So slooooow!!!?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
mxw

So slooooow!!!?

Post by mxw » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:18 am

Dammit this is an ongoing problem with Exetel! Everytime I post here, a "button" gets pushed somewhere and I'm flying again for a few days, but then gradually slows up to outrageous speeds. Could someone in Exetel please push that buton again, and keep their damn finger on it? I'm getting real pissed off.

I've just upgraded (at Exetel's insistence) to the Z/23NOTEL (90GB/unlimited) plan - incurring a $10 "changeover fee" - so I want what I'm paying for! PLEASE!
Attachments
speeds.GIF
speeds.GIF (9.02 KiB) Viewed 1778 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: So slooooow!!!?

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:28 pm

If you post the modem line status - speeds, noise margins, and attenuation, it would be easier to comment. A better download speed test is http://speedtest.net/.
PS I just noticed JasonM's post the last time this happened - the line is only 1 km in length - what was the fix on that occasion?

mxw

Post by mxw » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Hmm is there severe throttling between 12am and 12pm? It's a bit faster this afternoon - but still NOWHERE near what I should be getting.

Dazzled, last time I didn't do anything - speeds picked up after I posted, but then (as I said) slowly deteriorated. I'm sure Exetel are doing something!

All isolation tests etc have been done, the only thing I haven't done is swap modems (I'm simply unable!). But then, why does my modem perform fine on occasion? I don't think it's the modem.
Attachments
stats.JPG
stats.JPG (32.62 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:46 pm

I don't think anyone is throttling you, but there might be local congestion. Post-midnight is a popular time for heavy downloads to start - what sort of demographic do you have? - more than your share of teens or soccer followers?

Have you looked at a ping or mtr result? You can also get a ping and jitter result from the link on the speedtest site. Dynalink modems aren't bad as a rule, but you could check the status from time to time, on the off-chance the line varies significantly at different times.

Have a peek at the modem status error rate too, and the error logs, in case something stands out there.

mxw

Post by mxw » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks Dazzled for your patience, I appreciate it.

Let me look into it a bit.

tlai

Post by tlai » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:17 am

Just then when i hit 12... my speed dropped down to 150kb :(.... 15mins later speeds are back over 1mb/sec strange. And another 10min later Your download speed is 301 KB/s (0.29 MB/s). so its a bit spiky.

mxw

Post by mxw » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 am

Yeah strange is the word. I have been plagued with crappy near-dialup speeds lately, but now, 2am, it's better.
Not great, but better. See? Post here and Exetel push a button!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:50 pm

tlai wrote:Just then when i hit 12... my speed dropped down to 150kb :(.... 15mins later speeds are back over 1mb/sec strange.
This is completely normal. At 12 midnight, everyone's queued downloads kick in because it is off-peak. Many of them finish very quickly and so speeds then increase again.
mxw wrote:It's a bit faster this afternoon - but still NOWHERE near what I should be getting.
The 2 speed tests you've posted indicate 2.95Mbps and 3.53Mbps on a 4.1Mbps sync. I can't see any issues in those figures. At 37dB line attenuation, you should probably get a higher sync. You state that you are unable to swap modems but an underperforming modem might be a strong candidate from the information you have provided.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mxw

Post by mxw » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:21 am

Hi, I'm back! At the turn of this month, things have slowed up again!? Why the sudden drop in speeds right at the turn of the month?

Could someone please check it out for me?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:05 pm

You'll need to post more details I think. For instance, modem sync stats, speed tests and an indication of what speeds you were previously getting. You should probably also realise that these forums are not the best place for lodging slow speed faults. You may wish to log a formal support ticket (see sig)

The last set of posts you made indicated that your speeds were being impaired after midnight. Has this changed? Are your speeds impaired at all times?
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mxw

Post by mxw » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Sorry, CoreyPlover. Yes it's continual sloooowness (since turn of this month?). Can't even run a speedtest! (Can barely post this lol!)
stats.JPG
stats.JPG (106.4 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
The thing is, I don't understand these modem stats, so if (after looking at them) you tell me to log a ticket, I will do so. Might not even be Exetel's fault here (?).
(PS: Speeds prior to this were what I call "normal" - not lightning, but reasonable I guess)...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 pm

The speed is lowish for the attenuation, but oddly, the upstream attenuation (on the low frequency bins) is greater than the downstream (high frequencies). This problem looks to be different from your post-midnight problem, so I suggest that you log the ticket so the matter can be looked at - see Corey's post. Include the line stats in your email or report.

BTW, ADSL1 is slower!
Last edited by Dazzled on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mxw

Post by mxw » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 pm

No it's not just after midnight, it's continual. Yep OK I'll report it.

Meanwhile I managed a speedtest --
speeds.JPG
speeds.JPG (20.74 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

mxw

Post by mxw » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Well! I just submitted a ticket, and within MINUTES my modem rebooted by ITSELF, and when I went back online everything's running OK (touch wood???)....!?

So I'm still in the dark, but I'm suspecting someone on Exetel's end got my ticket immediately and fixed my problem!?

If so, may I please say THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

If I don't post back here, it means I'm happy again! :)

mxw

Post by mxw » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:50 pm

OK well I'm back (spoke too soon), and I'm sad : (

Speeds still slow. I will await a response from my support ticket, and post back results. I hope I can get it sorted. At the moment I am on bloody sub-dial-up speeds lol...