So slooooow!!!?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
JasonM

Re: So slooooow!!!?

Post by JasonM » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:14 am

The tests done last night (with your modem) gave poor line results.
The test this morning (assuming it was isolated - it's not active now, so it seems to be), show a normal result.

This suggests the modem, socket or cable are throwing out the test results and could be contributing. It could be an intermittent line issue too - more tests needed.

Support have emailed you asking to do speed tests, but that won't help much (aside from getting data showing the speeds you receive).

What needs to happen is the cable and modem to be ruled out based on the line tests, then if the line test with equipment showed bad results (with perhaps a borrowed modem from a friend or neighbour), the issue could be the socket - something you aren't able to fix.

mxw

Post by mxw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks! Yes when I came home from work and reconnected, my speeds are great now!

So what do I need to do exactly? If my speeds slow up to a crawl again, I should borrow a modem and see if that changes things? Also try changing the cable that goes from my socket to my modem?

If I do that, and speeds are still slow, that would leave the socket or the line as the problem, yes?

BTW Exetel Support staff (Nishadi) has been great, and SUPER-QUICK with replies (within MINUTES)! Thank you so much for the excellent service, I'm very impressed!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 pm

mxw wrote:So what do I need to do exactly? If my speeds slow up to a crawl again, I should borrow a modem and see if that changes things? Also try changing the cable that goes from my socket to my modem?
The first test you do should be an isolation test, where you keep your current modem plugged in, but unplug all other phones and filters from their sockets. This removes the possibility of faulty filters / interference.

Another good test is a modem reboot, power cycle, or long power cycle (turn off, leave off for 20 minutes, turn back on).

Failing that, borrowing a modem is a great final diagnostic to run, as it means you will have ruled out all local interference and equipment failure. This then means you can log a line fault confident that you have done all you can to rule out an issue at your end.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mxw

Post by mxw » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:17 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
mxw wrote:So what do I need to do exactly? If my speeds slow up to a crawl again, I should borrow a modem and see if that changes things? Also try changing the cable that goes from my socket to my modem?
The first test you do should be an isolation test, where you keep your current modem plugged in, but unplug all other phones and filters from their sockets. This removes the possibility of faulty filters / interference.

Another good test is a modem reboot, power cycle, or long power cycle (turn off, leave off for 20 minutes, turn back on).

Failing that, borrowing a modem is a great final diagnostic to run, as it means you will have ruled out all local interference and equipment failure. This then means you can log a line fault confident that you have done all you can to rule out an issue at your end.
Isolation test = DONE. (There is nothing else plugged in anyway!)
Modem reboot/long power cycle = DONE.

My speeds dropped back to a crawl an hour ago, but right now they are OK again!? So, the ball is in my court and I will try to beg/borrow/steal a modem. I will report back!

Exetel has been very helpful, I must add! Both forum & support staff! (On Whirlpool forums, Exetel aren't reknown for their technical support, but I must beg to differ! I have been helped along extremely quickly and professionally. Thanks to all!)

mxw

Post by mxw » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:54 pm

I thought I'd drop by just to post an update. My speeds have been fine since my last post (no fluctuations - quite steady). So, can it really be my modem that's been at fault? Or is it something Exetel's end that has been tweaked?

Tell me please, are my speeds OK? Yes I am happy with my internet speed right now but am always looking to max it (why wouldn't I be?). :wink: (I mean, does ANYONE really download at 18MBps and upload at 1MBps???)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Average ADSL2+ speeds are actually about 8Mbps, but speeds around 4Mbps are not too uncommon either for services that are a far distance away from the exchange.

Your line stats show that your sync fluctuates between 2.5Mbps and 4Mbps. I reckon the low values here (a 38 dB attenuation should mean more like a 6Mbps sync and the upstream attenuation should not be as high as 44dB), the amount of variation, and Jason's post back on August 12, points to an issue of some sort. You should follow up on the suggestion to borrow a replacement modem and retest the speeds and sync to see if things improve. If they don't, you can follow up your ticket with a request for further line tests.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

mxw

Post by mxw » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:24 pm

OK so what you are basically saying is that I'm waaay below the average (but still in "legal" ADSL2+ range)? (I'm only 50 meters away from the exchange lol!).

OK, I will get another modem. I will definitely report back, I'd like to keep this thread active in case it helps somebody else.

(Just so hard finding another modem lol! But I will do it)...

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 am

mxw wrote:OK so what you are basically saying is that I'm waaay below the average (but still in "legal" ADSL2+ range)? (I'm only 50 meters away from the exchange lol!).
I don't think you are only 50m from the exchange as your attenuation is too high for this to be the case. You're not misinterpretting the "<50 mi" are you? Because this is "miles", not metres. Speedtest.net is a global speed test that measures pings and speeds to global servers and hence uses very rough geolocation to measure "distance".

Although it often drastically overstates speed estimates, www.adsl2exchanges.com.au can be used to get your cable length. Do an Advanced Search using your address and it will return a cable length estimate (which can often be wrong, but it can be useful for a ballpark figure to gauge your line speeds against)
mxw wrote:OK, I will get another modem. (Just so hard finding another modem lol! But I will do it)...
If it is not feasible, reply to the ticket to say so and Exetel may still be able to look into your issue further. At worst, you can have a technician visit but be aware that if you haven't ruled out your equipment and the technician comes out to test the line and finds no fault then you will be liable for an "incorrect call out fee" ($160, I think). This is why Exetel ask you to rule out your modem before proceeding further

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:10 am

yeah i would almost put money on the modem, i found with my old netcomm that the net would slow down and i would have to do a power cycle and it would be fine for another 2 days. once i got another modem it was always fast.