Moving house and change plan advice ADSL-ADSL2

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
knight76

Moving house and change plan advice ADSL-ADSL2

Post by knight76 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi all.

I am moving house in the next few weeks and want to move my Exetel service to the new house. I have investigated the member services change plan option and would love to change to ADSL2 in the new house.

Now, am I better off transferring my plan as it is (ADSL1) to the new exchange and then trying to go to ADSL2?

Or should I transfer to ADSL2 at this address and then transfer that to the new address?

I am concerned that there may be an issue transferring the connection if I am changing from ADSL to ADSL2. I have done a service availability search using numbers from the white pages from that exchange and have had conflicting results from several numbers. Some say ADSL2 is available, others say it is not available because there are no ports. All said ADSL1 was available.

As moving a plan is basically disconnecting one service and reconnecting another I do not want to move it, cancel here and find out I have no ports there for ADSL2.

I do not really want to completely set up another internet connection at the new house with a whole new phone number (essentially having two connections going at the same time), instead I am looking at transferring my connection from this phone number to the phone number at the new location.

Another option. can I transfer the line from this house to the next house with Exetel? I am with Telstra for line rental now, but could change that to Exetel with internet?

Thanks for any advice.
Jason.

Just for an FYI, We are moving to the Buff Point exchange.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Moving house and change plan advice ADSL-ADSL2

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 pm

knight76 wrote:Now, am I better off transferring my plan as it is (ADSL1) to the new exchange and then trying to go to ADSL2?
Or should I transfer to ADSL2 at this address and then transfer that to the new address?
You can transfer to ADSL2 while relocating. That would clearly be your best option. Otherwise you'd be breaking your contract, either on the relocation after starting a new ADSL2+ service, or on the upgrade to ADSL2+ at the new location after starting a new ADSL1 service.
knight76 wrote:As moving a plan is basically disconnecting one service and reconnecting another I do not want to move it, cancel here and find out I have no ports there for ADSL2.
If that is the case, the entire relocation process ceases and you continue to have ADSL1 at your current location. You can then fall back to submitting a relocation to a different ADSL2+ carrier (there are three to choose from, see below) or ADSL1 at the new location.
knight76 wrote:Another option. can I transfer the line from this house to the next house with Exetel? I am with Telstra for line rental now, but could change that to Exetel with internet?
You can pick whatever current ADSL2+ plan you like at the new location as part of the relocation. You should, however, activate a Telstra line at the new premises as Exetel can not provision new lines unless you are currently on a bundled or naked ADSL2+ plan (which you are not as you are currently on ADSL1).

So, after provisioning a Telstra line at the new premises you can either:
* relocate and nominate a bundled plans (OT plans). These use Optus infrastructure and will "steal" the Telstra line and then provision ADSL2+ on top. You can then phone Telstra afterwards and ensure you don't receive any further Telstra bills
* relocate and nominate an unbundled plans (AA plans). These use AAPT infrastructure. These keep the activate Telstra line unchanged
* relocate and nominate a Telstra ADSL2+ service (TE-2D or TE-2E). These use Telstra infrastructure and, naturally, keep the Telstra line unchanged

So there are enough different carriers to choose from that I reckon you'll be able to get an ADSL2+ port.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

knight76

Post by knight76 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had my eye on the AAB plan that would mean staying with Telstra I guess. But If I choose the OTB plan (with telephone) does that mean the line rental is included in that pricing as it is through Optus?

The only other option to think about is getting naked. So would not need to set up a new line at the new house at all.

So to get the fastest transfer from one house to the next I pretty much just select a date to end the service here, and the very next day to start activating the service there.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:34 pm

knight76 wrote:I had my eye on the AAB plan that would mean staying with Telstra I guess.
Or there are the TE-2D and TE-2E plans
knight76 wrote:But If I choose the OTB plan (with telephone) does that mean the line rental is included in that pricing as it is through Optus?
Correct. The plan page should detail both the ADSL + phone components but they are billed together as one
knight76 wrote:The only other option to think about is getting naked. So would not need to set up a new line at the new house at all.
No. You still need to activate a line. Exetel can't provision ADSL (even Naked ADSL2+) on inactive lines. So you activate the line with Telstra, apply for Naked ADSL2+, then Exetel takes over the line as if it was a bundled plan, and two days or so after provisioning ADSL2+, the dial tone gets removed leaving you with a Naked service
knight76 wrote:So to get the fastest transfer from one house to the next I pretty much just select a date to end the service here, and the very next day to start activating the service there.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36486&p=280408#p280408 explains it well:
JasonM wrote:If you are moving and already have a new phone number, start the proceedings 'right away', and specify the cancellation of the current service to be whenever you last expect to use that, the date you cancel can be after the start of the new service.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

knight76

Post by knight76 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Ok so I have called Telstra today and the line is being connected Monday from 8-12pm!

So can I put in the Move Service request and select Tuesday for the time to commence at the new address and say, Tuesday of the week after for the service to end at the current address? That is the understanding I get from the thread you directed me to.

With the two services going at the same time, how does that work from a billing perspective?

With those plans being on AAPT infrastructure how do I know if they have infrastructure at the buff point exchange?

Cheers again.
Jason.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 pm

knight76 wrote:So can I put in the Move Service request and select Tuesday for the time to commence at the new address and say, Tuesday of the week after for the service to end at the current address? That is the understanding I get from the thread you directed me to.
Sounds right, just be aware that Telstra's records sometimes take 1-2 days to update so it might be be best to wait until, say, Tuesday, after the line has been actually installed before applying, and then nominate the time of commencement as soon as possible.
knight76 wrote:With the two services going at the same time, how does that work from a billing perspective?
Not sure. Email billing@exetel.com.au if you want to confirm, but it is probably best to think of the whole thing as a new provisioning and a cancellation, just that they are linked in that the second will only happen if the first is successful.
knight76 wrote:With those plans being on AAPT infrastructure how do I know if they have infrastructure at the buff point exchange?
You can use a neighbour's phone number on Exetel availability checker at http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_no_phone.pl, or perhaps try http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au (http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewex ... =BUPTseems to indicate Telstra ADSL2+ only)

knight76

Post by knight76 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:21 am

Cheers again for the help.

I do have my new number, and have searched that, along with another number from that exchange area and it states:

"Sorry, your ADSL2 order cannot proceed at this moment as the number you entered is not recognized as being connected to an ADSL enabled Powertel exchange."

So I assume that means no ADSL2+ with Exetel unless I select the TE-2d pr TE-2E plans.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:59 pm

knight76 wrote:So I assume that means no ADSL2+ with Exetel unless I select the TE-2d pr TE-2E plans.
I'd say that's correct. Matches the Telstra only ADSL2exchanges.com.au information.