Speeds worse since moving to telstra ADSL2

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
scottb721

Re: Speeds worse since moving to telstra ADSL2

Post by scottb721 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Probably if he never had the net but to upgrade to ADSL2 and get a slower connection shouldn't be deemed acceptable.
Was the intent of the change to improve on the connection he already had ? He would have actually paid for a downgrade otherwise.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 pm

CordlezToaster wrote:That makes sense.

What are my chances of going back to my old granfathered plan?
in my experience if you can't get full speed on an 8000/384 connection then you rarely (if ever) get faster download when changing to ADSL2, unless your modem is not set correctly but this would be the exception rather than the rule, 3.5K's from the exchange you're lucky to even get what you're getting I would think, the big difference of course is the upload which can make a lot of difference (or at least it always has for me), having ADSL2 go slower than an 8K connection when nothing else has changed could be just a congestion issue or a hardware issue, if it's congestion then the results will vary at different times of the day or night and so would be pretty obvious within a short space of time, if it's hardware then some experimenting with your current settings or perhaps even seeing if you can borrow a modem to test with might be worthwhile

jimdigris

Post by jimdigris » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:01 am

I am experiencing the same thing. Speeds are awful most of the time. Speedtest does some strange things, it shoots up for a brief moment then drops right down then slowly rises. The only thing better is uploads. I'm also experiencing many drop outs. On the 8000/384 adsl1 connection I rarely experienced any dificulties or drops in speed, in fact most times I could predict the speed would be around 6Mb/sec. Right now I cant even youtube, the caching can not stay in front of the video! Could this be something in the exchange or something in my modem needs changing, i have not changed a thing because it worked so well with adsl1. Its a netcomm nb6plus4w BTW, testmy.net gives dreadfull results!

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 211 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 6152 kB)
Download Speed is:: 26 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Houston, TX USA)
Test Time:: 2010-09-02 00:00:56 GMT
Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 39.38 sec
Tested from a 6152 kB file and took 238.89 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: May need help : You are only running at 10% of your hosts average (com.au)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/BXCI1E8QM&
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 [!]

jimdigris

Post by jimdigris » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:07 am

Your current bandwidth reading is:

1.45 Mbps

which means you can download at 186.1 KB/sec. from our servers.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 am

jimdigris, all you are testing with testmy.net is congestion on the overseas routes. I just did that test and got 1/8 of my normal speed. and the latency was very high. The fluctuating result from speedtest.net is more interesting. Could you post the line status from your modem? Could you also compare this with the modem in isolation - ie nothing else on the phone line, everything else unplugged, and with the modem in the 1st point in your house?

Dropouts are usually local line problems, such as excessive noise, commonly on the external street cable, but also from within your house.

The only setting change possibly needed in your modem is to let it auto choose the modulation, so tick all six line modes (G.DMT, and ADSL2+, etc) - manual p76.

jimdigris

Post by jimdigris » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Hmmm, maybe as Dazzled said above it's an interference problem

I moved the modem to another room (it was about six inches from the edge of a large plasma tv) and things seems to have improved

Dazzled, here are the current line speeds:

System Up Time 00:01:20:14
DSL Speed (DS/US) 19399/1015 Kbps

Which is about 4000 higher than it was before than when next to the tv

Speeds are better now, but Ill wait and see if things go down hill like they did the first night it was connected

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:39 pm

That's good news. ADSL2 is carried on a high frequency analogue signal imposed on the phone line carrier, and is very susceptible to electro-magnetic interference. This makes it difficult or impossible for the modem algorithm to translate a digital signal for passing on to routers and computers. A modem is only a small computer with hardware encoding-decoding circuits, and if it can't convert the input, it simply outputs nothing, (= writes a log message and drops out). Your downloaded data slowness (which was timing a binary file transfer) may have really been duplicated data resent because of inability to make sense of part of the input stream.

Domestic motors, televisions and the like all broadcast to some extent, and can induce small voltages in nearby phone cables serving a modem. It's a good move to keep cables as short as possible as well.