VOIP on OCV plan

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
sarasvasti

Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by sarasvasti » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions relating to the OCV200/35 that I've signed on for ... apologies if they've been answered already:

1) re mobile service, I've been sent my exetel SIM card ... if I activate it tomorrow (i.e. 20/1/11) and start using it, what does that mean for the rest of this month given the plan doesn't start until 1st Feb? otherwise I'll just top up my prepaid with Optus and not activate my exetel SIM until 1st Feb if that's going to work out better? I recall reading the pro rata thing on the form when I signed it some time ago but not completely sure how it translates here? will i end up paying $35 for Jan for 10 days worth of mobile use?

2) re phone service, i've been advised that my VOIP no. has now been ported to PSTN and the change of plan has been completed. i've been using a different VOIP no. though (i.e. different to the one that has now been ported to PSTN) so I'm not sure what, if anything, i need to do ... nothing has changed, i still call out on that VOIP no. and people call in on it ... will the other PSTN no. just drop into my modem and phone line on the 1st of Feb or do I need to do something on the 1st of Feb? I just have a line from the wall socket into my modem (DSL socket) at present and a line from my modem into my phone ... I do want to use the PSTN line as of 1st of Feb re the free calls.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

sarasvasti

Re: Price Increase For Out Of Contract Customers - Continued

Post by sarasvasti » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:03 pm

One other thing, I've just checked my members facility and it says under 'current ADSL service' that my OCV200/35 contract started on 18/1/11 and ends 18/1/12 but underneath that where it says 'your telephone plan details' it doesn't mention anything about the free calls and instead says:

Local Calls: $0.2 Per Call
STD Calls: $0.15 Per Minute
Calls To Mobiles: $0.35 Per Minute
International calls: click here
0.35 CONNECTION CHARGE APPLIES TO MOBILE CALL, NATIONAL CALL, INTERNATIONAL CALL

Is anyone else in the same boat or can anyone clarify for me?

paulp
Exetel Staff

VOIP on OCV plan

Post by paulp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 am

I have a couple of questions relating to the OCV200/35 that I've signed on for ... apologies if they've been answered already:

1) re mobile service, I've been sent my exetel SIM card ... if I activate it tomorrow (i.e. 20/1/11) and start using it, what does that mean for the rest of this month given the plan doesn't start until 1st Feb? otherwise I'll just top up my prepaid with Optus and not activate my exetel SIM until 1st Feb if that's going to work out better? I recall reading the pro rata thing on the form when I signed it some time ago but not completely sure how it translates here? will i end up paying $35 for Jan for 10 days worth of mobile use?

2) re phone service, i've been advised that my VOIP no. has now been ported to PSTN and the change of plan has been completed. i've been using a different VOIP no. though (i.e. different to the one that has now been ported to PSTN) so I'm not sure what, if anything, i need to do ... nothing has changed, i still call out on that VOIP no. and people call in on it ... will the other PSTN no. just drop into my modem and phone line on the 1st of Feb or do I need to do something on the 1st of Feb? I just have a line from the wall socket into my modem (DSL socket) at present and a line from my modem into my phone ... I do want to use the PSTN line as of 1st of Feb re the free calls.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

1 - The plan will start as per what was ordered. It's up to you how you wish to begin but certainly the mobile plan will begin from when you activate.

2 - If you've been advised that the number has been converted to PSTN then it should simply work. This also means all the other phone outlets should work on this number as well. Another copper pair on the same ULL is activated for telephone so it should work as normal. I've noticed you wanted to use your other VOIP number to make calls and you can do that too. All phones connected directly to the phone socket will use your PSTN. Assuming your router has VOIP capability/or indeed some other ATA device you have will need to have a phone connected to it for the outbound voip.

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm

thank you so much corey and paulp for your responses :) , can I just clarify:

1) re mobile service, you said it will commence as soon as I active the SIM ... but does it work on calendar months i.e. if i activate today, will i be charged the full month of Jan $35 (for the last 10 days of Jan) ... or will it be $35 for 20th Jan to 20th of Feb? if it's the former, i'm better off waiting until start of Feb to activate the SIM so I get a full month's worth for the $35?

