ADSL2 connection barely at ADSL1 speeds as of last night

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
silvestrae

ADSL2 connection barely at ADSL1 speeds as of last night

Post by silvestrae » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:13 am

Hey Guys,
I've had my ADSL2 for 5 months or so now and it has a down sync speed of 18000+ which usually lets me download at a pretty constant speed of 1.8 megabytes/sec.This morning my connection barely keeps a constant ADSL1 1500 speed and has trouble even completing a speed test on speedtest.net or on exetel.com.au/speed, it seems to just hang and stop transmitting.

There are 2 possible things I can see may be causing the issue.
1: Maybe there are still some network issues from yesterdays network fault? My connection dropped last night and i didnt think to check it when i came back on, i just went to bed. I have since power cycled this morning and it made no diff.
or 2: I just changed my plan 2 days ago from the old TE-2D Telstra ADSL2 plan, to the new version TE-2D Telstra ADSL2 plan which is same cost, speed, etc but included 100gb of data instead of 50gb. I didnt think the change would happen till the start of the next month but it has already and maybe something went wrong?

Edit: Even though the speed is acting this way, my modem is still syncing at 18326 kbps downstream

As far a my end goes, nothing has changed in even the slightest little bit.

Please let me know what it could be.
Regards
Ric

Diddemz

Re: ADSL2 connection barely at ADSL1 speeds as of last night

Post by Diddemz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 am

I am having the exact same issue myself.

I have been getting results like this for the last 12 hours myself. That is if the speed test even completes it times out a lot as well. I am on a 18 mg plan myself. I am getting terrible download speeds as well, especially through steam which is generally very reliable. I am located in Hawks Nest, New South Wales if that makes any difference.

Also on a side note. The threat creator is on 18 mg and is syncing at about 18 mg. Wouldn't that mean that my ADSL service has been off for the longest time. Since I only sync at around 10 mg :P. Just seems odd.

silvestrae

Post by silvestrae » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:38 am

good to see others with the same problem, as in, if its a multiple user problem itll be easier to look into/fix maybe?

And yeah half the speed tests i do stop half way through and the transmission of data seems to stop, including the adsl light which blinks at me when theres internet activity, it stops too, but stays lit to indicate its still connected.
As for your sync speed Diddemz 10,000 is still pretty good, it depends on your line quality, distance from exchange etc, if we truly were on adsl1 plans the sync speed maxes out at 1500 ish. Im in a newly built residential area and very close to the exchange for my 18,000

robinson2430

Post by robinson2430 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 am

yeh i've got it as well (we posted htreads at just about the same time)

normally get 16-17Mbps currently getting about 1.5Mbps

hopefully this can get sorted soon

Diddemz

Post by Diddemz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 am

I got a question. I know it is foolish to expect optimal speed considering your line condition and distance from the exchange. Shouldn't it sync at 18mg though? My 18mg speed has always been syncing at 10mg or so.

bgktmxg

Post by bgktmxg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 am

Hi guys, same story here. Was pushing 400kbps now creeping towards 700, though sync still at 15000. Normally get 1.6mbps down.

I wouldnt gauge your speeds off Steam though, as they are getting hammered with Black Ops.

EDIT: Getting closer to 1mbps now. Could this be leftover congestion after all the outages in the night?
Last edited by bgktmxg on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

silvestrae

Post by silvestrae » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:58 am

Diddemz wrote:I got a question. I know it is foolish to expect optimal speed considering your line condition and distance from the exchange. Shouldn't it sync at 18mg though? My 18mg speed has always been syncing at 10mg or so.
No, im no expert, but the speed you sync at to me means the speed that your modem is able to contact the exchange or ISP, and i think 'theoretically' that if your line is not near perfect than there should be no way for your modem to sync at 18000+, im pretty sure its directly related, i sync at 18,000 cause as i said im in a new residential areas, all new lines to the exchange etc. and im close to it.

Usually the pattern has always for me been that you divide your sync speed by 10 (i think its actually 8 but to take other factors in it seems to be more acurate to use 10) to get your download speed. so my 18,000/10 tells me i download at about 1800kb/sec or 1.8mb/sec which is correct for me. If you do it off your usual sync speed of 10,000 then that tells me that you should normall have a max download speed of 1000kb/sec or 1mb/sec is that right? Thats just what has alsways worked for me anyway lol
robinson2430 wrote:yeh i've got it as well (we posted htreads at just about the same time)

normally get 16-17Mbps currently getting about 1.5Mbps

hopefully this can get sorted soon
bgktmxg wrote:Hi guys, same story here. Was pushing 400kbps now creeping towards 700, though sync still at 15000. Normally get 1.6mbps down.

I wouldnt gauge your speeds off Steam though, as they are getting hammered with Black Ops.
lets Hope this issue gets fixed soon. :)

Diddemz

Post by Diddemz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:09 am

Yar just so you know Exetel. This is a pain in the ass and is happening lol. I have run a heap speed tests last hour and they are all over the place. They are all much much slower then my normal speed though. Watching a speedtest move back and forward between 2.6mg and 6mg is odd.

Also I am having trouble launching steam games, when they try and validate online >.> Seems related.

bgktmxg

Post by bgktmxg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:15 am

Diddemz wrote: Also I am having trouble launching steam games, when they try and validate online >.> Seems related.
This is unrelated. Steam is under immense load with the release of COD Black Ops.

silvestrae

Post by silvestrae » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:18 am

Diddemz wrote:Yar just so you know Exetel. This is a pain in the ass and is happening lol. I have run a heap speed tests last hour and they are all over the place. They are all much much slower then my normal speed though. Watching a speedtest move back and forward between 2.6mg and 6mg is odd.

Also I am having trouble launching steam games, when they try and validate online >.> Seems related.
lol give them time to investigate and see what the issue could be, they cant just flip a "Fix It" switch and then have a nice day lol

Im sure someone will post here when they have something for us.
bgktmxg wrote:
Diddemz wrote: Also I am having trouble launching steam games, when they try and validate online >.> Seems related.
This is unrelated. Steam is under immense load with the release of COD Black Ops.
^this

Diddemz

Post by Diddemz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:28 am

silvestrae wrote:
Diddemz wrote:Yar just so you know Exetel. This is a pain in the ass and is happening lol. I have run a heap speed tests last hour and they are all over the place. They are all much much slower then my normal speed though. Watching a speedtest move back and forward between 2.6mg and 6mg is odd.

lol give them time to investigate and see what the issue could be, they cant just flip a "Fix It" switch and then have a nice day lol

Im sure someone will post here when they have something for us.
bgktmxg wrote:
^this
I know. I just want the issue to be known though lol, not one of those issues that never really gets addressed :P. I am trying to download Black Ops atm also

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:58 am

It looks like a balancing issue.

I've alerted our network engineer who is looking into it.

Diddemz

Post by Diddemz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:00 pm

JasonM wrote:It looks like a balancing issue.

I've alerted our network engineer who is looking into it.
Thank you for the response Jason :)

Diddemz

Post by Diddemz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:04 pm

My download speed has jumped back up to over 1mg downloading through steam xD Seems to be fixed :o

silvestrae

Post by silvestrae » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 pm

yeah mine is improving now as well, off to do some house work and then ill be back to recheck soon with hopefully a full connection again :)
Thanks Jas