Change to plan OTA feedback

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
camh

Change to plan OTA feedback

Post by camh » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Exetel,

I'm writing this post to give you some feedback on my recent change to the OTA plan.

I selected the OTA plan a few days before the end of the month. The change plan page mentioned two things of note:
  • The off-peak time would be 2am-8am
  • Once the plan was active, I would be able to choose to select a pay for excess option instead of shaping
Now that the change of plan has occurred, I note that the user facilities say my off-peak period is 12am-12pm. Is this right? I don't really care what the length of the off-peak period is - I don't download that much - but I do want to know what my off-peak period is. Please work on your facilities to get little things like this consistent. If you say something, that should be what is applied. I want to know what I'm getting.

A more major problem is that now I am on the OTA plan, I see that I can change to a charged excess option, but that will not be active until next month. It would have been nice to know this before I changed plan. To understand my feeling on this, understand that I never ever ever ever ever want to be shaped. I want to pay excess charges, just like I do for my water, gas, electricity, and so on. It would be nice to have a flag against my user account that says "I never ever ever ever want to be shaped". Exetel used to be the place where shaping was the outcast, if present at all. Now I'm forced onto shaping on the new plans for at least a month, maybe more... see my next point.

The worst problem is that I selected the option for "Charge $0.50/GB thereafter" in the user facilities to get rid of shaping, and the response was:

Code: Select all

Service Number  	Request Date			Request Status  	Access Charge After Included Peak Download
MY NUMBER 			2010-06-01 10:58:46 	PENDING 			Shaped to 512kbps
So, even though I selected "Charge $0.50/GB thereafter", I've been given "Shaped to 512kbps".

If I try to fix this, I get the error "Only One Change Request Can be made Per Plan.".

From that, it seems to be telling me that I have selected to change from shaping to shaping, and that no further change will be allowed for the life of the plan. I've opened a ticket for this (2812981), but is so annoying to have to go through this rigamarole.

Automated processes are great when properly implemented. When not, it's such a pain in the neck.

My apologies if I have caused offense from this feedback. I mean none. But this change plan process has frustrated me, and I believe that these points can be addressed to provide a better service.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Change to plan OTA feedback

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm very sure the 12-12 is just a typo. 2am-8am is the time period heavily noted on the plan sign up pages and these forums and no doubt it will be corrected in your user facilities shortly.

The change-over from shaped to excess usage has been noted in other threads too (see http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36305 for instance). Unfortunately no updates have been provided to date.

Lastly I suspect the status page is saying you have a "pending" change, and that your *current* setting is shaped. When the change gets processed the pending will be removed and the status will change to "excess usage charges"
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Same for me. I changed to OTB.

I don't get the "Pending" though just the "One change per month" notice.

I made the initial section for shaping months ago but no dice.

Can Exetel look at this Please? Seems broken.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Same for me - I'd love to be able to get it changed this month so I pay the excess charge of 50c/Gb for excess downloads - I would prefer not to be shaped
THis thread also covers this issue - http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p277160

LHVWB

Post by LHVWB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:30 pm

I have exactly the same issue. I'm on the OTA plan. I chose to change to the excess charge option, but that page says that I requested "Shaped to 512kbps" (straight after I submited the request and from then on)... I made a ticket about that a few days ago. It seems highly likely that there is a bug with the members area, from looking at the source code, it could be relying on javascript to work properly (or otherwise it will always default to shaped even if you select the excess charge option). I was using Opera 10, which has given me javascript issues in the past, so that could be the problem... (the members area shouldn't rely on javascript for such important changes though)

I'm also annoyed that the page suggests I'll have to wait until next month to change to paying for excess downloads, as I will go over my 10GB limit, and probably go over the 15GB shaped limit as well (meaning that my internet will be cut). There was no previous indication that a wait would be required, otherwise I might have chosen the 30GB plan. (I only chose the 10GB plan because I don't make it to 30GB most months, and the 10GB plan is the same price if I get to 30GB anyway)

So, I am a bit worried that exetel will cut my internet towards the end of the month...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

greesha

Post by greesha » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:28 pm

I have noted to exetel that the web form for selecting 50c or shaping has a bug where both the name and value fields for both options are the same. So the effect is no matter what you select it will look to exetel like you selected shaping. They advised in live chat that it is with the devs. I have also asked them to remove the pending shaping request.

my facilities now show that off peak is 2am to 8am not 12 -12 so that is now correct.

I am also concerned that I will get shaped this month and bust through the 15GB shaping limit. The exetel person advised that I was still on 50c excess when they looked at my account but now that the offpeak has been changed to 2-8 i wonder if my excess setting has been updated to shaping as well.

Anyhow I still have an open ticket so it should be resolved this week.

greesha

Post by greesha » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I have gone over my 10GB peak limit and have not been shaped. I am going to assume I am getting charged 50c/GB so that is excellent.

LHVWB

Post by LHVWB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:46 pm

[quote="greesha"]Just wanted to let you know that I have gone over my 10GB peak limit and have not been shaped. I am going to assume I am getting charged 50c/GB so that is excellent.[/quote]

I am hoping the same thing will happen for me, although I haven't got any updates on my ticket yet.

My offpeak period is shown as "2:00 am to 8:00 am" (as opposed to the old times), although there are still issues, the members area always says "Downloads are currently being metered as offpeak usage." as far as I can see. Seems that there are unresolved issues with the members area.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?