ADSL1 or ADSL2? 3km of cable from Telstra exchange, Hobart

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
bingggo

ADSL1 or ADSL2? 3km of cable from Telstra exchange, Hobart

Post by bingggo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 am

Hi folks,

When you've got an estimated 3km of cable to the Telstra exchange, is it best to try ADSL1 8mbps first? or try ADSL2 first? Is the only difference the possibility of faster upload/download on ADSL2 (eg. pings would be the same)? Looking at distance graphs, it seems quite possible they would be a similar download speed. I have a Billion 7402VPG at the moment.

I'm moving into a house near Romilly Street South Hobart with no active phone line (had one in the past), which ADSL2exchanges estimates has 3km cable to the Davey St exchange, and estimates linespeed at 8mbps. Although the heatmap shows a lot of variation with some speeds at 24mbps in the area. Unreliable stats, I'd guess!

I currently have Exetel ADSL2 in Melbourne and am very happy with the service! I rang Exetel sales who offered a $60 special on activation ADSL1, so the plan with 8mbps 50gb onpeak 50gb offpeak for $58/month would suit my needs. But for $68/month, there is the ADSL2 plan with 120gb offpeak instead of 50gb. Activation for ADSL2 would cost me $60 more than the special.

Exetel sales suggested I could activate ADSL1 for the special of $60, then later change (within contract) to ADSL2 if I want for only $30... so I'd still be ahead on activation costs?

I'm thinking it sounds best to try ADSL1 8mbps first, then consider ADSL2 based on signal strength? But thought I'd check for anything I've missed here :)

Cheers,
B

JanakaDS
Exetel Staff

Re: ADSL1 or ADSL2? 3km of cable from Telstra exchange, Hoba

Post by JanakaDS » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 am

bingggo wrote:Hi folks,

When you've got an estimated 3km of cable to the Telstra exchange, is it best to try ADSL1 8mbps first? or try ADSL2 first? Is the only difference the possibility of faster upload/download on ADSL2 (eg. pings would be the same)? Looking at distance graphs, it seems quite possible they would be a similar download speed. I have a Billion 7402VPG at the moment.

I'm moving into a house near Romilly Street South Hobart with no active phone line (had one in the past), which ADSL2exchanges estimates has 3km cable to the Davey St exchange, and estimates linespeed at 8mbps. Although the heatmap shows a lot of variation with some speeds at 24mbps in the area. Unreliable stats, I'd guess!

I currently have Exetel ADSL2 in Melbourne and am very happy with the service! I rang Exetel sales who offered a $60 special on activation ADSL1, so the plan with 8mbps 50gb onpeak 50gb offpeak for $58/month would suit my needs. But for $68/month, there is the ADSL2 plan with 120gb offpeak instead of 50gb. Activation for ADSL2 would cost me $60 more than the special.

Exetel sales suggested I could activate ADSL1 for the special of $60, then later change (within contract) to ADSL2 if I want for only $30... so I'd still be ahead on activation costs?

I'm thinking it sounds best to try ADSL1 8mbps first, then consider ADSL2 based on signal strength? But thought I'd check for anything I've missed here :)

Cheers,
B
You may check the ADSL2 service availability at the new location first. Please go through the below URLs and see the estimated figures (no guarantee) for the ADSL2 service that could be delivered through your telephone line. I would say that the ADSL1 is more reliable than ADSL2, but most probably ADSL2 will give you a better speed than ADSL1.

http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_with_phone.pl
http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/naked_nf_adsl2.pl
http://sq.exetel.com.au/cgi-bin/adsl2_nf_no_phone.pl

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 am

bingggo wrote:When you've got an estimated 3km of cable to the Telstra exchange, is it best to try ADSL1 8mbps first? or try ADSL2 first? Is the only difference the possibility of faster upload/download on ADSL2 (eg. pings would be the same)? Looking at distance graphs, it seems quite possible they would be a similar download speed. I have a Billion 7402VPG at the moment.
Yes. At 3km, they might be quite similar download speeds. But you are correct that ADSL2+ will also give a faster upload speed. If I were in your position, I'd go for ADSL2+. Theoretically speaking, ADSL2+ should always sync the same, or higher, than ADSL1. While you might lose a little bit of stability, I think the benefits (cost effectiveness, higher upload, higher quota) outweigh this and at 3km you should have too many problems
bingggo wrote:Exetel sales suggested I could activate ADSL1 for the special of $60, then later change (within contract) to ADSL2 if I want for only $30... so I'd still be ahead on activation costs?
This is likely to only apply for Telstra ADSL2+ plans, where you'd be moving from Telstra ADSL1 to Telstra ADSL2+. If you where to attempt to upgrade to the Optus ADSL2+ plans, you would incur an early termination fee.
bingggo wrote:I'm thinking it sounds best to try ADSL1 8mbps first, then consider ADSL2 based on signal strength? But thought I'd check for anything I've missed here :)
You could befriend a neighbour and ask to see their modem sync stats. Note their provider, the line attenuation, SNR / Noise margins / etc and post them here. Or use the availability checker as Janaka states, using a neighbour's phone number. That should give a good indication of speed potential.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for the advice.

The first check link says:
ADSL2 Number: 0362238108
Exchange Code: DAEY
Exchange Availability: NO
Exchange Capacity Reached: NO
Telephone Service Availability: Not available now
ADSL2 Service Availability: Not available now

The third check link says the Davey St exchange is not a Powertel exchange.

Are these the right links for to get Telstra ADSL2 through Exetel? I gather other Exetel ADSL2 customers are using this exchange.

Cheers,
Bruce

Shazir
Exetel Staff

Post by Shazir » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:32 pm

bingggo wrote:Thanks for the advice.

The first check link says:
ADSL2 Number: 0362238108
Exchange Code: DAEY
Exchange Availability: NO
Exchange Capacity Reached: NO
Telephone Service Availability: Not available now
ADSL2 Service Availability: Not available now

The third check link says the Davey St exchange is not a Powertel exchange.

Are these the right links for to get Telstra ADSL2 through Exetel? I gather other Exetel ADSL2 customers are using this exchange.

Cheers,
Bruce
The first 2 qualification tools above are for Optus based ADSL2 services while the last one is for Powertel/AAPT based services. Please drop an email to residentialsales@exetel.com.au or speak to one of the consultants via 0280301000 (select sales) in order to do a qualification check for Telstra based service availability.