Constant dropouts - tried everything

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
m0j0

Constant dropouts - tried everything

Post by m0j0 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am

I've been having this problem for about 5-6 weeks now. Spent this time trying all sorts of different options to isolate the issue but everything seems to be pointing to the line. Here's a summary of my observations:-

Hardware: Currently using Cisco 877 with latests 12.4 IOS and updated Alcatel firmware. Have also used Cisco 827 prior to the ADSL2+ upgrade as well as a Cisco 1841 with a bridged DLink DSL-502T via PPPoE. I was originally using the 827 when connected via 8M/384k ADSL1 and was running this way for many months without incident. After applying for ADSL2+, but a couple of weeks prior to the actual upgrade, I started experiencing these problems. I put up with it for the first couple of weeks in the hope that the changeover to ADSL2+ might resolve the issue. However, there has been no change to the problem and the ADSL2+ was commissioned at the beginning of this month. I've been trying the different hardware options above since the problem began however.

CD Light status: When the connection is working, the CD light is on solid and Rx/Tx lights flash with activity. When the connection drops, the CD light starts flashing and no Rx/Tx activity.

Dial tone: There appears to be no issue with the phone line as far as voice goes. Line quality sounds OK (although there have been times where I can hear static on the line but not all the time). Never had a problem with getting dial tone, even when the link drops.

Isolation tests: I've had a few periods of at least 6 hours where I've left only the router connected. No other devices connected throughout the house. This appear to make no difference to the dropouts. I've tried different connection points for the router around the house and this also makes no difference. I currently have no phones or any other device connected other than my router and I've had 3 dropouts in the last 20 minutes.

Other observations:
1) Dropout frequency is very irregular. It can happen every 5-10 minutes for a couple of hours or it can not happen at all for a day or two. The outage is usually only for about 30-90 seconds, however if I'm using the 1841/D-Link combination, when the connection drops I usually need to physically reset the D-Link to get it back - the Cisco DSL interfaces will usually re-connect by themselves.
2) I'm seeing a lot of errors on my interface. Most worrying I believe are the CRC errors.
3) Current sync speeds, errors etc:
DS - 16213kbps
US - 1020kbps
Reed-Solomon EC: DS-763, US-477195
CRC Errors: DS-333, US-20980
Header Errors: DS-347, US-458848
Noise Margin: DS-8.5dB, US-6.5dB
Attenuation: DS-22.5dB, US-10.0dB
There's a heap of other errors, not sure if any of them are useful.

I think I've reached the point of having nothing else to try. My family are starting to give me hell for it because it's affecting their online gaming :roll:

My question is, where do I go from here? Is this something Exetel should be looking at or should I be going to Telstra directly?

Shazir
Exetel Staff

Re: Constant dropouts - tried everything

Post by Shazir » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:11 am

Please PM me the ticket reference number (if you have already brought this to the notice of Exetel tech support) OR please email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au for further advise.

m0j0

Re: Constant dropouts - tried everything

Post by m0j0 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 am

I just sent to Residential Support. Will advise ticket number when I get it.

Thanks.