Help deciding if ADSL2 is suitable

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
colbem59

Help deciding if ADSL2 is suitable

Post by colbem59 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:44 pm

I am considering upgrading from my current ADSL1 plan 1500A which has 30GB peak to either

1. TE-M plan 8192kbps and 20GB for $65.00
2. TE-2d plan ADSL2 (Telstra) for $65.00 and 50GB peak

I rarely use the offpeak time. We usually download <20GB per month. My current modem reports my attainable rate downstream is 5312kbps and upstream 864kbps on ADSL1.
I often have 5 computers connected simultaneously (kids) and I mainly browse the internet while the kids play online games and use skype etc.

Any advice would be appreciated!

reallysuperman

Re: Help deciding if ADSL2 is suitable

Post by reallysuperman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Well all i can say is that with choice you have to make is they are the same price and you get more downloads on the ADSL2+ plan you are looking at, so to me it would be ADSL 2+ just for the value as by the sounds of it you are not going to see a lot of speed difference between the ADSL1 and ADSL2 if all you can get it about 5mbps

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:20 pm

colbem59 wrote: I often have 5 computers connected simultaneously (kids) and I mainly browse the internet while the kids play online games and use skype etc.
ADSL2 would be far better for you, even if your attainable download was the same as a fast ADSL1 service the extra upload makes a world of difference, particularly when multiple computers are using your connection

not sure what you mean by attainable rate reported by your modem though, maybe a model I'm not too familiar with, if it was sync speed it would indicate you were already on an ADSL2 service like some of the older ADSL1 plans that were migrated for people that had Powertel equipment in their exchange, a quick test from www.speedtest.net would show if that were the case though

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Yeah, your sync stats (over 1.5Mbps) comapred to your plan (1.5Mbps) suggest that you have been automatically migrated to ADSL2+ on Powertel infrastructure already. Where possible, Exetel automatically move ADSL1 customers to Powertel based ADSL2+ because it is actually cheaper for everyone.

You can email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au to confirm whether this is the case for you, but if it is you should leave everything the way it is because your speeds will be ADSL2+ already, the price is cheaper than either of the plans indicated and the downloads (peak and off-peak) are greater. Also, check how much you are paying because if you are on "1500A" for billing, but actually on Powertel infrastructure, you could even switch to the AAB plan and it would work out cheaper still

If you are not on Powertel infrastructure, you should check if it is available for you (http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_no_phone.pl) because plan AAB seems better than all of 1500A, TE-M and TE-2D.

Side note though: Going to a Powertel plans if easy and hassle free. Migrating off Powertel in the future can be more difficult and will likely involve 1-2 weeks of ADSL downtime

If you are not on Powertel infrastructure, and it is not available, TE-2D seems the best option for you.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

colbem59

Post by colbem59 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:11 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Yeah, your sync stats (over 1.5Mbps) comapred to your plan (1.5Mbps) suggest that you have been automatically migrated to ADSL2+ on Powertel infrastructure already.
I am definitely not on ADSL2 as there is no Powertel at the Gorokan exchange. My modem is Netcomm NBW9 and this is the page with my stats:
stats.PNG
stats.PNG (16.41 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Does this mean my line is not capable of going over 5312kbps even if I get ADSL2?

sable

Post by sable » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Does this mean my line is not capable of going over 5312kbps even if I get ADSL2?
Unfortunately yes.

The only benefit you will get from ADSL2 will be the potential for higher upload speeds.

If all you want is better download speed then change to an 8Mb plan, TE-K @ $45 is very well priced,

however if you regularly use 20Mb then you will have to either scedule non-urgent downloads to occurr in the off peak period or pay a bit more!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:43 pm

colbem59 wrote:I am definitely not on ADSL2 as there is no Powertel at the Gorokan exchange.
Ah. "Attainable rate", not "actual rate".

Your attenuation (54.5dB) is very high implying a long cable distance between you and the exchange, so yes: 5-6Mbps is your maximum speed potential, under either 8Mbps ADSL1 or ADSL2+. Therefore, TE-2D would not seem to be cost effective for you unless you are a heavy user.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au