughable. So a grandfathered plan STILL carries its grandfathered shaping/excess system over to a new plan that DOESN'T EVEN OFFER that type of shaping AND you have to manually email a tech to change it? And why did it take 12GB to kick in rather than 2GB? This causes me to think that the old shaping/excess ISN'T in fact in effect and it is just an error on the Block Page where the $6/GB just hasn't been updated to reflect the new .50c/GB charge. Seriously how am I to even know what is going on until I actually hear from a tech in this forum?

So what am I supposed to say in the email? Screw it, i'll just log a support ticket and link to this thread and let them sort it out. I'm at a loss for words.

For the record, this is what it says in my plan summary...
The default setting for your ADSL plan is to allow you to be "shaped" to 512 kbps once you reach your peak period limited.

Your plan is set to "shaped" when you sign up for it. You can elect to change to not shaped/charged at 50 cents per gigabyte or part thereof in peak times at any time after your plan is activated

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 30, 2010 7:23 pm

The principle of shaping continuing into a new plan goes back a long way, which is why Klaas and I thought of it in this case. Users were advised at the beginning how to cancel it permanently, and I imagine most now have. I agree though that the newest plans make the old arrangement obsolete, and an automatic cancel would be good. One for the suggestion box.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon May 31, 2010 1:23 pm

IronM@sk wrote:That's absolutely laughable. So a grandfathered plan STILL carries its grandfathered shaping/excess system over to a new plan that DOESN'T EVEN OFFER that type of shaping AND you have to manually email a tech to change it?
It is not "laughable". I actually think it is "commendable".

Exetel's intention was / is to recognise that people who previously selected shaping did so for a reason, and that reason often does not change upon a plan change. So they allowed users to carry forward a shaping "overlay". The implementation on the other hand was slightly lacking, as they removed the ability for users to turn off shaping in their member facilities and this has led to a fair amount of confusion. But it is easily sorted with an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au that simply says "please remove my shaping overlay".

With regards to your second issue: it is not hard, at all, to "decipher" the emails. One email said that Exetel intended to change the off-peak to alleviate congestion issues. They then retracted that. Honestly, it is that simple and I suspect that you are exaggerating your confusion. I read almost every post to these forums and I have not read about users complaining that off-peak has changed (if you can point me to these posts, I will try to address them). What has changed is the plans on offer. These new plans replace peak/off-peak with an all-inclusive download quota and an unmetered period, but older plans like Z/, NF/, etc plans retain their 12-12 off-peak structure.

It is a case of "po-TAY-to" / "po-TAR-to" for you to say these sort of frequent amendments are "unprofessional". I personally find them refreshing because I see Exetel constantly innovating plans to deliver cost savings and choices to customers the moment they become available.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au