Beware Exetel plan change con!!

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
drewey10

Beware Exetel plan change con!!

Post by drewey10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Just to warn you all, i have fallen into a trap with the new plans being offered by Exetel. The plans list a greater peak download for the same amount of money, but whay they don't tell you is that they are using this offered plan change to reduce your off peak period. If you change plans, you will find that you only get 6 hours off peak, not the 12 your are currently enjoying.

You will all remember the recent outcry, when they were going to enforce this change. They thought better of it, now they have got some of us, offering what you think is a better plan, but in fact you are much worse off.

It'sd my fault for not reading the fine print, I was guilty of not expecting that my ISP would not intentionally be trying to con me into a worse plan for the same money.

Be aware, Exetel can't be trusted to actually look after their customers.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Beware Exetel plan change con!!

Post by Dazzled » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Plans change all the time, and the off-peak times are clearly stated. (I stay on an older plan because it suits me better).

It's unfortunate you didn't read the details before changing, but you go too far by accusing the company of deceiving you. You are, at the least, insulting the Exetel staff, and an edit would be appreciated. And no, I don't work for Exetel.

Nobody would mind a post that simply observed that the off peak time had shrunk, and advised care in selecting a plan where off-peak time is important.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Off peak times are EXTREMELY clearly stated on the Exetel plan page, as well as on the signup page itself. You will see them CLEARLY stated on every table where it says, in the table header IN BOLD "Included Offpeak Downloads: 4am-10am" or "Included Offpeak: 2am - 8am" depending on the plan.

Edit:
Having read https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php as opposed to http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php (based on Lawrie's post below, I have somewhat reversed my stance on this issue. The Member's Facilities pages do leave quite a lot to be desired in terms of disclosure of off-peak times and I will create a post to hopefully get these rectified.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Whilst I agree with Dazzled that the OP has gone over the top with accusations of lying and that we do not need this type of posting, I can see that there needs to be a change to the information posted in the Change Service TAB within the Manage Services ADSL on the Members Facilities page. Nowhere on that page does it state the Peak-Off Peak times, and it could be easily concluded that these periods would stay the same as your existing service.
Only by reading the plans on the external web page do you find reference to the 4am - 10am Off Peak periods, AND the Plans are currently different Plans (eg. external OTAA and from the Members Facility OTA) so there is no direct way of knowing the peak-offpeak times for the new OTA plans.

So I suppose there is a need for Shady to update the Member Facilities information to display the Peak Offpeak times so that no-one else gets dissapointed when they order a new plan and find that the off peak has shrunk to half what they previously enjoyed.

Lawrie

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Thank you for a constructive look at what might have happened Lawrie.

My initial reaction was to hit the delete button this afternoon, but I left it open (for a while) for the OP to re-explain his position without an offensive accusation. I'll draw Exetel's attention to your point.

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 pm

Dazzled wrote:Thank you for a constructive look at what might have happened Lawrie.

I'll draw Exetel's attention to your point.
Or better still, the confirmation email that they send should contain ALL of the information of the plan that has been requested. At the moment this email only contains your current plan name, the new plan name and date applied. The rest of the email contains generic information, even of plans that are not related to your current or new plan.

Regards

Shady

Post by Shady » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:11 am

This was not meant to "con" people. We removed it because we have a lot of pages we need to update with the new peak and offpeak times every time there is a plan change. Sometimes pages would be accidentally missed and it was causing even more problems with people accusing us of "false" advertising or in this case "conning". These are human errors and we try to avoid them by centralizing the information.

We have in-depth information about these plans and everything else on our main website. That is the information website. The Members Facilities is there to give you the ability to modify your services.

I will think of something to avoid this in the near future but please bear with us.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 am

Shady wrote:
I will think of something to avoid this in the near future but please bear with us.
perhaps if the user agreement that is agreed to could do a scrape of the plan with details etc as tabled on the main site and inserted as part of the process, not sure how feasible that would be but having the info inserted into the acknowledgment form when processing at least would fill the need

Shady

Post by Shady » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:33 am

jokiin wrote:
Shady wrote:
perhaps if the user agreement that is agreed to could do a scrape of the plan with details etc as tabled on the main site and inserted as part of the process, not sure how feasible that would be but having the info inserted into the acknowledgment form when processing at least would fill the need
This is not a bad idea although I was thinking of maybe making the 'peak' and 'offpeak' table headers a link or a function where if the customer clicks or hovers over it with the mouse, it will display the relevant information. What do you guys think?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:45 am

Shady wrote:This is not a bad idea although I was thinking of maybe making the 'peak' and 'offpeak' table headers a link or a function where if the customer clicks or hovers over it with the mouse, it will display the relevant information. What do you guys think?
Unless you had a description like "Click here to review off-peak terms" this could still be construed by some as hiding some information.

Why not a dedicated "comparison" page? No reason why this can't be a public page, but if you prefer to limit it to the Member Facilities to reduce load, that is good too. Have a little database with all old and new plans' "specs" (off peak time, quotas, speeds, prices, etc) and allow a side by side comparison of multiple options. This comparison page can be used by all to compare any group of plans, and the "plan change" can then have a direct link to (or include the output of) a page with a HTML querystring that pre-populates the comparison of the new and old plans in question.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Gabriel8

Post by Gabriel8 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:28 pm

drewey10 wrote:Just to warn you all, i have fallen into a trap with the new plans being offered by Exetel. The plans list a greater peak download for the same amount of money, but whay they don't tell you is that they are using this offered plan change to reduce your off peak period. If you change plans, you will find that you only get 6 hours off peak, not the 12 your are currently enjoying.

It'sd my fault for not reading the fine print, I was guilty of not expecting that my ISP would not intentionally be trying to con me into a worse plan for the same money.

Be aware, Exetel can't be trusted to actually look after their customers.

There is no con here. The lesson here is when in doubt of details check it. You have the Exetel main sales page to check with just one click and also you can ring Exetel Sales with just one call for the details.

A con exists when details are not true, not when details are omitted on a certain page which can be found out very easily.

You seem upset at Exetel because you believe they have tricked you so you accuse them of being deceivers and not looking after their customers well which is not a very nice thing to do over a few bucks. You did get more onpeak allowance. Also there are other isps in the market besides Exetel that would love to have you as a customer.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks Gabriel8. Could posters now confine comments to improving the website, particularly as Shady is now working on that.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Gabriel8 wrote:The lesson here is when in doubt of details check it.
To be fair I don't think it relates to doubt, it is just an assumption that because it has been like that before that it would still be the same when going to a new plan, in reality I think it perhaps is something that would really only be an issue for an existing user, a new user would be coming in from the front page and dealing with all the information available to make a decision, when you look at something regularly enough you do tend to get a bit shop blind and not notice minor changes so having the details a bit more prominent through the update process probably isn't a bad thing anyway, Exetel is I would think more transparent with its customers than any other ISP you could think of, hiding details etc is not something that happens at Exetel by any stretch of the imagination

TravAlt

Post by TravAlt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:34 pm

This was disappointing for me after I changed, though it isn't a con. Though it might cause some people to leave Exetel.

David R

Post by David R » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:45 pm

edit: redacted
When you've got dozens of customers each month ordering services or submitting plan changes(including some at <$30 a pop): the least courtesy you can do for everyone is ensure we posses the relevant facts, the information ought to be articulated consistently throughout the site so details can be learned Upfront i.e. no presumption as to 'the (best) place to look/ check'..... ideally this is a process that could be passed to automation as commented above, but it remains especially important that where a "reduction" is being led that there can be no mistake.(not that its impacted me but it is something Ive noticed)
Last edited by David R on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.