Slow speed - Just changed to 8mbps

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
N30N_F15H

Slow speed - Just changed to 8mbps

Post by N30N_F15H » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi,

My service was scheduled to change to 8mbps from 1.5mbps this morning (like many others I'm sure), and it has changed I believe because the sync speeds have changed in my modem, but the speeds have decreased. When running any speed test I can't get more than 1mbps, last night I could get 1.4mbps, although my upload speed has increased. The service has also been unreliable, with banking sessions timing out and web pages not loading.

Is this normal - Am I supposed to wait a while for things to be working properly?

Any knowledge on this matter would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

speedtest.net

ozspeedtest.com
Test run on 01/12/2010 @ 12:28 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 26.26 secs

Your line speed is 933 kbps (0.93 Mbps).
Your download speed is 117 KB/s (0.11 MB/s).

I've also tried downloading some files with speeds never being more than 120KB/s.

davemgraham

Re: Slow speed - Just changed to 8mbps

Post by davemgraham » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 pm

I did the same as you .....I understand you may need to wait up to 2 days for Telstra to update their end.

However, at least you have internet ! My wife tells me we have no Internet at home

N30N_F15H

Post by N30N_F15H » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm

davemgraham wrote:I did the same as you .....I understand you may need to wait up to 2 days for Telstra to update their end.

However, at least you have internet ! My wife tells me we have no Internet at home
No Internet... My worst nightmare :(

I did read that telstra usually change the connection on the 2nd of the month which was fair enough, but when the connection appeared as though it changed but got worse I thought I'd double check whether it was normal.

Disambiguate

Post by Disambiguate » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:27 pm

You might just want to wait a little while and keep resetting your modem from time to time.

Early in the morning my change to 8Mbps had the same "slow" speed as you are getting but by lunch time i had a near full 8Mbps connection (am averaging 7Mbps on speedtest atm).

N30N_F15H

Post by N30N_F15H » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Disambiguate wrote:You might just want to wait a little while and keep resetting your modem from time to time.

Early in the morning my change to 8Mbps had the same "slow" speed as you are getting but by lunch time i had a near full 8Mbps connection (am averaging 7Mbps on speedtest atm).
I haven't been home since my first post so I shall have to check when I get home and report back.

Thanks for the info!

EDIT

I've just checked and unfortunately it's still the same.

robin

Post by robin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 pm

Same as you, my plan was updated from 1.5M to 8M today as well. Here is my DSL information:

DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 8032 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 19 db
Upstream Margin: 21 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 6
Upstream Line Attenuation: 3
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0
Encapsulation: RFC 2516 PPPoE
Multiplexing: LLC
Qos: UBR
Pcr Rate: 0
Scr Rate: 0
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
Enable: Yes
PVC Status: Applied -- OK

However, when I did the speed test on Speedtest.net, I just got 2.32M for downloading and 0.32 for uploading. Any one knows why? Thx.

N30N_F15H

Post by N30N_F15H » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:11 am

Well everyone, my issue is resolved!

I thought it strange that I couldn't get over 1mbps, so I checked through my modem for something wrong until I came to my QoS settings. It seems someone in my house had switched it on and it was limiting the connection - So I switched it off!

This is the speed test that proceeded the setting change. I am very happy with it, because based on my line stats even 1.5mb seems impossible with a DSL attenuation of 90dB.

robin

Post by robin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 am

N30N_F15H wrote:Well everyone, my issue is resolved!

I thought it strange that I couldn't get over 1mbps, so I checked through my modem for something wrong until I came to my QoS settings. It seems someone in my house had switched it on and it was limiting the connection - So I switched it off!

This is the speed test that proceeded the setting change. I am very happy with it, because based on my line stats even 1.5mb seems impossible with a DSL attenuation of 90dB.

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. My got same problem as you, and switch off Oos. My download speeding is 6.36M now. Very happy. Thx for sharing your experience,