OCV200 Bundled ADSL with telephone service

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
notoriousft

Re: OCV200 Bundled ADSL with telephone service

Post by notoriousft » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:27 am

Hi

I switched over to OCV200. My wireline shows active under my services section, I can make and receive calls. But I didnt receive any correspondence related to PSTN getting activated and under change service status it still shows the new plan as pending.

What should I do? Submit a ticket to residential support team?

Thanks

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:53 pm

If everything seems to be working as expected with the line itself, I'd hold off on emailing support. Give it a few more days to see if the "change service status" updates before submitting a ticket.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

jimbob

Post by jimbob » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I've been reading various threads about cutting over from Naked to OCV and I don't think I've seen this question asked before.

When we first signup for a naked plan, we didn't bother porting the number as we had moved into a newly connected house anyway. So we just picked a number from the member facilities console.

Now when our PTSN service is reactivated, I'm expecting to be assigned a new telephone number.

But what actually happens to our old VoIP number? Does it get switched off when we cut over or does the VoIP service and DID stay in place?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:16 pm

VoIP numbers survive all sorts of plan changes, because they are a separate Exetel internet based service, not tied to the physical phone line in any way. For example, if you take your ATA to a friend's internet on a different ISP it will still work with your number. If you configure a softphone application on a laptop or 3G mobile with your VoIP service you can use it anywhere there is internet. If you don't want it any more, you can cancel it in the user facility.

The most common VoIP problem showing up in the forum with OCV plans is that most ATA devices with one handset/base station always give priority to VoIP, not PSTN.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:24 pm

jimbob wrote:Now when our PTSN service is reactivated, I'm expecting to be assigned a new telephone number.

But what actually happens to our old VoIP number? Does it get switched off when we cut over or does the VoIP service and DID stay in place?
Speaking from experience, I can confirm what Dazzled posted - you get a new PSTN, and your VoIP service stays active with the DID you've had all along.

jimbob

Post by jimbob » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks Dazzled and Klaas. That all makes sense.

freyja

Post by freyja » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Have had my new OCV200 plan for a week now and have been happy to wait for teething issues to settle down. I have 2 issues though.

1. I cannot seem to configure my new wireline service. When we first went naked the ability to port pstn numbers was not available so now I have a service number from exetel which reflects my very old pstn number but a brand new number from optus since the new plan came into effect.
When going to user facilities I try and manage my wireline service but am told the old pstn number is inactive and I cannot make any changes. I did apply fo an unlisted number with the new service but as I had an unlisted number previously I did not realise this meant that I cannot send my number via caller ID to anyone. I wish to change this so that my friends and family know it is me calling rather than some unknown. Whilst my old service number is appearing in user facilities as my wireline service I cannot do anything about this.

2. Since changing from naked to the OCV200 plan I have had dismal speedtest results. I am a fair distance from the exchange so I never have expected a great deal in the way of speeds but if optus have just decided exetel customers can get the bottom of the barrel speeds then I am unhappy.
In October I bought a new netcomm router as the lovely Belkin we had was no good for VoIP; In November VoIP died altogether and in January I finally called Netcomm and they advised me to send the router back as it was obviously a fault within the router. As I could not find the Belkin in the linen closet I had not done so prior to the new plan starting.
Immediately the new plan came into effect I ( and the rest of the family) noticed a dramatic change in speed. I asked the family to wait to allow things to settle down after the change and I added it could be a router issue. Today we changed back to the beautiful Belkin router and I find that my downstream and upstream speeds are still half of what they were a week ago. It obviously is not the netcomms fault.

I used to get between 4.5 - 5 Mbps down and .7 or .8 Mbps up - Now I am getting far less

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Freyja, do you have the modem line status? Does the slowdown timing relate to the floods when quite a bit of infrastructure damage occurred, or did it occur for the first time the day the phone was reinstated on the line? Have you fitted a filter to your PSTN phone (including any fallback input to the ATA/router)?

freyja

Post by freyja » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Dazzled wrote:Freyja, do you have the modem line status? Does the slowdown timing relate to the floods when quite a bit of infrastructure damage occurred, or did it occur for the first time the day the phone was reinstated on the line? Have you fitted a filter to your PSTN phone (including any fallback input to the ATA/router)?
1. Line status I am unsure exactly what you mean but this is what the modem says ( now )
ADSL Status UP
Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps)
2094 595

I do not seem to have a method of determining if it is an ADSL, ADSL2 or ADSL2+ connection although it is an ADSL2+ router . ( the N1 Vision router is really very good if you do not require VoIP and you want ease of use )

2. The slow down unfortunately relates to the changeover from naked to OCV200. The floods occurred prior to the changeover and even though I expected issues we experienced none. I am on the Noosa Heads exchange if that helps.

3,. We do have the belkin line filter attached to the telephone line atm - I have tried with the dynalink filter, the one that came with the netcomm router, the one that came with the netgear ATA and some random generic brand that we bought along the way. I am more than willing to buy a decent filter if that will help but it is very disconcerting that our slower speeds started at about 5 pm January 31st which is when my pstn line became active.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:08 am

Ugh, an N1. Slickly designed, but they go out of their way to hide information and several manual settings from the user who doesn't know some arcane entry points. It doesn't make sense, all that alphabet soup actually has meaning. I think there is a good reason why mainly chain shops stock devices like this, but that's a digression. Without SNR margins and attenuation it is hard to have much idea of what happened, and you will have to email residentialsupport@exetel.com.au who can look at the line status from their end. Do a modem in isolation test first to rule out interference at home.

The filters that came with your modems, if modern, will all be adequate for an ADSL2 service. They are used for phones only and must not go on the ADSL input to the modem. If they are the splitter type, the ADSL socket is unfiltered and the Line/Phone socket is filtered.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 pm

Did anyone else not get a suburb number prefix? The number I now have for my wireline doesn't start with the first 4 digits typical to my suburb.

Don't care just thought it was odd.

R

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 am

You can check your new number at http://web.acma.gov.au/numb/openAccess/menuInquiry.do. Some areas have acquired additional number combinations, eg see http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/telcomm/te ... 007_no.pdf

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:36 am

rseydler wrote:The number I now have for my wireline doesn't start with the first 4 digits typical to my suburb
I'm in Rdye (029808xxxx) and received a number starting 028084xxxx - using the link Dazzled provided, it's one of 20000 numbers allocated to Optus in the Belrose exchange area :).

I'm not fussed about it either, after all, software does all the routing these days, and there is no longer a direct correlation between the copper to the exchange and the number assigned to it, unlike the good old days of rotary dialing :) .

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 pm

I apologise in advance if this has been asked and answered previously but I couldn't find it..

When I dial out via PSTN can I have the caller id masked to my voip number? I had a hunt through the members facilites but couldn't find a form anywhere.

TIA

Ron

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 pm

rseydler wrote:When I dial out via PSTN can I have the caller id masked to my voip number? I had a hunt through the members facilites but couldn't find a form anywhere.
If you mean "masked" then yes. It can be configured in modem, or use a dialling prefix so that no Called ID appears.

But I suspect you mean "spoofing", in which case: no. I think this was raised a while ago and I'm pretty sure the answer back then was that it was not possible. Otherwise people could spoof any number, which leads to issues with things like voicemail hacking, etc
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au