Internet connection down in Charlestown NSW

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Lithium

Re: Internet connection down in Charlestown NSW

Post by Lithium » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Yep I'm on and off.

Got back on to WoW. Back to broken again now. :(

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm on iiNet / AAPT infrastructure in Melbourne and getting same symptoms, probably because AAPT services terminate in the POP in Syndey.

Best to leave it for at least an hour or two and refer to the thread posted above: viewtopic.php?f=296&t=36778
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

u9026a

Post by u9026a » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02 pm

How come I can still get Youtube and Google, and still use Gmail, both o/s Aus?

Hippo240

Post by Hippo240 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Same symptoms in Ferny Hills QLD

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:16 pm

u9026a wrote:How come I can still get Youtube and Google, and still use Gmail, both o/s Aus?
Akamai cached I think. Or more accurately, Akamai / Google content might be re-routed through Verizon, not Optus
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Hippo240

Post by Hippo240 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Is there an ETA on resolution of this issue?

Hippo240

Post by Hippo240 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Is there any chance this has anything to do with the weirdness showing on the QLD Optus graph -> https://www.exetel.com.au/members/a_mrt ... _optus.php ?

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Is there any chance someone can update the Network Status page?

Normally this is where I first look, but it is rarely, or never updated to even be used as a primary source of maintenance/downtime information.

Shouldn't updating this be one of the first steps the engineers take once a fault has been identified?
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

Hippo240

Post by Hippo240 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Issue seems to be resolved

kallus

Post by kallus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:57 pm

Does anyone know waht the exact problem was? That link to another post isn't working.

Unlike others when I had the problem I couldn't get to youtube or google or anywhere. At 8pm I was able to get to the exetel site and forum for about 2 minutes but not webmail or anywhere else. Sometimes the exetel gateway IP would ping but others it wouldn't and was same for the .3 DNS server (the .4 never worked the whole time) so would like to know if it was only a problem with the optus link causing that or if it was some other issue ontop of it.

kallus

Post by kallus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:20 pm

Hmm hope the problem isn't starting to happen again.

Wow ping around 1k, got kicked off server and wont let me back in, local vent server went to 300ms ping and websites take ages to load, could not log into forum or webmail then lost my ppp connection but still had line sync.

Back up and running now so hope it was just a little hickup.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 pm

kallus wrote:Does anyone know waht the exact problem was? That link to another post isn't working.
When issues get fixed, the maintenance thread is, eventually, removed. I might lodge a suggestion that they get moved to the Archives rather than deleted to avoid this in the future.
kallus wrote:Unlike others when I had the problem I couldn't get to youtube or google or anywhere. At 8pm I was able to get to the exetel site and forum for about 2 minutes but not webmail or anywhere else. Sometimes the exetel gateway IP would ping but others it wouldn't and was same for the .3 DNS server (the .4 never worked the whole time) so would like to know if it was only a problem with the optus link causing that or if it was some other issue ontop of it.
Sounds like it was an additional issue on top of the issues with the Optus link. From memory, the previous connectivity issue was fully resolved by about 9:30pm