2) re the ADSL / PSTN service, i do have a line splitter / filter so I can try that option but i do like the idea of the second option re configuring my modem to allow me to make PSTN calls when using a prefix like ## before dialling and then I imagine I just dial (without the prefix) and it uses the other VOIP no. which is currently configured e.g. for 1300 calls or calls to non-Optus mobiles. I assume I don't need the splitter / filter for option 2? having said that, i don't know exactly how to set that up ... the phone line is currently in phone 1 socket of the modem (dynalink RTA1046VW) ... do i need to unplug it and plug it into the PSTN socket instead? and then how do i configure my modem re this fallback option with the prefix ... or is that asking too much in terms of guidance?

if it's likely to cause a lot of troubleshooting issues in future re using the 2 numbers, i'll just use the splitter / filter but if it is actually a functional workable option then it would be good to make use of both the PSTN line and the VOIP calls in the interests of cost savings.

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Ok, sorry re the ADSL / PSTN question I should have read manual for the modem first, i've just plugged filter / splitter in as it suggests and i can now receive the PSTN calls, i'll have a go at configuring the modem re the prefix thing and let you know if i have any trouble :) thanks :)

paulp
Exetel Staff

Post by paulp » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 pm

1) re mobile service, you said it will commence as soon as I active the SIM ... but does it work on calendar months i.e. if i activate today, will i be charged the full month of Jan $35 (for the last 10 days of Jan) ... or will it be $35 for 20th Jan to 20th of Feb? if it's the former, i'm better off waiting until start of Feb to activate the SIM so I get a full month's worth for the $35?

2) re the ADSL / PSTN service, i do have a line splitter / filter so I can try that option but i do like the idea of the second option re configuring my modem to allow me to make PSTN calls when using a prefix like ## before dialling and then I imagine I just dial (without the prefix) and it uses the other VOIP no. which is currently configured e.g. for 1300 calls or calls to non-Optus mobiles. I assume I don't need the splitter / filter for option 2? having said that, i don't know exactly how to set that up ... the phone line is currently in phone 1 socket of the modem (dynalink RTA1046VW) ... do i need to unplug it and plug it into the PSTN socket instead? and then how do i configure my modem re this fallback option with the prefix ... or is that asking too much in terms of guidance?
1 - If you activate todat it should pro-rata the amount for this month and then charge 1st working day of each month
2 - you would need the filter for each phone socket you do plug your handset in. Im not familiar with that particular modem/router you mentioned but it should have the ability for a 'fallover' with respect to PSTN. so you can set the phone to dial out via phone for certain ranges and then 'fall over' to PSTN for other numbers. How to configure that particular modem you'd need to contact that manufactorer but you can certainly do it that way.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 pm

sarasvasti wrote:Ok, sorry re the ADSL / PSTN question I should have read manual for the modem first, i've just plugged filter / splitter in as it suggests and i can now receive the PSTN calls, i'll have a go at configuring the modem re the prefix thing and let you know if i have any trouble :) thanks :)
The manual should cover it all, but there is also viewtopic.php?f=58&t=36568&p=278972#p278972 for your interest. It mentions an option under Voice / PSTN Control / Prefix digits to dial PSTN phone call where you can set your own prefix like "##"

Alternatively, if you are stuck, make a new thread and I'd expect you'll get a response. Many other users have the Dynalink RTA1046VW and use PSTN fallback
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:55 pm

great, thank you so much, all sorted i believe, had a small issue re getting an engaged signal when dialing the prefix and no. re the PSTN calls but that was sorted thanks to the timely link you sent corey :D (re dazzled's tip about dialing the prefix and phone no. "then" hitting the call button rather than hitting the call button first to get a dial tone before dialing the prefix and no.) so thank you once again :D

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 pm

hi again, i just wanted to mention that since setting up the VOIP and PSTN combination with the filter / splitter in place for this OCV plan, my internet has been much slower and dropping out (several times - after a few minutes each time), have re-booted my modem 2 or 3 times this afternoon. the phone situation appears to be working fine but the internet has become a lot less reliable ... not sure if this is to be expected or is coincidental ... :? has been a bit hard to activate my mobile service etc. with the internet dropping out. i'll monitor it over the next few days and see if it improves. :) thanks :)

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:13 pm

just in case it is of any use - the DSL light on my modem has been either off or flashing and on my modem webpage it says DSL router not ready to connect with either "handshaking" or "training" or often "down". at those times only the power light, the flashing or absent DSL light and the WLAN light are on. then finally all the appropriate lights come on (PPP and VOIP ready lights) and I can use the internet again ... and then they drop out and the DSL light disappears or starts flashing and the internet is down. may just be teething process ... will wait and see :) let me know if it is part and parcel of adding the filter / splitter and asking the modem to do too many things re the PSTN and VOIP with the one handset :)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP on OCV plan

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:28 pm

It means that you've probably filtered it incorrectly, and the phone signal is interfering with the ADSL handshaking and training
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au