Modem won't connect at 8192

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
crmay1

Re: Modem won't connect at 8192

Post by crmay1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:19 pm

It's a telstra based connection. I would have preferred naked ADSL with optus but it's not yet available.

I hoping to get a netcom NB9WMAXXn very soon and I'll post if there is any change in speed. I just find it strange that the connection speed suddenly dropped? It may have also been around the time telstra started offering ADSL2 services.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 pm

crmay1 wrote:It's a telstra based connection. I would have preferred naked ADSL with optus but it's not yet available.

I hoping to get a netcom NB9WMAXXn very soon and I'll post if there is any change in speed. I just find it strange that the connection speed suddenly dropped? It may have also been around the time telstra started offering ADSL2 services.
ok well the infrastructure, backhaul etc is the same, if you had changed networks there may have been something else in it, the new modem could be all you need or it could be something else, Telstra sometimes do knock the speeds back if they are having issues from an exchange, when this happens it is normally pending an upgrade and they do it to make it fairer for everyone that is connected there while they are waiting on the upgrade

I'd see how it goes once you have your new modem in and then take it from there

also I take it your line is clean, no unusual pops, clicks, static etc, if there is you can report it to Telstra, no need to mention internet just report a fault on the line that is affecting voice quality and they can run some line tests, there is a very common fault with the joins in the pits with a gel product they were using a few years back that eats through the insulation on the lines and causes all sorts of grief, could even be a line voltage problem as this can knock internet performance around also, they can run some tests over the phone which will report any anomalies, it's all reasonably automated and a lot of it can be done remotely

crmay1

Post by crmay1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm

The line is very clean. Do you know if telstra will admit they are throttling connections due to issues with an exchange? Also, just to confirm, I used adsl2exchanges.com.au to check my distance and it reported around 1.5k. It is possible that the actual copper is 2.5k as it might travel the two main streets in the town which kind of circle my property.

I'll report the outcome of the modem when it arrives.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:17 pm

crmay1 wrote:The line is very clean. Do you know if telstra will admit they are throttling connections due to issues with an exchange? Also, just to confirm, I used adsl2exchanges.com.au to check my distance and it reported around 1.5k. It is possible that the actual copper is 2.5k as it might travel the two main streets in the town which kind of circle my property.

I'll report the outcome of the modem when it arrives.
while they may not admit it as such there is a list of exchanges scheduled for upgrades, if your exchange is on that list then I guess there's a chance it could be limited pending completion of an upgrade

crmay1

Post by crmay1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi Again,

New modem installed and all is good. The modem is telling me that I have a speed of just over 12M but I've only been able to reach just over nine on one of the speed tests. I guess the old modem was packing up.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Cheers,
Craig

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:56 am

Hi. I just changed from one of the old 1500kb/s plans to an 8192 plan. The change took effect this morning and is reflected in my user facilities page. I've conducted a power recycle of my modem (model NB9W) and the link speed is still reported as 1536 dn / 256 up. The stats from my modem diagnostics page are listed below. The ADSL exchange website reports my distance from the exchange as 1.3km as the crow flies and estimated 2km cable length. Any ideas?

Mode: G.DMT
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 27.8 24.0
Attenuation (dB): 33.0 19.0
Output Power (dBm): 13.6 3.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 7744 1164
Rate (Kbps): 1536 256
K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 49 9
R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1 1
D (interleaver depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0 0

Super Frames: 74811 74809
Super Frame Errors: 0 0
RS Words: 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A

HEC Errors: 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 4607346 0
Data Cells: 366572 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 15 0

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:29 am

ScottW wrote: Any ideas?
the change goes through on your bill at the first of the month, it sometimes takes Telstra a day or so after to get the physical change done though, power cycle your modem again later today and it might be done by then, otherwise just have to wait a bit longer, it will happen though

ScottW

Post by ScottW » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks. The modem has been power reset and the new speeds are registering (plus the speed jump is obvious when accessing the internet) however the phone line now has a substantial background crackling which never before existed. Would a new inline filter result in any improvement in this or should I just contact Telstra?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 pm

when you say an inline filter, what are you using now?