Is Telstra's Five Days Accurate?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Yuri

Re: Is Telstra's Five Days Accurate?

Post by Yuri » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Klaas wrote:If you go to Control Panel, Network Connections, what do you see? There should be a Local Area Connection, which will be the ethernet connection to the router. Are there any others?
Hi Klaas
Here's my "Network Connections":

As I said, the PC is connected to a Billion 7300N router, thence to internet (no other PC involved). It has always been thus from when I installed the modem.
Klaas wrote:The screen shot you posted shows a Settings button, what comes up if you click on that?
A screen saying "Advanced Settings" with a "Services" tab, the contents of which are blank.

Interestingly, I just looked in the modem's status screen and it does say "ADSL Up 1022 / 14859 kbps", so it's definitelyADSL2+. Ozspeedtest says "6788 kbps" so there must be a loss somewhere (the telephone/ADSL line-in runs from a central splitter inside the Telstra BN Commander box on the wall, so I have no way of performing an isolation test, more's the pity). Once I'm out of contract with my landlines (July next year), I'll move my ADSL2+ connection to Optus/Exetel on the fax machine's line as that comes straight out of the wall - not part of the Commander stuff).

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 pm

I could be wrong, but it's possible that your system is actually set up as the Internet Gateway, and other machines are using the "Internet Connection" to get to the internet?

Try disabling the Internet Gateway (right-click, there should a Status menu item, brings up a dialog with a "Disable" button), and see if that makes any difference.

If anyone then starts complaining that they can no longer access the internet, you'll know someone has been using it, along with your bandwidth :) .

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:57 am

Klaas wrote:Try disabling the Internet Gateway (right-click, there should a Status menu item, brings up a dialog with a "Disable" button), and see if that makes any difference.
Heh, heh.......

Window pops up entitled "Error Disconnecting"
Text: "It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."

No other PC is on. Wireless in router (7300N) is disabled.

......s'pose I could always re-install Windows..........

Sigh. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.