Drop outs since upgrade to ADSL2 Telstra

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Aussietoo

Drop outs since upgrade to ADSL2 Telstra

Post by Aussietoo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Well Iam not that into the tech side of ADSL but since I upgraded from the 1500/256 plan that I was on for well over couple of years with very little problems and a good strong connection I just upgraded to the telstra ADSL2 plan this week and have had dropouts and reconnects all over the place and I never get better then 5000kb speed.

I could live with the speed but not the dropouts.

I have done all the stuff that has been mentioned in the forums from only using a 2mtr cord (thats all I need) using 3 different ones. Detatched all phones and Foxtel (Only have one phone. Connected only through telephone jack at wall without antthing else.

My modem is a Belkin N wireless Router with latest update. (Remember I have had no problem with my previous 1500/256 untill now so I wont except that its a modem issue. I did attach a DLink I have as a spare and it too would not connect any faster then 5000kb and drop out.

I know its a line problem or exchange problem but I have no idea were to start. I did submit a fault to Exeltel but from the comments here that may take sometime.

Oh ive also turned everything off over night and reconnected with no change.

Also does anybody no of a program that I can run in the background to monitor the dropouts so I can see just how often its happening.

Here is a copy of the Belkin index page also.

SORRY DONT KNOW HOW TO PRINT THE PAGE ON HERE SO HAD TO COPY PASTE.

Version Info LAN Settings
Firmware Version 2.00.18 (Sep 8 2009 18:34:03) LAN/WLAN MAC 94-44-52-0B-A3-AB
Boot Version V0.02 IP Address 192.168.2.1
Hardware F5D8636-4 v2 (01) Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Serial No. 12943863602326 DHCP Server Enabled(1 LAN, 2 WLAN Clients)

Internet Settings Features
WAN MAC Address 00-18-F3-C5-5E-64 (Clone MAC) Firewall Settings Enabled
Connection Type PPPoE
WAN IP 58.96.32.93
Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0 UPnP Enabled
Default Gateway 58.96.3.202 Remote Management Disabled
DNS Address 220.233.0.3 WPS Enabled

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 4232Kb 913Kb

Noise Margin 6 6

Output power(dBm) 0 173

Attenuation(dB) 58 34

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream

Noise Margin 6 6

Output power(dBm) 0 173

Attenuation(dB) 58 34

outbush

Re: Drop outs since upgrade to ADSL2 Telstra

Post by outbush » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Aussietoo wrote:Well Iam not that into the tech side of ADSL but since I upgraded from the 1500/256 plan that I was on for well over couple of years with very little problems and a good strong connection I just upgraded to the telstra ADSL2 plan this week and have had dropouts and reconnects all over the place and I never get better then 5000kb speed.

I could live with the speed but not the dropouts.
ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream

Noise Margin 6 6

Output power(dBm) 0 173

Attenuation(dB) 58 34
Hi, with your line attenuation of 58
your "data rate of 4232Kb 913Kb"
is probably the best you can obtain on that long length of Tel$tra line
I dont know of any tweaks for Belkins.

Aussietoo

Post by Aussietoo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Thankyou but I really need a strong conection speed I will have to put up with. Its the dropouts and reconnects that are driving me nuts.

I was maybe hoping if ADSL2 is to unstable can I go back to the 1500/256 plan without having to pay another $30. Or somehow slow that conection to say 3000kb or is the dropouts not related to speed and regardless what speed it is will it drop out being ADSL2. I read somewere that ADSL 1 is different altogether and more stable. Gee if I new all this now I would never have bothered to upgrade. I would have thought that Exetel may have done some tests first and at least let the client know that by upgrading you may affect how stable things are. I dont know Iam lost.

Cheers

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Aussietoo wrote:Thankyou but I really need a strong conection speed I will have to put up with. Its the dropouts and reconnects that are driving me nuts.

I was maybe hoping if ADSL2 is to unstable can I go back to the 1500/256 plan without having to pay another $30. Or somehow slow that conection to say 3000kb or is the dropouts not related to speed and regardless what speed it is will it drop out being ADSL2. I read somewere that ADSL 1 is different altogether and more stable. Gee if I new all this now I would never have bothered to upgrade. I would have thought that Exetel may have done some tests first and at least let the client know that by upgrading you may affect how stable things are. I dont know Iam lost.

Cheers
I dont know about Belkins, but what you would want to do is to find a "Connection Mode" setting to force ADSL2 or ADSL1 instead of ADSL2+ (i.e. to slow down your modem)
then you would not need to alter your plan and pay more.
If you can do the above you could slow down your download speed and KEEP a better upload speed(i.E. for VOIP or file transfer)

Aussietoo

Post by Aussietoo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:50 pm

yep thats what I would like to do but have no idea how as looking at the index page on the router there doesn't seem to be a area to slow it down or make it connect at a slower rate.

Thatx for the help though.

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Aussietoo wrote:yep thats what I would like to do but have no idea how as looking at the index page on the router there doesn't seem to be a area to slow it down or make it connect at a slower rate.

Thatx for the help though.
You might have to get a different modem that has adjustment.
Also have a read here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1415323
It seems others have problems with Belkins

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:09 pm

The attenuation is very high and the noise margin is tight. Are you really over 4 km from the exchange, measured along the line? Drop outs usually come down to a noise source on the line, whether external, or from within your home. I don't have a manual for your model, but it probably has a web interface to the log file where all modems record error events, eg drop-outs. I do know it can be hard at times to telnet into the Belkin terminal and they are usually designed to give the user little control.

Aussietoo

Post by Aussietoo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:11 am

Well here is some strange reports. Over the weekend Ive been playing around and Ive come to some funny facts.

Our computer is in out in the family room (the only one we have) so we have a Plasma TV, wii, foxtel box attached to the TV but not to the phone line. But in the corner of the room about 2.5 mtrs away from the adsl modem we have a Vibration platform machine. When we turn the machine on and the speeds change the adsl line drops out this will continue as the speed changes plus the speeds get slower. So there has to be interference from this machine. Of course we also have drop outs when the machine is not in use but it makes me wonder if more appliances in the house are causing the dropouts as well.

However we did not have this problem when connectied to the ADSL 1 plans.

Exetel have said i can get a service tech out but if there is no fix I pay $110. Iam wondering if they can fix the Attenuation(dB) from a high 58.

Does anybody have some info as to why this would be happening and would I be wasting my time having a tech out. And money.

Thanx for any advice guys. Iam very new at all this but learning.

outbush

Post by outbush » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:51 am

Aussietoo wrote:........................
However we did not have this problem when connectied to the ADSL 1 plans.

Exetel have said i can get a service tech out but if there is no fix I pay $110. Iam wondering if they can fix the Attenuation(dB) from a high 58.
ADSL2+ lines are more sensitive to interference from electrical sources.
I would suggest you research modems that would be more suitable for long copper lines from the exchange and what type of chips they have that would help this factor.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Aussietoo wrote:I was maybe hoping if ADSL2 is to unstable can I go back to the 1500/256 plan without having to pay another $30.
You can email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au and ask for a 1.5Mbps stability profile to be placed on your line. That would replicate the 1.5Mbps connection and very likely stop the drops outs while still retaining a higher upload speed and it doesn't cost anything.

Unfortunately, there is no 3Mbps profile (only 1.5Mbps, 8Mbps, 12Mbps and 24Mbps) but borrowing a different modem just to compare it to your Belkin is definitely recommended because other modems might handle the high attenuation (cause by either long line difference or interference) much better. They might even simply *detect* such interference better and automatically downgrade to about 3Mbps to compensate.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au