QLD drop outs

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Wartai

QLD drop outs

Post by Wartai » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Nearly everyday I have been getting drop outs, also others in QLD have been having the same probs..
I have tried 2 other ADSL modems and still the same prob. It does seem to me a QLD problem.
Last drop out was a few mins ago, at around 3am this morning there was a drop out ..
Im at Maroochydore exchange... DNS server drops first then a few secs the WAN drops out, but ADSL sync is fine
This is getting very annoying

JamesR

Re: QLD drop outs

Post by JamesR » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

I'd have to agree with the OP... December (and even November) has been one for unplanned drop-outs to ADSL2 connections.

Here is the info from my logs:
uptime1.JPG
uptime1.JPG (38.46 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
uptime2.JPG
uptime2.JPG (73.86 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
Normally our connection is very stable, and always online, and I do understand some of these may be in fact "planned" maintenance, but why this month?
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Yep, I am in Brisbane and I have been experiencing these loss of connections also. How about posting some updates about why they are happening Mr. Exetel?

Excellent data JamesR. Those times match the outages I have seen.

lollylee

Post by lollylee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:12 am

I'm also in qld (not sure what exchange thou) and have been experiencing drop-outs since at least mid last week. Its just gone again 5 minutes ago - am posting via iPhone. Would really like to see this fixed or at least some sort of explanation as to why t s happening ...

Wartai

Post by Wartai » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:42 am

Just had another drop out again.. was down for just over 30mins

EDIT:
Stayed up for 10mins then went down again for 9mins

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:16 am

If it's not exchange-wide (ie, very local), do the days correlate with this: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20101 ... 1012.shtml, or your local equivalent?

Pepperoni

Post by Pepperoni » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:25 pm

I registered last night to report the same thing, for the past 2 weeks I have been getting frequent drop outs, at least once a day from 30min to 2 hours and there is never scheduled maintenance.

And every time it happens, I feel like it is raining at the time, and the rain has only been around (Brisbane - Wellington point exchange) for about 2 weeks.

How are they related though? Damaged infrastructure?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 pm

The thought that crossed my mind was flooded or steamed up junction pits in the footpath. The cable joints in these are all encased in a compound and packed into a sealed canister. A few years ago the compound then used was found to not prevent the passage of damp after a few years, and this leads to temporary shorts and line noise, both of which cause drop outs. There are a great number of these junctions, so they get replaced as they are found to be causing trouble. Since the phone is often affected at the same time, listen for crackling, as phone fixes are quickly attended to.

Pepperoni

Post by Pepperoni » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Can anything be done? Who is responsible?

I don't use a home phone I can't test that.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Can you plug one in (filtered)? Even naked shouldn't produce crackling sounds or static.

If you are naked, Optus leases the line from Telstra, You can report faults to Exetel, who may perform some tests and pass the problem back up the line. In the event a pit needs work, Telstra sorts it out.

bulletmark

Post by bulletmark » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Dazzled wrote:The thought that crossed my mind was flooded or steamed up junction pits in the footpath.
Only last Sunday night my connection dropped out for 30 to 50 mins or so at least twice between 5 to 8pm. Thing is, I posted about it on WP at the time and quite a few others around SE Qld experienced the same dropouts at the same times. I did not lose sync, just lost connection and just kept failing authentication for the 30 mins or so. See my WP post at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1600883. Also note from above post that JamesR has plotted those exact same outage times on Sunday night. That ain't a problem in our pits!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Well it had to be considered. There may be a connection with this thread viewtopic.php?f=284&t=37391

Wartai

Post by Wartai » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:24 am

Whatever the problem is, its not local to me (sunshine Coast), since users report the same problem at the same times from different places in Queensland..
The internet just got back up just a minute ago, was down for about 15mins, something has to be done to fix this, it cant be ignored. The problem will only get worse.

supernicko

Post by supernicko » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:10 am

I know mine is down again for the second time tonight. Was only five minutes last time.

Could it be to do with the large amount of rain that South East Queensland has been getting for the last few months? It's been pretty dry so perhaps there are line issues in a lot of places.

Would seem strange though.

lollylee

Post by lollylee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:10 am

And again, 2 drop-outs over the last few hours. The first was at approx 12:05am - 12:15am and the second approx 1:19am - 2:07am.