Connection problems on a two computer connection

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
nerdboyxxx

Connection problems on a two computer connection

Post by nerdboyxxx » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi,

I have two computers running on the same ADSL2+ connection from the same modem. After an exetel maintenance update internet access was restored to the computer I am posting from now, however my other computer does not connect to the internet. I similar problem came up before, I found that it was a problem associated with the shared connection. I'm sorry for the lack of proper information but I'm not quite sure what to offer at the current time. If you need additional information, please request it and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the help.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Connection problems on a two computer connection

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Do you have each computer separately connected to its own port at the router; or
does only one computer connect to the modem, and the other to the first computer?

PS If the second, try a switch. I bought an 8 port one today for only $9. If you look carefully a 4 port router doesn't cost much more.

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:33 pm

They are two computers connected at separate ports on the router.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Ok. That shouldn't be configured as a shared connection. Go into the router admin pages, and check:
1 that PPPoE (the Exetel login and password) is handled by the router. It usually is.
2. that the router is a DHCP server. This is default on most (ie, it manages local network addressing).
3. that there are no MAC address firewalls set. Having none is default.
4. That the modem can pick up Exetel's DNS server automatically. This is default.
Your modem probably has a DHCP table which will list all computers currently connected. Check both are. If you change anything, save and reboot the router.

Then go to the second computer, and set it to receive an address automatically (usually the default state). Do not attempt to login ADSL to Exetel from the computer - its a modem/router job. Reboot and it should work.

Sometimes it is necessary to also hard code the Exetel DNS servers in the computer, just in case there is a modem slip up - you''ll know that if external IP addresses load in your browser but URLs don't.

PS The above assumes ethernet connections. Get it working on ethernet first before tackling a wireless connection.

nerdboyxxx

Post by nerdboyxxx » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 am

Thank you very much, this worked for me. Turns out my DNS can't be automatically obtained for some reason or another, and I had to hard code it into the other computer.