Is Telstra's Five Days Accurate?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Yuri

Is Telstra's Five Days Accurate?

Post by Yuri » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:32 pm

I upgraded from TELN to TE-2D at work on 30/8, Exetel advising me on 31/8 that "speed upgrade has been completed as requested".

Over the past couple of days, I've powered off the modem for 10-20 minutes, but still have line speed of 9.06 Mbps (9063 kbps) / download speed 1.11 MB/s (1133 KB/s).

Given that it's day 6, is it time to lodge a ticket, or is Telstra's "up to five days" a rubbery figure?

Lawrie

Re: Is Telstra's Five Days Accurate?

Post by Lawrie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:46 pm

I suspect that the reference to 5 days would be 5 "working days"

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Yuri wrote:I upgraded from TELN to TE-2D at work on 30/8, Exetel advising me on 31/8 that "speed upgrade has been completed as requested".

Over the past couple of days, I've powered off the modem for 10-20 minutes, but still have line speed of 9.06 Mbps (9063 kbps) / download speed 1.11 MB/s (1133 KB/s).

Given that it's day 6, is it time to lodge a ticket, or is Telstra's "up to five days" a rubbery figure?
That looks like ADSL2 to me.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Your upload speed will tell you. Each ADSL1 plan has a capped upload rate.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Today:
Test run on 07/09/2010 @ 12:09 PM
Your line speed is 3.69 Mbps (3689 kbps).
Your download speed is 461 KB/s (0.45 MB/s).

Upload Test (1MB):
kbps: 893.54
KB/s: 111.69
Mbps: 0.89

EDIT: FWIW, the internet icon in the systray (lower right side of screen continues to show 4.2 Mbps as it always has).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:45 pm

It would have been better to use the modem status, but you have your answer - ADSL1 upstream caps out at 384 kbps.

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Dazzled wrote:ADSL1 upstream caps out at 384 kbps.
Fair enough.

I had been hoping for a better download speed than ADSL1, but no matter, at least the bandwidth and price is better on ADSL2.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Yuri wrote:but still have line speed of 9.06 Mbps (9063 kbps)
Which is ADSL2+, and which is better than ADSL1 which maxes out at 8Mbps line speed
Yuri wrote:FWIW, the internet icon in the systray (lower right side of screen continues to show 4.2 Mbps as it always has).
I've never heard of an Internet systray icon, only a local network icon which shows the speed of your computer's connection to the modem (i.e. 100Mbps or 1Gbps). Have you somehow set up your ADSL2+ connection to use a dial-up-like connection? Perhaps you have your modem connected via USB instead of ethernet. If so, and if your modem supports an ethernet as opposed to USB, you should leave the computer configured automatically, connect using a network cable and log in to the modem's web interface to store the ADSL2+ connection details and automatically connect.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:11 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:]I've never heard of an Internet systray icon, only a local network icon which shows the speed of your computer's connection to the modem (i.e. 100Mbps or 1Gbps)
Ok. I must have the terminology wrong, sorry. I have two network icons, one says "Local Area Connection: Speed 100MBps Status: Connected." The other says "Internet Connection: Speed 4.2Mbps Status: Connected". (My PC at home - on Exetel ADSL2+ connected through ethernet to a Billion modem - has the same two icons (except the internet one says 12.3MBps).

As in image below (I moused over the intenet network icon to demonstrate the pop-up message).

The PC is connected via ethernet cable to a Billion 7300N router, thence to the outside line via a central splitter.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Interesting. I've never seen any sort of icon like that in Windows XP, nor in the few Vista computers I've used. I also have no idea how it would determine the speed either, since the authentication is done by the Billion and isn't polled by the computer (perhaps it does poll some makes of modem somehow...)

If an actual speedtest shows higher throughput (like 9Mbps, etc) then it might just be a case of a Windows driver / systray icon doing it's own (crappy) pseudo-speed test and getting it wrong.

Otherwise, if you are using Vista, you might want to look into disabling IPv6. Anecdotally, this can improve user experiences when browsing, etc
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:44 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Interesting. I've never seen any sort of icon like that in Windows XP:
If an actual speedtest shows higher throughput (like 9Mbps, etc) then it might just be a case of a Windows driver / systray icon doing it's own (crappy) pseudo-speed test and getting it wrong.
Here's where you can turn it off/on......

CoreyPlover wrote:....it might just be a case of a Windows driver / systray icon doing its own (crappy) pseudo-speed test and getting it wrong.
You're probably right.

The connection speed is up and down like a bride's nightie: lunchtime it was 461KB/sec to 1021 KB/s just now. ADSL2+ seems to fluctuate far more than ADSL1 used to (usually a steady 420-450KB/sec).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 pm

That icon's got me intrigued, cause I haven't noticed it either.

It could be simply looking at the NIC setting, but that would give nice round numbers.

It is possible to keep an eye on the NIC interface and the clock, and when downloads actually occur, divide bytes by seconds to get a rate, which is obviously only valid during that download - so why store it for the cursor hint to pick up later?.

The modem may be read either on its telnet or browser interface to get the current line status. This needs to suit individual modem models, and needs a password. It isn't that.

Getting instantaneous transmission rates out of the modem is much the same as for a Linux computer - log in (password), read /proc/net/dev and the clock twice, and then do the division. Your applet isn't doing any of these things. The popup suggests it only notifies that you are connected.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:40 am

It's been awhile since I've run Windows, but that dialog box logs like your machine connects to the internet via another computer which has Internet Connection Sharing turned on?

EDIT - confirming (and as it says in the dialog box*) that "Internet Connection" is between you and a machine that is sharing it's internet connection - it's nothing to do with the actual connection to the internet.

*"This connections allows you to connect to the internet through a shared connection on another computer"

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Klaas wrote:"Internet Connection" is between you and a machine that is sharing its internet connection
Odd - the setup is PC -> Router -> outside world. No other PC in the building needs to be on.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Yuri wrote:
Klaas wrote:"Internet Connection" is between you and a machine that is sharing its internet connection
Odd - the setup is PC -> Router -> outside world. No other PC in the building needs to be on.
You may have two connections set up - the ethernet connection to the router, and a connection to another machine that is sharing it's internet connection.

If you go to Control Panel, Network Connections, what do you see? There should be a Local Area Connection, which will be the ethernet connection to the router. Are there any others? The screen shot you posted shows a Settings button, what comes up if you click on that?

The reported connection speeds you are seeing on the Internet Connection icon are probably the speeds gained in talking to the system that is sharing it's internet connection.