TW ADSL2 upgrade failed

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
bigshow

TW ADSL2 upgrade failed

Post by bigshow » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Recieved the message, "Your ADSL speed upgrade is failed due to incompatible speed technical issue."

I assume because I'm on a RIM? Is this a policy decision by Exetel?

ryanb

Re: TW ADSL2 upgrade failed

Post by ryanb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:35 pm

I got the exact same message. Then in my user facitlities it says "You don't have any Powertel ADSL2 Service changing plan status.". This is despite the fact I am definitely trying to change to the TE-2E which is provided by Telstra. So what do I do now?

Loewie

Post by Loewie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Same here. Even though adsl2exchanges says ADSL2 is active and available at my exchange. Could it be the distance from the exchange (4.5 km in my case)?

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Loewie wrote:Same here. Even though adsl2exchanges says ADSL2 is active and available at my exchange. Could it be the distance from the exchange (4.5 km in my case)?
I'm 2.1km away.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 pm

loewie, 4.5 km is approaching the practical limit for standard phone cable, measured along the run of cable. ADSL2+ uses high frequencies, and is very sensitive to noise and attenuation. If you are in a country area, you may have further ADSL2 line hindrances present. There's no point in it if it isn't any quicker. If staff drop into this thread they may have a detailed report. Do you know what your ADSL1 downstream attenuation is?

Loewie

Post by Loewie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks, Dazzled.

My ADSL1 downstream attenuation is 46.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:54 pm

You're probably a bit closer than you think. The attenuation's not exciting, but not the obvious cause for rejection. ADSL2 uses higher analogue frequencies. If you can't get 1500+ kbps there's no point.

Loewie

Post by Loewie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:32 pm

It would be good to know whether the email saying

"Your ADSL speed upgrade is failed due to incompatible speed technical issue."

means you can't get ADSL2, end of story, or whether this is a problem that can be solved.

bigshow

Post by bigshow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:31 pm

If the ADSL 2 upgrade fails why don't customers by default get a full speed ADSL 1 profile to whatever their line is capable of?

I'm interested in more upstream and paying $20 extra a month to go from 256kbit to 384kbit isn't particularly appealing.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:57 pm

bigshow wrote:If the ADSL 2 upgrade fails why don't customers by default get a full speed ADSL 1 profile to whatever their line is capable of?

I'm interested in more upstream and paying $20 extra a month to go from 256kbit to 384kbit isn't particularly appealing.
If you are asking why can't users get a full speed G.DMT connection, then the answer is "because carriers chose to limit the upstream to 384kbps". Rejection of an ADSL2+ application doesn't change this position.

If you can't get ADSL2+, you have to decide on your current (possibly 1.5Mbps?) plan, or upgrade to an 8Mbps plan and pay the extra per month. Exetel can't give you something for nothing just because you've been rejected for Telstra ADSL2+.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

bigshow

Post by bigshow » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks Corey, not at all asking for something for nothing, I'm trying to pay $20 extra per month to get something like 1024kbit upstream but obviously it's nothing to do with Exetel. Exetel can't sell it if the carrier doesn't offer it.

Interestingly I had a cold call from Telstra last night on my MyNetFone DID (how did they find that number?) offering to, "Welcome me back to Telstra" blah blah with the "Rolls Royce" of internet connections ADSL 2. I guess the point I'm making is if you're on a RIM and it's not ADSL 2 enabled, Bigpond will still sell, and charge you for ADSL 2 but it will only run at ADSL 1 maximum - I know, I've had it before. The anomoly is if you're on a non ADSL 2 RIM, you can only get the full upstream of ADSL 1 by buying ADSL 2 from Bigpond!