Signal loss too high for ADSL1

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
DJG

Signal loss too high for ADSL1

Post by DJG » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:45 pm

When i moved to this house about 2 years ago I thought ADSL would be no problem because I am 2km from the Albion Park (NSW) exchange straight down the highway. I applied through Exetel and was rejected (by Telstra presumably) due to line loss too high. At the time I complained direct to Telstra that if line loss is too high at 2km there is obviously something wrong with the line. Their response was that the voice service works and that is all they are required to provide.

I now use an Exetel HSPA service which is ok but very expensive if you exceed the 5GB limit of the plan I'm on. I am becoming increasingly frustrated and just wondering if a complaint to the TIO would be worth considering. I am still of the opinion that if ADSL1 does not work at 2km from the exchange there must be a line problem which should be fixed.

Any thoughts?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Signal loss too high for ADSL1

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:36 am

The government's former Telecom Australia operation, and its private successor, Telstra, have always regarded the internet as an add-on to the phone service, provided the line is suitable. From their viewpoint the voice service is what counts, and neither has had legislated household internet obligations. If your line is in unsuitable condition, and many country and recently country lines are, it's grin and bear it time, the TIO cannot help you. You could ask Telstra directly to fix the line, but one wholesale account in a low density area isn't much incentive. Very expensive Telstra Bigpond ADSL2 is available from Albion Park exchange - that might persuade them.

Many areas around Wollongong would have broadband by now under the scheme that the present government revoked on taking office. Canberra now promises the NBN, but there's a lot of fairyland about it. It won't be cheap either.
Last edited by Dazzled on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:36 am

DJG wrote:When i moved to this house about 2 years ago I thought ADSL would be no problem because I am 2km from the Albion Park (NSW) exchange straight down the highway. I applied through Exetel and was rejected (by Telstra presumably) due to line loss too high. At the time I complained direct to Telstra that if line loss is too high at 2km there is obviously something wrong with the line. Their response was that the voice service works and that is all they are required to provide.

I now use an Exetel HSPA service which is ok but very expensive if you exceed the 5GB limit of the plan I'm on. I am becoming increasingly frustrated and just wondering if a complaint to the TIO would be worth considering. I am still of the opinion that if ADSL1 does not work at 2km from the exchange there must be a line problem which should be fixed.

Any thoughts?
The cable may not run straight from the exchange to your house - it might loop around a bit, and the actual cable length be a lot longer than the 2km. Then there is the possibility that the cabling is old, damaged, badly repaired etc, causing degradation and poor signalling.

Telstra are quite right when they say that if the voice service is working, they don't have to do anything.

You could try reporting a noisy line fault to Telstra, that might get them to check the line out.

Tim K

Post by Tim K » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm not sure going to the TIO will achieve much in this case. The line may be longer than you had originally thought, plus degradation over time doesn't help either.

It is unlikely, but it may also be possible that a Network Improvement has been submitted to improve the line if line degradation is an explanation. I can't confirm this as there is not a DSL service on the line so I can't really find out. The problem with these is that they can take some time to get resolved.